Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-07-2013, 08:58 PM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(31-08-2010 09:54 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  What are the books and authors that absolutely everyone should read?

Playing Chess with Pigeons by Chuck Hall
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2013, 12:18 AM
(31-08-2010 02:34 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I highly recommend Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth for any atheist/agnostic who needs some more fuel for debates Tongue

I'd add any and all of the following as pure science books...

Jerry Coyne - Why Evolution is True
Neil Shubin - Your Inner Fish
Donald Prothero - Evolution: What the Fossils Say
Richard Dawkins - The Ancestor's Tale
Sean Carroll - Making of the Fittest
Sean Carroll - Remarkable Creatures
Charles Darwin - On the Origin of Species*
Richard Dawkins - The Blind Watchmaker
Brian Switek - Written in Stone
Nick Lane - Life Ascending

* slightly more effort required, purely as it's 1859 language, but it's still great. Almost had a lump in my throat when I read the magnificent closing paragraphs.
28-08-2013, 07:21 PM
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flammel series by Michael Scott
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery
A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer
Leven Thumps by Obert Skye
Ravished by Amanda Quick
A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Paranormals series by J.L. Bryan
My Only Love by Cheryl Holt
Don't Fear the Reaper by Shyla Colt
21-09-2013, 12:43 AM
I've recently read two, and in the middle of a third novel, by Jose Saramago...a Nobel laureate in literature from Portugal.

The novels "Cain" and "Death with Interruptions" are tales that we non-believers can wrap our minds around... they're present belief in a fairly unflattering way.
21-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
by John Krakauer

Description from http://www.amazon.com:

Quote:Jon Krakauer’s literary reputation rests on insightful chronicles of lives conducted at the outer limits. He now shifts his focus from extremes of physical adventure to extremes of religious belief within our own borders, taking readers inside isolated American communities where some 40,000 Mormon Fundamentalists still practice polygamy. Defying both civil authorities and the Mormon establishment in Salt Lake City, the renegade leaders of these Taliban-like theocracies are zealots who answer only to God.

At the core of Krakauer’s book are brothers Ron and Dan Lafferty, who insist they received a commandment from God to kill a blameless woman and her baby girl. Beginning with a meticulously researched account of this appalling double murder, Krakauer constructs a multi-layered, bone-chilling narrative of messianic delusion, polygamy, savage violence, and unyielding faith. Along the way he uncovers a shadowy offshoot of America’s fastest growing religion, and raises provocative questions about the nature of religious belief.

Krakauer uses the story of a murder of a woman "in the name of God"
to tell the story of the history of the Mormon Church starting with Joseph Smith to the present, and the various polygamist cults derived from this. Krakauer has also written various other books that I recommend, for example "Where Men Win Glory"
about Pat Tillman, who was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan.
21-09-2013, 08:46 PM
The Green Child by Herbert Read

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
25-10-2013, 02:13 PM
(26-06-2013 08:07 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  No offense to any Louis L'amour fans, but the last one I tried I couldn't finish. It came across like a Leave It To Beaver of the west.

Is there a good, gritty, possibly dirty, western novel, or series, out there? One that reads like a Deadwood looks? If that makes any sense.

I haven't read a lot of western novels, but I really liked Thomas Berger's Little Big Man. I liked the movie too, but the book is better. Also Edward Abbey's The Brave Cowboy, which is sort of a modern western novel. Berger also wrote a sequel, but I haven't gotten around to reading that one yet.
25-10-2013, 02:43 PM
"AD 381" and "The Closing of the Western Mind" - both by Freeman
All of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir A.C. Doyle
"Atlas Shrugged" - by Rand
"World Lit Only By Fire" - by Manchester

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
(01-09-2010 08:01 AM)Dregs Wrote:  Frankenstein is my favorite book period! It's a shame no one has ever made a movie that captures the true story as told in the book. They all seem to turn into monster movies no matter how hard they try.

You guys have got to read Christopher Moore he is really the american Douglas Adams!

I also truly believe you would all thoroughly enjoy Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, etc..)

A bit heavier try some Milan Kundera he's a superb writer (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

I was pretty sure Kenneth Branagh did a respectable job, and he didn't just treat it like a monster movie.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com