Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-10-2010, 03:59 PM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(15-10-2010 08:59 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I don't know if I can put it in words, exactly. The beginning was very interesting - the first story arc, I mean - but after that, I just didn't care for it.

Well to each his own, eh? Tongue I didn't know if it was the ending that threw you, most people don't like it but fail to recognize the philosophy involved, which I think makes it all worth it, even if the middle is a little dry.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2010, 02:14 AM

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Smile A very nice book . the adventures are great,
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I recommend Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy; "City of Glass" specifically. It deals with one horrendous result of people taking religious beliefs to the point of an immoral atrocity too great for anybody to defend. It is simultaneously a fascinating look at identity and insanity. I'll just say that at a certain point I just had to cry while reading it.

The other two stories in the trilogy are worth checking out too. They also deal with identity, but I didn't find them as fascinating as "City of Glass".

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
24-10-2010, 10:52 PM
(23-10-2010 02:14 AM)kaye Wrote:  The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Smile A very nice book . the adventures are great,

Wonderful book, Twain won a special place in my heart with that one. He was well beyond his time at least as far as his politics are concerned. I also really enjoyed his vernacular, sticking to that southern dialect the whole way through. He is just brilliant. Smile

06-12-2010, 06:13 AM

Ahh, this is a good topic for me. Smile

Some more kid-friendly books I like- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
The Giver by Lois Lowry
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Other fantastic books- The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
10-12-2010, 01:58 PM

• Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (Dirk Gently Sequel) and The Hitchhiker's series - Douglas Adams
  • Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (beautiful piece of literature, very contraversial)
  • Catch 22 - Joseph Heller (its amazing! should give it a go at least. very funny)
  • Catcher In The Rye - J. D. Sallinger (classic american literature. not the best if you want something with an origanal plot)
  • The Republic of Trees - Sam Taylor (trippy, political shit...i personally love it)
18-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm looking for books to expand my knowledge about biology. It's been months since I read the greatest show on earth and I'm still on a biology "high". Tongue I mention this book because what I know of biology is pretty much limited to what the information covered in it. Any suggestion?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
18-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:Any suggestion?
Biology is a broad subject, so you'd need to specify your interest and try searching your local library. If you just want some basics first, get a school book if you can't find some other 'basic view' on biology (I have my old basic school books on physics, mathematics and biology, and they contain a lot of good information.), then when you'll know what specifics you want to get into the searching is alot easier.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
19-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think my local library would be of much help. but i suppose i could try a school library. They usually let you borrow their books for a deposit. Kudos on the new avatar btw. I like it. Smile

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
19-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:Kudos on the new avatar btw. I like it.
Me too. It's Vaari from the Korpiklaani album covers. He's been on every album/single cover since 2006.
[Image: Korpiklaani---Karkelo.jpg]

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.