Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2018, 08:38 AM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(12-01-2018 06:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Not exactly literature but related.... can anybody recommend DVDs with decent performances of Shakespeare's plays? Any director or company to look for that did them well (just not Olivier)?

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but Kurosawa's Ran is an adaptation of King Lear, and one of the all-time great movies. Mind you, this is hearsay. I bought the DVD and tried to watch it -- and it stalled and refused to go any farther before it even made it through the opening credits. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet (and I suspect that the fault may lie with my DVD player rather than the DVD itself).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
15-01-2018, 09:02 AM
(15-01-2018 08:38 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 06:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Not exactly literature but related.... can anybody recommend DVDs with decent performances of Shakespeare's plays? Any director or company to look for that did them well (just not Olivier)?

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but Kurosawa's Ran is an adaptation of King Lear, and one of the all-time great movies. Mind you, this is hearsay. I bought the DVD and tried to watch it -- and it stalled and refused to go any farther before it even made it through the opening credits. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet (and I suspect that the fault may lie with my DVD player rather than the DVD itself).

Thanks, but I'm looking specifically for the actual Shakespeare. I've found a few box sets but the reviews are all over the place and I'm hesitant to spend the money if I don't think there's at least a decent chance I will like them. There are a lot of modern adaptations like Ran and West Side Story but I'm mainly interested in the originals. I get much more out of watching them performed than just reading them.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-01-2018, 09:25 AM
So, in light of all those lovely, ad-hom, shit-slinging mythicism threads on the forum, which I find both informative and tedious as fuck ... Dodgy

I'm going to recommend a book to any and all - theist and atheist alike.

It's a no nonsense, quick read in which stuff is actually spelled correctly - sex, wine, slavery, Jews, Romans, crucifixion - fun for the entire family. Smile

Under Tiberius by Nick Tosches
[Image: 23731889.jpg]

At least one of you poo-butts better read it because I've been wanting anyone's opinion on it for years. It's been so long since I've read it, I may need to read it again just to recall even major details! Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-01-2018, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2018 09:40 AM by GirlyMan.)
Okay. Here's some literature I recommend. Smile

And this.

But I don't recommend this one. No This is just fucking seriously disturbed. I think she's talking about killing God but she also might be talking about sticking her head in the gas oven. Hobo

#sigh
15-01-2018, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2018 09:59 AM by GirlyMan.)
(15-01-2018 09:25 AM)kim Wrote:  Under Tiberius by Nick Tosches

At least one of you poo-butts better read it because I've been wanting anyone's opinion on it for years. It's been so long since I've read it, I may need to read it again just to recall even major details! Shy

That one sounds good.

I'll read and comment on that one if you comment on Borges' Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-01-2018, 10:06 AM
(15-01-2018 09:38 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That one sounds good.

I'll read and comment on that one if you comment on Borges' Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius. Smile

I have read the Borges story in question (although I'm not sure story is the right word for it), and enjoyed it immensely. However, any substantive comment would be a spoiler, so I'm-a shut up now.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
15-01-2018, 10:08 AM
(15-01-2018 09:38 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

That one sounds good.

Ooh - that sounds really good! Smile

I'll find a translation and get to it. But, warning: I'm a slow reader. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-01-2018, 10:21 AM
(15-01-2018 10:06 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-01-2018 09:38 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That one sounds good.

I have read the Borges story in question (although I'm not sure story is the right word for it), and enjoyed it immensely. However, any substantive comment would be a spoiler, so I'm-a shut up now.

Big Grin

Wanna be a deacon in my new church? It's one of our sacred texts. Along with The Circular Ruins. Yes

#sigh
15-01-2018, 10:30 AM
(15-01-2018 10:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-01-2018 10:06 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have read the Borges story in question (although I'm not sure story is the right word for it), and enjoyed it immensely. However, any substantive comment would be a spoiler, so I'm-a shut up now.

Big Grin

Wanna be a deacon in my new church? It's one of our sacred texts. Along with The Circular Ruins. Yes

Got what looks to be a complete translation - Yale.edu - large type, too. Thumbsup

I'll check out that Circular Ruins, as well. It's snowy time here and my usual distractions have become too distracting. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-01-2018, 02:01 AM
Anybody familiar with Eka Kurniawan books? I wonder if they're worth buying.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.