Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2012, 07:48 PM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(04-01-2012 02:58 PM)oggg Wrote:  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/119489 this book is a good one. This is the book that will threaten the God concept foreverCool

it says that the book is no longer published by Smashwords

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2012, 09:52 AM
I just read 3,096 DAYS by Natascha Kampusch
You might have heard of her at some point. She was abducted when she was 10 years old, after 8.5 years she managed to escape. She wrote a book about her imprisonment and it goes very deep into the psychological side of this.
I can recommend this book, if you are interested in the psychological side of this topic.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 03:15 AM
After reading Natascha Kampusch's book I stumbled across a kind of similar case.
Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was kidnapped at 11 years old and stayed in captivity for 18 years.
She wrote a book about it as well > "stolen life"
I listened to the audio book, she actually read it herself. At first I was a bit annoyed by the way she read it but I understand how difficult it must be to go through this again and the being annoyed was replaced by being amazed.
I can't say this enough, the psychology of this is very interesting and I have high respect for these two women (and everyone else who is in or got out of such a situation) for being able to stay at least kind of sane, to cope, and to work on the future.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm a Science Fiction Fan, and love almost everything by Robert A. Heinlein, but most especially, "Time Enough for Love"

My absolute favorite of anything written even remotely close to the present is the John C. Wright Trilogy, "The Golden Age", "The Phoenix Exultant", and "The Golden Transcendence". DO NOT judge these books by their covers, LOL...the cover art is atrocious! Link to the First Book on Amazon

It's a HARD science fiction story set 10,000 years in the future, LONG after The Singularity, that people like Ray Kurtzweil have been speculating about for years. It's really interesting to see someone really grab that idea and RUN with it. It's a world where even the idea of death is a distant memory, and the ideas of biological life, machine life, and virtual life are completely interchangeable.

It's also extremely gratifying to read a recently written Science Fiction novel about the distant future that doesn't portray the Earth as a post-apocalyptic hell-hole! The future's actually quite bright!

Be warned...it is NOT an easy read, especially the first couple of chapters. The author has to come up with scores of new words to describe ideas and concepts that don't yet exist. But it is WELL worth the effort.
20-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Christopher Hitchens is a fat who likes to lick Buddha's palms of sweat and dreary ice cold saturation... Christopher Hitchens is the bread of my life the soul to my attitudes and the consciousness of my state of attributes that keep touching me unpleasantly... I'll learn how to touch other men from Richard Dawkins thank you
21-02-2013, 09:11 AM
(20-02-2013 07:28 PM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  Christopher Hitchens is a fat who likes to lick Buddha's palms of sweat and dreary ice cold saturation... Christopher Hitchens is the bread of my life the soul to my attitudes and the consciousness of my state of attributes that keep touching me unpleasantly... I'll learn how to touch other men from Richard Dawkins thank you

[Image: dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
08-04-2013, 05:22 AM
I don't know if anyone have already mentioned this, but "the exorcists" is actually a really good read. Way better than anything horror, I've read.
12-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Do we have many Philip K Dickheads around here?
26-06-2013, 08:07 PM
No offense to any Louis L'amour fans, but the last one I tried I couldn't finish. It came across like a Leave It To Beaver of the west.

Is there a good, gritty, possibly dirty, western novel, or series, out there? One that reads like a Deadwood looks? If that makes any sense.

08-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Hello Everybody! Smile
1984 & The Picture of Dorian Gray are 2 of my favorite books.
I'm currently reading Nicholas Nickleby.
Hope you guys have a chance to read them, enjoy!