Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-01-2011, 12:08 PM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(19-01-2011 10:14 AM)Dregs Wrote:  
(19-01-2011 05:48 AM)Gucar Wrote:  Hey im looking for a totaly fucked up book thats interesting from the start (since im no bookworm) im having a hard time finishing books, but this is a school assignment so i realy need some tips. thanks in advance

A Book by Chuck Palahniuk take your pick, Choke, Invisible Monsters, Survivor.

Catch-22

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (defines the fucked uo genre)

found a book but thx for the help, i might look into those after.

if anyone is interested i picked Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince. its a classic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Great Choice, I have a copy with me at all times!
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Fiction:
Enders Game Orson Scott Card
Pariah Bob Fingerman
Hard Bolied, wonderland, and the end of the world Huraki Murakami
Running With Scissors Augutus Burroughs
Madame Bovary Gustav Flaubert
Brave New World Aldous Huxley
The Plague Albert camus
1984 George Orwell
House of leaves Mark Z. Danielewski
Sookie Stackhouse novels(they are horriblly written but damn fun!) Charlaine harris
Non-Fiction:
Atheist universe David Mills
Godless Dan barker
God Delusion Richard Dawkins
People's History of the United States Howard Zinn
that is all I can think of right now.........................
23-05-2011, 08:44 PM

oh... my... god!
literature
is there anything more better... than art (painting)?
i think not

being as i do not read before the depression era because it is in the
modern voice and post-depression is the contemporary voice
here is... my list... of... sweeeet reads:

Nathaniel West: Day of the Locust, Miss Lonelyhearts
John Fante: Ask the Dust, Wait Until Spring Bandindi
John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath

01-06-2011, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 07:17 PM by lucradis.)
I enjoy reading anything by Neil Gaiman, especially his short story collections. Going to look into that collaboration with Dawkins.
I also have an affinity for Stephen King, even though I much prefer anything he wrote as his alter ego Richard Bachman. Namely his story "The Long Walk" His first full novel actually, he wrote it when he was 18 I think.
I think everyone here pretty much reads all the same stuff oddly enough, so no point mentioning Douglas Adams really. But if you get the chance read the Dirk Gently Omnibus, it will make you sad as you read the second story and it just ends.... because Mr. Adams passed before finishing it. Great loss.
I'm also a big fan of the Odd series of books by Dean Koontz, which is funny because although his books are super easy to pick up and read I'm not his biggest fan over all, if he keeps pumping out Odd Thomas books I might have to convert...
Other books are good too, I read a lot as I'm sure most members of this site do, but I can't think of any. Frankenstein is great, Count Of Monte Cristo is looooooong but great.... Books good. Big Grin
(01-06-2011 07:09 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I enjoy reading anything by Neil Gaiman, especially his short story collections. Going to look into that collaboration with Dawkins.
I also have an affinity for Stephen King, even though I much prefer anything he wrote as his alter ego Richard Bachman. Namely his story "The Long Walk" His first full novel actually, he wrote it when he was 18 I think.
I think everyone here pretty much reads all the same stuff oddly enough, so no point mentioning Douglas Adams really. But if you get the chance read the Dirk Gently Omnibus, it will make you sad as you read the second story and it just ends.... because Mr. Adams passed before finishing it. Great loss.
I'm also a big fan of the Odd series of books by Dean Koontz, which is funny because although his books are super easy to pick up and read I'm not his biggest fan over all, if he keeps pumping out Odd Thomas books I might have to convert...
Other books are good too, I read a lot as I'm sure most members of this site do, but I can't think of any. Frankenstein is great, Count Of Monte Cristo is looooooong but great.... Books good. Big Grin

Oh and "Day Of The Triffids" is a great read... horrible tv movie though... as most things on tv are.

(24-09-2010 08:34 AM)Green Wrote:  Alright, here's what I think is a good idea to read Tongue

The Watchmen by Alan Moore
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
Les Belles Soeurs by Michel Tremblay
Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr.
Seed to Harvest by Octavia E. Butler
A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe
"Master Harold" ... and the Boys by Athol Fugard
The Collected Works of Billy The Kid by Michael Ondaatje
Escape From Freedom by Erich Fromm
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
Overclocked by Cory Doctorow
Neuromancer by William Gibson
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Canterbury Tales by Geoffry Chaucer
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by The "Gawain"/"Pearl" poet (Anonymous)

And, of course...

EVERYTHING by Shakespeare

If you're curious about any of those books feel free to look them up on Wiki or ask me, I'd be glad to enlighten Smile Those are only a fraction of my collection, so if you'd like to read more and like my suggestions I'd be more than willing to offer more. Smile

Also a big fan of shakespear... not sure why people in highschool had a hard time reading it. I bet you had to order Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick online... Unless your local bookstore is amazing, if so I am jealous.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
(01-06-2011 07:09 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I bet you had to order Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick online... Unless your local bookstore is amazing, if so I am jealous.

I had to read it for a Science Fiction literature course at my University so the school bookstore had them, otherwise I have no experience in trying to locate a copy Tongue

17-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Well I'm sure this recomendation will go over like a fart in church, but here goes. The book is Alchemy by Mike Wood, and its self published and available on Kindle for $0.99. The hard copy is available too, but for normal price. It's a really great coming of age story, with lots of nostalgia for 40 somethings. It's a reall nice story too. Great summer read for a buck.
16-12-2011, 09:08 AM
This thread is a little old, but I just finished reading Nation by Terry Pratchett and I highly recommend it. I was on a five hour train ride and I couldn't put it down.

Here is a quote I wanted to share:

"That’s what the gods are! An answer that will do! Because there’s food to be caught and babies to be born and life to be lived and so there is no time for big, complicated, and worrying answers! Please give us a simple answer, so that we don’t have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don’t fit the way we want the world to be."

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 3 users Like Smooshmonster's post
18-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I highly recommend the Bernie Gunther series of noir mysteries by Philip Kerr. The first three shorter novels can be purchased in one thick book called Berlin Noir; the rest of the series are longer, more recently published books that can be easily found on Amazon, etc. All are excellent and need to be read in order to fully appreciate them.

For non-fiction, I also reccomend The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klien. This book will open your eyes to reality.

Adam Hall's Quiller series of espionage novels make the James Bond books by Ian Fleming juvenile and amatuerish in comparison (and I have always been a huge fan of 007 movies). Faster-paced, stripped-to-the-bone, more intense thriller novels have never been written.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
04-01-2012, 02:58 PM
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/119489 this book is a good one. This is the book that will threaten the God concept foreverCool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Recommend some comics/graphic novels to me??? Escape Artist 4 110 24-03-2014 04:05 AM
Last Post: MegaHentai
  Bible as Literature mylittlepretender 7 376 19-08-2013 10:11 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  Atheists review Christian literature? Escape Artist 5 280 16-08-2013 07:44 AM
Last Post: Escape Artist
Wink Russian History and Literature elegant_atheist 5 201 01-08-2013 11:49 PM
Last Post: Swedgen
Question the best atheist literature BladeofNothingness 4 737 20-06-2013 05:02 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  Introduction to New Testament History and Literature Erxomai 5 681 08-05-2012 10:09 PM
Last Post: Mr Woof
  Atheist Literature Blabibla 3 1,505 20-02-2012 12:52 AM
Last Post: Erxomai