Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-09-2010, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2010 04:32 PM by ebilekittae.)
RE: Recommend Some Literature
I'm not sure what's being defined as literature in this thread, but I have a couple suggestions.

I would also recommend The Bible Dliemma by M. L. Gutierrez. It's a comprehensive list of all the atrocities and contradictions found in the Bible listed in the order that they appear in the Bible. You can find it on Amazon as well.

EDIT: I was thinking of Your Religion is False, not Everything you Know about God is Wrong! The former is the comedic educational book that I recommend. I also have Everything You Know About God is Wrong but I haven't read it yet. I'm sorry for my misunderstanding and any confusion I might have caused here! =P [End Edit]

I'll admit I haven't been fond of reading... at all, really, until I started looking into atheism. The best sources I found on the arguments were moreso in books than online, so I was forced to read. Ever since it's stuck with me a lot better, although for some reason I'm still mainly only reason nonfiction. =P Not that that's a bad thing, I guess. I'll definitely look into the aforementioned books!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 06:31 PM

(01-09-2010 02:47 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Dregs> I agree. Try it again now though. Once you know Palahniuks style, it's an easier read.

I had read his whole catalog prior to Pygmy, but still couldn't get into it. I'll admit I may have not been in the right state of mind, but its still a much tougher read than most of his books.
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 03:49 AM

(01-09-2010 02:03 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Some worthwhile readings re atheism:

The Portable Atheist: Essential readings for the Nonbeliever – Christopher Hitchens. ISBN-10: 0306816083 ISBN-13: 978-0306816086

THIS.

Seriously, THIS. It brought out ideas that I had never considered. I was already an Atheist, but it still opened my eyes. this compilation rounded out my philosophical arguments against religion so much that I named my blog after it.

when it says "Essential readings for the non-believer", they're not kidding.

however, on the lighter side, I am a huge Stephen King fan, and a Palahniuk fan. Though Pygmy was terrible. But if i were to recommend an author, I would recommend Stephen Lawhead. He's openly religious, and it shows in his books. But if you don't mind it a bit, and you're secure in your convictions, then you can pass by it.

And i love anyhting by Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore
(01-09-2010 06:31 PM)Dregs Wrote:  
(01-09-2010 02:47 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Dregs> I agree. Try it again now though. Once you know Palahniuks style, it's an easier read.

I had read his whole catalog prior to Pygmy, but still couldn't get into it. I'll admit I may have not been in the right state of mind, but its still a much tougher read than most of his books.

I've read everything by Palahniuk as well, and I couldn't stand Pygmy. I actually put it down, which I never do. The only reason I kept it is to round out my collection
02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Well I didn't mind Pygmy. So both of you need to stop trying to opress me dammit! I have the right to like whatever book I want!!! Besides, if you don't like Pygmy....you suck!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2010, 07:26 AM

(02-09-2010 07:18 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well I didn't mind Pygmy. So both of you need to stop trying to opress me dammit! I have the right to like whatever book I want!!! Besides, if you don't like Pygmy....you suck!!!!!!!!!!!

Help I'm being Opressed! Come look at the violence inherant in the system! Big Grin

BTW "You Suck" by Christopher Moore is a fantastic book! Wink
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
LMAO, yes it is actually. Very entertaining.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I generally read a lot of non-fiction and history. For fiction, I'd recommend:

"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett (interesting book for this crowd). I also liked the sequel "Worlds without End".

I just finished "Winter of our Discontent" by Steinbeck and am now reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" By Hemingway.

I'm not a huge Stephen King fan because I think the man writes horrible endings, but I enjoy most of his books -- until the end. The Stand was a great book but the ending just ruined it for me. I felt the same way about his other books I've read. Great story teller but can't get out of it.

Not sure what else, I'll have to give it some thought. I read a lot, but can't think of any books right now.

btw, one non-fiction I'd suggest is "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis. Tells all about how we got into our current financial mess and who's responsible. Great read, but make sure you have a bucket near you because it will make you want to vomit.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
02-09-2010, 01:28 PM
The only 'story books' I've enjoyed reading were ''Mikael Karvajalka'' and its sequel ''Mikael Hakim'' by Mika Waltari. Its been about a year since I last read a book with a story, nowadays I only like informative books, like ''the greatest show on earth'' by Dawkins.
I just finished ''evolution and human nature'' by Petri Ylikoski and Tomi Kokkonen, but it was mostly about the problems with the research of the subject, the problems of human-science, how to interpret evidence correctly, some examples when research results have been interpret incorrectly and other stuff like that.

I got all excited when I saw some presentation by Lawrence Krauss on youtube and loaned his book ''Atom''. After a 100 pages I noticed that I dont really get it, so now Im starting it again with my good ol' buddies: internet and my old higher basic school physics book.Smile
I recommend ''the greatest show on earth''.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
02-09-2010, 02:12 PM

Oh Crap! I almost forgot, if you really want to feel good about your life then grab yourself a book by Augusten Burroughs! He writes mostly memoirs of his life and it was seriously f---ed up! Start with Running With Scissors you won't be dissapointed.
03-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Noam Chomsky if you want an overdose of political truth.