Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-01-2015, 06:49 PM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(16-01-2015 11:51 AM)thesummerqueen Wrote:  Better yet, LISTEN to The Night Circus on audio, because Jim Dale makes Morgenstern's words shiver through you like a Neruda poem.

I tried listening to Robinson Crusoe once... A very good method to fall asleep. lol Tongue

The book you suggested sounds interesting though.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 08:34 PM
It is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read in my life.

I don't like to describe it, because it sounds so silly trying to frame the feeling into words, so generally I tell people this:

Have you ever watched the old version of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? The one with Gene Wilder?

Do you remember the feeling you got when he stood before the doors of the inner sanctum of his factory and murmured, "Close your eyes...make a wish...count to three..."

This book is filled with that feeling, and so much more. It's as dark and tangy and sweet as the caramel descriptor that constantly pervades it. It has terrible moments of pain, and exquisite moments of imagination. And it loses none of those things for the rereading.

There are so many fantastic opening lines to great novels. This one hardly counts as something that will go down in a book of quotations, like the firsts from "Pride & Prejudice" or "Anna Karenina". But once you've read the book, it is forever the line describing that wonderful childlike anticipation that Wilder captured for Wonka.

"The circus arrives without warning."

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
19-01-2015, 03:05 AM
Thank you summerqueen. It does sound like an intriguing book, from what I perceived skimming through the Wikipedia article (mostly to avoid spoilers), it reminded me somehow of Tim Burton and if it resembles anything of his style, I'll certainly love it. I might love it even if it doesn't resemble it, but I'm just referring to something I already know. Tongue

My recommendations are:

1. Harry Potter. Really, if you didn't read it, you're missing out.
2. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I think it's my fave book from Agatha Christie. Yes, even over The murder on the Orient Express.
3. All the 4 books of Sherlock Holmes (not the stories, I mean the books).

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
25-04-2015, 10:53 AM
If I were to recommend books that one should read it would be:
- The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhaíl Bulgakov
- Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
- Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennett
- The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker
- A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing by Lawrence Krauss
- The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
- The Russian Revolution by Richard Pipes

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.

Epicurus.