Recommend Some Literature

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
17-03-2010, 11:30 AM
RE: Recommend Some Literature
(17-03-2010 11:24 AM)Juppers Wrote:  Didn't that inspire Ridley Scott's Blade Runner? Great movie...

Yep, DADOES was the book that inspired Blade Runner Smile But the two are drastically different... Good in their own respects, but in my opinion the book is far superior in tackling difficult philosophical questions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Can't really add any of these great sounding books to my To-Read list since there are already over 80 on it Tongue But I can recommend a couple.

The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan is really good. 12th book in the series recently came out and there are either 1 or 2 more depending on how Jordan's wife decided to break the last one up for publishing (he died before he could finish but his wife and friend are finishing for him using the extensive amount of notes he left). It's fantasy fiction and has been heralded by some reviews as surpassing The Lord of the Rings and others with a similar genre.

Title: Contact
Author: Carl Sagan
Genre: Science Fiction
Gist: A radio astronomer detects a signal from space which turns out to be a message from a extraterrestrial intelligence. Very scientifically accurate (its Sagan, of course its as accurate as possible), educational and entertaining (once again, Sagan!). Touches on religion, politics, aliens, astronomy, humanitarianism, and much more. Personally I thought it was a great read, couldn't put it down.

Title: The Age of Reason
Author: Thomas Paine
Genre: Uh, religious critique essay? If such a genre exists... if not I just made it. Its official ppl.
Gist: Brilliant analysis of the Bible as a piece of historical literature, and subsequent dicing up of the credibility and authenticity of each book in The Book. Written in two parts during the 1790's Paine uses the chronology of the Bible itself to prove that the purported authors of a large number of books are wrong and in some cases impossible, since some were dead long before 'their' books were written, notably Moses and the first 5 books attributed to his authorship. Although he argues on behalf of deism a large number of his views expressed toward nature and the laws of the universe are very near pantheism, which is a hell of a lot better and more respectable than some of the alternatives. All in all an interesting and thought-provoking read I recommend to all atheists, and theists if they can stomach his sarcastic wit and caustic statements on biblical violence.
Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Title: Childhood's End
Authors: Arthur C. Clarke

What happens when, suddenly, a race of aliens appear in large space ships over Earth's capital cities and demand obedience? They eliminate war, poverty, animal cruelty, and turn Earth into a utopia. However, a dark, secret, motivation arises and Humanity faces it's next stage in evolution... Could this mean the extinction of homo sapiens?

Title: The Lathe of Heaven
Author: Ursula K. LeGuin

George Orr can change reality with his dreams, however only he and the people immediately around him will know how reality has changed, or that it has changed at all. He attempts to use drugs to suppress his dreams but when the authorities catch on he is sent to a psychiatrist... When his psyche figures out how George's powers work he will try to manipulate George's dreams to make a better world... But can he?

05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
TITLE: Lord of Light
AUTHOR: Roger Zelazny
GENRE: Science Fiction
Millenia in the future, the fabled planet known as "Urath", birthplace of mankind, has long vanished into the stars. Humans have spread across the galaxy, seeking new homes. One such world saw the arrival of a group of travelers known as the First.
The First took this new world, wrested it from the species inhabiting its surface, and shaped it as they willed. Through extreme training, they cultivated psychic abilities and created incredible pieces of technology which they could use to bring this new world further into glory.
But they did not.
Instead, they gave the other human inhabitants of the world only enough technology to survive, locking them firmly under their control. Now they rule the world as the gods of the Hindu pantheon, lording over the planet with the powers bestowed by their superior technology and using the lives of the common people as playthings.
All but one: Mahasamatman, Tathagatha, Great-Souled Sam, the Buddha, rejected the peace and power of a place in Heaven to defy the gods on behalf of the people of this new world. Now he wanders among the cities, sowing dissent, raising an army, and plotting for the day when he will rip Heaven asunder and return to the people that which was withheld from them...

----------

Easily Zelazny's greatest work. If you read nothing else that I have recommended, read this. This was the single greatest science fiction novel I have ever read, better even than Dune or Hyperion.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
06-05-2010, 07:08 AM

OK here are some GREAT writers that I think you all will enjoy!

Chuck Palahniuk: You could start with Fight Club (even if you've seen the movie) as it's actually fun to read Palaniuk because of the interesting style he rights in. I'd also highly reccomend Survivor, Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, and Choke.

Augusten Burroughs: He has so far written mostly memoirs of various stages of his life, and trust me this guy has had quite the fucked up life! I would absolutely start with Running With Scissors, but you'll read more trust me!

Christopher Moore: Quite honestly probably the funniest American writer out there! He is simply put FANTASTIC! Every book is worth reading, but for this crowd you have to start with Lamb. If there is a writer on this list you should check out its Christopher Moore, really!

Milan Kudera: If you're in the mood for some heavier philisophical stuff Milan is your man. The Unbearable Lightness of Being would be the place to start. He's a master.

Stephen King: Already mentioned but I agree whole heartedly!

I'm assuming you all have read Douglas Adams, Right?? If not why?!

Happy reading!
06-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Of course we've read Adams. Everyone has read Adams. My little sister has read Adams, and she doesn't read anything.

Something you may be interested in, though - the vast majority of Adams' fans are also Terry Pratchett fans. He is, in my opinion, hands-down the greatest writer who ever lived. He's funny, smart, a brilliant author... go check out his Discworld series the next time you get a chance. I guarantee you won't regret it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
07-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Twilight
by Stephanie Meyer

Abstract - A case study in psychological abuse and codependency in mortal-supernatural relationships.

Subject - Isabella Swan (real name concealed for protection)

A young woman with an extreme lack of self-identity who pursues a series of relationships with highly dangerous, trans-mortal beings, ultimately to her own unfortunate destruction.

[/i]
07-05-2010, 08:11 PM
If you seriously just recommended that, I'm afraid I'm going to have to forcibly remove your trachea.

We do not take kindly to Twilight fans. >:E

07-05-2010, 08:33 PM

(07-05-2010 08:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  If you seriously just recommended that, I'm afraid I'm going to have to forcibly remove your trachea.

We do not take kindly to Twilight fans. >:E

Er, given the way I presented it, I'd have hoped it came across as a sarcastic joke. As an avowed Romantic, I find Twilight the antithesis of literature.
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I was trying to have mine come across as a joke too.

Hahaha... ha... ha...

Let us never speak of this failure again.