Recommend an Op-Ed piece

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2017, 10:40 AM
RE: Recommend an Op-Ed piece
(01-07-2017 06:17 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 01:28 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Should the EU referendum result be annulled? For the past year I’ve been arguing that this would mean defying a democratic decision – even if it was informed by lies. Democracy is not negotiable. But what if this was not a democratic decision? What if it failed to meet the accepted criteria for a free and fair choice? If that were the case, should the result still stand? Surely it should not.

If they agree the process was corrupted, they can always call for a second vote.

I suppose they can but I don't see much reason to care.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-07-2017, 11:23 AM
A Graceless President

For me this hits home, I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I read this. First time I’ve heard Trump being called graceless and boy does it fit.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-07-2017, 04:37 PM
(06-07-2017 11:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  A Graceless President

For me this hits home, I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until I read this. First time I’ve heard Trump being called graceless and boy does it fit.

Gracelessness is just one fascet of trump that is problematic. There are many others.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-07-2017, 01:43 AM
How Populists Win When They Lose

Today, it appears that every single election in Europe can be reduced to one central question: “Is it a win or a loss for populism?” Until the Netherlands’ election in March, a populist wave – or, as Nigel Farage, the former leader of the UK Independence Party, put it, a “tsunami” – seemed irresistible. Now, however, the wave has suddenly receded: following Emmanuel Macron’s big wins in France’s presidential and legislative elections, we are supposedly living in a “post-populist moment.”

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Brexit on the Brink

For an insight into Britain’s drastic choice and what it means for the European project, try taking an outside view – from just outside the EU’s borders.

Mikhail Bakunin.
31-07-2017, 08:16 AM
WTF America?

Donald Trump’s Behavior is Abnormal

Excerpts:

"That's weird. It's intentionally dehumanizing an entire group of people, which I'll get to in a moment, but it's also just weird. Weird in a way that if someone at a bar told you that story you’d excuse yourself and walk away as quickly as possible.”

"Again, if you're an adult sitting in a bar, you walk away from the 71-year-old who starts regaling you with tales of yacht sex. But these were kids, and again, that’s really weird.”

"But rather than firing Sessions or working out the problems, Trump is dragging his former friend through the public square. Tweeting that Sessions is weak. Accusing him of not doing his job. Telling reporters who ask if the attorney general will be fired: "We'll see what happens."

The president is publicly humiliating Sessions. That's not normal.

It's cruel. It's a bully tactic. And it’s sadistic.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
16-08-2017, 11:36 AM
The Looking Glass

"Well, after today, there are no bystanders. You can’t sit this one out. If you choose not to get involved, you’re involved. If you don’t speak up, you’re speaking volumes. If you’re not against Donald Trump, you’re with him.”

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Angry White Boys

Quote: A Charlottesville protester named Nicholas J. Fuentes, raging against the “rootless transnational elite,” vows: “You will not replace us.” I have reviewed the passenger manifest of the Mayflower, and there is not a single “Fuentes” to be found. Indeed, the rowdier white-power element in Texas, where I live, would very much like to see every man bearing the name “Fuentes” set down on the southerly side of a muddy little river that runs through Laredo.

Quote: The proprietor of one of the nation’s premier websites for neo-Nazi knuckleheads advised his colleagues in Charlottesville that, after the protest — which included a murder — “random girls will want to have sex with you.” I ran this proposition past a few random girls, and I suspect that the apfelstrudelführers are going to go home disappointed. There are many shades of white, and Mom’s-basement white is the least popular crayon in the box.

Quote: What does an angry white boy want? The fact that they get together to play dress-up — to engage in a large and sometimes murderous game of cowboys and Indians — may give us our answer. They want to be someone other than who they are. That’s the great irony of identity politics: They seek identity in the tribe because they are failed individuals. They are a chain composed exclusively of weak links. What they are engaged in isn’t politics, but theater: play-acting in the hopes of achieving catharsis.

(16-08-2017 11:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ¨. . .If you don’t speak up, you’re speaking volumes. If you’re not against Donald Trump, you’re with him.”

Where have I heard that before...? Consider

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
16-08-2017, 08:03 PM
(16-08-2017 11:54 AM)TSG Wrote:  "What does an angry white boy want? The fact that they get together to play dress-up — to engage in a large and sometimes murderous game of cowboys and Indians — may give us our answer. They want to be someone other than who they are. That’s the great irony of identity politics: They seek identity in the tribe because they are failed individuals. They are a chain composed exclusively of weak links. What they are engaged in isn’t politics, but theater: play-acting in the hopes of achieving catharsis.”

QFT
Failed individuals.

16-08-2017, 08:06 PM
(16-08-2017 11:54 AM)TSG Wrote:  
(16-08-2017 11:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ¨. . .If you don’t speak up, you’re speaking volumes. If you’re not against Donald Trump, you’re with him.”

Where have I heard that before...? Consider

If someone would have told me during the W administration that I would someday look back and say I wish he were president again instead of the new guy I would have never believed you. No

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post