Recommend an Op-Ed piece

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2017, 08:24 AM
RE: Recommend an Op-Ed piece
The Real Reason Jeff Bezos Grinds Trump’s Gears

"Rather, the very existence of Bezos seems to drive Trump crazy. Trump’s image, to himself and his fans, is that of alpha male — the dominant primate in the room. Simply by going about his business (and largely ignoring Trump), Bezos refutes that claim. He is a far more admired and influential businessman than Trump and, of course, immeasurably richer. (Bezos doesn’t have to hide his financial records to maintain the appearance of wealth.)”

Bezos2020

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-08-2017, 12:12 PM
An apology to Donald Trump, from the ‘fake news' media

Very clever. Yes

"While I'm apologizing for Nazi stuff, I'm sorry I entered your brain and forced you to express sympathy for Jeffrey Lord, a commentator who was recently fired from CNN for tweeting "Sieg Heil!" at the head of a liberal watchdog group.”

Laugh out load

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Political Violence is not Okay
I don't always agree with everything Ben Shapiro says (I don't like it when people label their enemies as "The Left" or "The Right"), but at the very least his ideas are worth thinking about. Especially in this instance, where I agree with most of what he's saying.

Quote:So, what’s scarier: a thousand pasty and pathetic would-be tough guys marching around in the middle of the night shouting, “Jews will not replace us,” then weeping openly when arrest warrants are issued for violence, or the mainstream Left embracing violence in the streets? Some college-age dweeb goose-stepping around with a flag created 50 years before his birth, or somebody punching that guy, to the cheers of the media?

Quote:Yes, Nazis should be vigorously opposed — with words. If they break the law, the police should arrest them. But if we begin to legitimize political violence, where will the Left draw its lines? Antifa believes that all of its enemies are fascists, from actual white supremacists to normal Republican marchers in Portland, Ore. We’ve already seen the Left shrug off political violence in Boston at a rally labeled white supremacist — even though the rally organizers explicitly denounced white supremacism publicly. How far will the Left go to wink at violence?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
31-08-2017, 09:54 AM
The Incredible Shrinking President

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
31-08-2017, 10:11 AM
There Are No Conservatives in Knee Deep Water

Killer piece.

"There are no conservatives in waist-deep water. Like an atheist in a foxhole, Texas conservatives are praying to Washington for help. Those trapped in the flood in Houston realize that they depend on the kindness of strangers. In Houston, no man is an island. A disaster of this magnitude swamps the capacity of the private nonprofit sector to respond, much less random strangers with a boat.

These are the times that try conservatives’ souls. They’d really like to think that individual liberty and responsibility is the answer to every problem, but every now and then it occurs to them that there are some problems that demand a collective solution. Natural disasters, public health, the common defense, the general welfare and other public goods.”

"The floods may open their eyes to the value of taking collective action not just after a storm hits, but also beforehand. Maybe they’ll begin to appreciate federal agencies like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that provide the warnings that save lives. And the Federal Emergency Management Agency that helps cities and towns prepare for the inevitable, and that helps us recover and rebuild afterward. Not to mention the Coast Guard.”

"But individual responsibility isn’t adequate when we face a common danger. We need to work together, just as the public first-responders and private volunteers are working together in Houston to save lives. We can’t afford to live as if nobody else exists anymore.”

[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
31-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Opinion: John Brummett: The Real Fake News

His first few paragraphs:
Quote:I got an adult dose of real fake news the other night on a local television station.

It came via a fellow called Boris Epshteyn. He is a Republican political operative and lawyer who, until March, was a White House employee coordinating surrogate cable news spokesmen for President Trump.

Now he's "chief political analyst" for Maryland-based Sinclair Broadcasting Group, the largest chain of local television stations in the country. That means the Russian-born Boris is the designated Donald Trump propagandist for a national pro-Trump broadcasting syndicate.

I do not overstate. Sinclair made a deal last year with the Trump campaign to broadcast exclusive interviews with him--free advertising--in exchange for special access.

Do you remember when the Montana Republican congressional candidate body-slammed a reporter a few months ago for committing real journalism by asking him a question he didn't want? A Montana NBC affiliate owned by Sinclair initially refused to cover the incident. One of Sinclair's top executives sent a contribution to that assailant, according to Politico.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
31-08-2017, 09:25 PM
(31-08-2017 01:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Opinion: John Brummett: The Real Fake News

Quote:I got an adult dose of real fake news the other night on a local television station.

It came via a fellow called Boris Epshteyn. He is a Republican political operative and lawyer who, until March, was a White House employee coordinating surrogate cable news spokesmen for President Trump.

Now he's "chief political analyst" for Maryland-based Sinclair Broadcasting Group, the largest chain of local television stations in the country. That means the Russian-born Boris is the designated Donald Trump propagandist for a national pro-Trump broadcasting syndicate.

I do not overstate. Sinclair made a deal last year with the Trump campaign to broadcast exclusive interviews with him--free advertising--in exchange for special access.

Do you remember when the Montana Republican congressional candidate body-slammed a reporter a few months ago for committing real journalism by asking him a question he didn't want? A Montana NBC affiliate owned by Sinclair initially refused to cover the incident. One of Sinclair's top executives sent a contribution to that assailant, according to Politico.

Scariest thing I've read today.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-09-2017, 09:19 PM
(31-08-2017 09:25 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 01:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Opinion: John Brummett: The Real Fake News

Scariest thing I've read today.

Ditto. If you've seen John Oliver's segment on Sinclair, their merger with Tribune means they'll have the local markets of double digit millions of American households cornered.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user