Recommend some comics/graphic novels to me???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Recommend some comics/graphic novels to me???
So I'm reading Brian K. Vaughan's Saga Vol. 2 and I really like it (just as much as I liked the first volume) and I've got Vol. 3 that I'll be reading soon as it comes out next week. Beyond that, I think there are more issues of it out there, but I prefer to wait until they're put into a volume with multiple issues.

The thing is, once I'm finished with this one, I'm not sure where to go next. I am not so much into superheroes, so that's kind of out. I was curious as to how those of you who read comics/graphic novels go about finding new series to get into. I came across Saga here on the site when someone posted they were reading it and the artwork caught my eye. I didn't actually get the thing until way down the line, but still.

Are there any websites y'all know of or would recommend that maybe tell about new comics and stuff coming out each week and give reviews? Are there any comics or graphic novels that you've enjoyed that you'd recommend to me, based on my enjoyment of Saga? Thanks! Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2014, 06:24 PM
RE: Recommend some comics/graphic novels to me???
I generally browse the Previews catalog that comes out at the end of every month. There's usually something worth seeing there. Barring that, I'll swing by a big-box bookstore about three or four times a year just to look for something that seems interesting. That's how I found Doubt, which was a captivating read.

Meanwhile, I'm assuming you've read Preacher...?

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes MegaHentai's post
22-03-2014, 08:42 PM
(22-03-2014 06:24 PM)MegaHentai Wrote:  I generally browse the Previews catalog that comes out at the end of every month. There's usually something worth seeing there. Barring that, I'll swing by a big-box bookstore about three or four times a year just to look for something that seems interesting. That's how I found Doubt, which was a captivating read.

I am brand-spanking-new to comics, no joke. Saga is my first venture into that world. I will have to check those two out. Thanks!

And yeah, just browsing through is always a good way. But sometimes someone will recommend something that you might have ordinarily passed up, so I figured I'd ask. I will have to give Previews a look then, too! Big Grin I wasn't aware of it.

23-03-2014, 01:01 AM
(22-03-2014 08:42 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 06:24 PM)MegaHentai Wrote:  I generally browse the Previews catalog that comes out at the end of every month. There's usually something worth seeing there. Barring that, I'll swing by a big-box bookstore about three or four times a year just to look for something that seems interesting. That's how I found Doubt, which was a captivating read.

I am brand-spanking-new to comics, no joke. Saga is my first venture into that world. I will have to check those two out. Thanks!

And yeah, just browsing through is always a good way. But sometimes someone will recommend something that you might have ordinarily passed up, so I figured I'd ask. I will have to give Previews a look then, too! Big Grin I wasn't aware of it.

If you want a classic, grab Watchmen. However it will probably have a lot more impact if you're more familiar with the whole super-hero genre in general. The same goes for WANTED, as both finding meaning in playing off of typical comic hero tropes.

[Image: 41chVzBhJiL.jpg]

[Image: wanted.jpg]

This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin.

One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.

-Watchmen

Wesley Gibson is a loser cubicle rat who is abused by almost everyone in his life, including his female overweight African-American boss, a local Latino gang, his unfaithful girlfriend, and his best friend with whom his girlfriend is having an affair. Wesley was raised by his pacifist mother after they were abandoned by his father, causing him to grow up into a wimp. All this changes when he is visited by the Fox, an assassin who shoots everyone in a sandwich shop before revealing herself to be a member of the Fraternity, a powerful organization of supervillains that rules the world. So long as they maintain secrecy, they are able to commit any crime without any consequences. The Fraternity wishes to recruit Wesley to replace his father, a supervillain known as the Killer, who was killed by an unknown assassin.
-WANTED

Also, the Zack Snyder directed movie version of Watchmen is a fairly faithful adaptation of the spirit of the comic, so you could skip it and just watch the movie. However the Wanted movie with Angelina Joliee is nothing like the comic.

In short, watch this...

[Image: watchmen-theatrical-poster-big.jpg]

...but skip this.

[Image: 841253-angelina_jolie_wanted_movie_poster_.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-03-2014, 04:05 AM
(22-03-2014 08:42 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I am brand-spanking-new to comics, no joke. Saga is my first venture into that world. I will have to check those two out. Thanks!

No reason you would be if you're just starting in comics -- it's only found in comic book specialty stores, and usually only given out to people who have regular subscriptions there. In the meantime, I'll throw out a couple of recommendations:

Preacher

[Image: 511SGF3QSEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Like I said before. Jesse Custer, a small-town preacher, gains the power of a demon/angel hybrid which has power on par with God's. Upon learning that God has abandoned his creation, Jesse sets out to bring God to answer to humanity. Accompanied by his pistol-packing ex-girlfriend and an Irish vampire, Jesse travels America and the world looking for the Lord.

Preacher is violent, obscene, profane, and absolutely awesome. It's a what-if-God-was-real story from an ardent atheist, which is one reason I'd recommend it to anyone on this forum regardless of their usual tastes.

Transmetropolitan

[Image: 51Yt19bFozL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem left The City years ago to live a hermit's life. When his publisher reminds him that he still owes them two books, Spider must return to The City for the presidential election. His return has an effect that even Spider could not have predicted, and he soon finds himself a hunted man.

Transmetropolitan has always been lauded for its vision of an urban utopia where things still manage to suck. In no other comic is the setting so much a character unto itself. Writer Warren Ellis is also a hardline atheist, though it is less obvious here than in some of his other work.

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]