Recommendation for study Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
RE: Recommendation for study Bible
(01-03-2013 07:16 PM)Noelani Wrote:  Crack is whack, Angel.

I am following a lecture series about the new testament and the prof. recommended getting a study bible that gave better translations, insight into the greco-roman culture, a concordance, etc... Learning more about the bible and history of the cultures responsible for the text has helped me deal with my super religious family and friends. I think at least now they respect my atheistic position and don't see it as a phase or a free pass to live a sinful life. For example the filthy crack habit I have. Tongue

If you have access to it, and seriously want to read a bunch, there is a 13 volume work, edited by William Foxwell Albright from the mid last century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreter's_Bible_series
It's a classic, and really amazing. It was updated in the 1990's :
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_fe...=618072011
There are multiple volumes in each set. Many libraries have the set. The old one might be locked up in some scholastic centers, as it's rather valuable now. The new set is not so pricey.
It dissects the entire thing, line by line, with multiple background papers on various topics.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Fuckin' hell, Bucky, that is some serious bible studying! ...Although, if my library has some of these it might be helpful for some of the more specific topics of discussion that come up.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something that I can actually fit in my bookcase. What about The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha? or The New Interpreter's Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version With the Apocrypha?
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
(01-03-2013 08:04 PM)Noelani Wrote:  Fuckin' hell, Bucky, that is some serious bible studying! ...Although, if my library has some of these it might be helpful for some of the more specific topics of discussion that come up.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something that I can actually fit in my bookcase. What about The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha?

That's good. Not suggesting you actually buy the set or need to read it all. Just go to the library and flip through the table of contents of the set, and a volume of the OT, and one of the New. You'll get an idea of what's there. Look at some of the names of the authors of the papers. They are the top of their various fields. I never read it all. But you can go look up specific topics when one comes up or you want to look for something specific on a certain topic

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post