Recommendations on Tax Professionals?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Recommendations on Tax Professionals?
I'm only 21, and definitely not a pro at handling my taxes yet. In the past, I've always just used TurboTax to handle my taxes, but this year, I have a bit of a complicated scenario, as I started up a sole proprietorship and I'm not really sure how to go about making sure that gets documented correctly.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for tax professionals? I'm looking for somewhere that is going to be inexpensive to use, as my tax refunds aren't usually a whole lot to begin with, but that can help me out with all of the college/business related credits and deductions I might be missing out on.

Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 03:19 PM
RE: Recommendations on Tax Professionals?
My accountant is a former IRS agent, and she's terrific, and yes, she is with H&R Bloch. Their computers are designed to look for everything and if something goes wrong they will accompany you to the IRS office. I'm not saying you should go with them, but if your return is relatively easy it shouldn't be too expensive and will give you great peace of mind.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2014, 03:33 PM
For a dirty foreigner?

As if.

Tongue

... this is my signature!
11-03-2014, 04:47 PM
(11-03-2014 10:04 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  I'm only 21, and definitely not a pro at handling my taxes yet. In the past, I've always just used TurboTax to handle my taxes, but this year, I have a bit of a complicated scenario, as I started up a sole proprietorship and I'm not really sure how to go about making sure that gets documented correctly.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for tax professionals? I'm looking for somewhere that is going to be inexpensive to use, as my tax refunds aren't usually a whole lot to begin with, but that can help me out with all of the college/business related credits and deductions I might be missing out on.

Thanks in advance.

I've learned in business that you get what you pay for. Pony up for a good accountant. A tax and payroll service can help you establish payroll and taxes and let you know what receipts you should keep, what you can write off, etc.

Good luck!!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
11-03-2014, 05:33 PM
(11-03-2014 10:04 AM)Jasozz Wrote:  I'm only 21, and definitely not a pro at handling my taxes yet. In the past, I've always just used TurboTax to handle my taxes, but this year, I have a bit of a complicated scenario, as I started up a sole proprietorship and I'm not really sure how to go about making sure that gets documented correctly.

Thanks in advance.
What kind of business? You might still be able to use Turbo Tax. If you're dead set on hiring a professional, than as noted already, you get what you pay for. I'm a CPA and specialize in partnership and corporation taxes but also know enough about 1040s to be dangerous. We see some bad work from the chains and the mom-n-pop firms. A firm with 10 - 20 professionals is usually a good value. Costs more than smaller firms, but they have broader experience.

Did you set up an LLC or other legal entity for the business?
12-03-2014, 06:56 AM
step1: Move to a country where your employer deducts taxes out of your pay each week so you don't have to do shit.
step2: ???
step3: Profit.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
12-03-2014, 07:10 AM
(12-03-2014 06:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  step1: Move to a country where your employer deducts taxes out of your pay each week so you don't have to do shit.
step2: ???
step3: Profit.

They do deduct from my paycheck.

This is for my tax return.
12-03-2014, 07:13 AM
(11-03-2014 04:47 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.

I've learned in business that you get what you pay for. Pony up for a good accountant. A tax and payroll service can help you establish payroll and taxes and let you know what receipts you should keep, what you can write off, etc.

Good luck!!

Kinda figured. The issue is I haven't really brought in a whole lot of money from my side business as I only have a few clients, so I don't want to spend more than I'm gonna get from it, you know? I might just try going with TurboTax again, and if I can't figure out how to get my side-business filed properly, I'll just trot on over to H&R Block or something.
12-03-2014, 08:38 PM
I just wanted to put in my .02 about H&R Block. I've had them do my taxes for the last several years (until last year) and in 2010 one of their agents (someone who had been with the IRS for 34 years and several with H&R Block) made 2 egregious errors on my tax return. Even though I took their Peace of Mind Guarantee (which is ridiculous, in my opinion. If they're doing the work, they should stand behind it, regardless), they refused to honor it. It ended up costing me over $2000. I'm in serious financial straits because of that. Will never go back there...

And...if you google them, they have many, many similar complaints.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiteRaven's post
13-03-2014, 07:48 AM
(12-03-2014 08:38 PM)WhiteRaven Wrote:  I just wanted to put in my .02 about H&R Block. I've had them do my taxes for the last several years (until last year) and in 2010 one of their agents (someone who had been with the IRS for 34 years and several with H&R Block) made 2 egregious errors on my tax return. Even though I took their Peace of Mind Guarantee (which is ridiculous, in my opinion. If they're doing the work, they should stand behind it, regardless), they refused to honor it. It ended up costing me over $2000. I'm in serious financial straits because of that. Will never go back there...

And...if you google them, they have many, many similar complaints.

Noted. I'll take stock of the available professionals in the area and see if I can't find a more private firm with a better reputation.