Recommendations to introduce my children to free thinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Recommendations to introduce my children to free thinking
Hi
I'm a bit fed up of the one sided approach by education and government in this country that forces my children to be brain washed by Christianity particularly! I want them to be able to make up their own minds and feel that the information and teaching they partake in is far too one sided
Any recommendations for and introduction would be helpful
Many thanks ;-)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
RE: Recommendations to introduce my children to free thinking
(02-09-2012 08:43 AM)Iolanthe Wrote:  Hi
I'm a bit fed up of the one sided approach by education and government in this country that forces my children to be brain washed by Christianity particularly! I want them to be able to make up their own minds and feel that the information and teaching they partake in is far too one sided
Any recommendations for and introduction would be helpful
Many thanks ;-)

How old are they?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
It's mainly for our daughter age 10
The boys are older ... 15 and 17
03-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Dawkins: Magic of Reality

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Iolanthe - you could explain to her that there are thousands, if not tens of thousands of competing ideas of a super-deity that people all over the world worship. That many believe if you don't worship the "correct" version of god (i.e., their version of god), based on their understanding of god - all others are bound for an eternity of punishment.

Let the sheer absurdity of this line of thinking sink in for a few days/weeks...

Be honest with her in the sense that none of these religions can possibly have a stranglehold on truth - that these are just human beings trying to understand their relationship with "their creator," but also let her know that many people reject the idea that a god exists, or is even necessary. If when she asks what you think, be honest about it - be a resource for her line of questioning -- she will have questions...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
03-09-2012, 08:08 AM
double post...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
The They Might be Giants "Here comes science" album[1] is a good start for youngish children. I think all of the songs are on youtube, so you can try before you buy if you are interested.

Depending on where you live you might be interested in http://campinquiry.org/ run by JREF. James Randi whose JREF organisation is heavily involved is one of the greatest human beings alive, and any chance to meet him before he retires should be embraced with a mighty vigour.

Past that, you'll always be one of their most important role models. What you are interested in I'm sure they'll be interested in, in the long term. Make sure they get to know what you are reading and researching Smile

[1] http://www.merchdirect.com/TheyMightBeGi...ctid=12445

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.