Recommended Sci-Fi movies/series

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideas for a Sci-fi movie/series to get myself involved in?! I just finished Firefly and the follow up film and now starting battlestar galactica but not enjoying it as much.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 02:19 PM
RE: Recommended Sci-Fi movies/series
Dune and Children of Dune Scifi miniseries both are excellent. If you have never seen them Star Trek is fantastic start with TOSS and move on from there.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Oh big mistake. You started with the best and now there is only scrappy leftovers left for you.
[+] 2 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
06-05-2015, 02:39 PM
(06-05-2015 02:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Dune and Children of Dune Scifi miniseries both are excellent. If you have never seen them Star Trek is fantastic start with TOSS and move on from there.

My uncle has every single boxset of almost every single sci-fi series ever. I've never heard of that one! Being a miniseries I get kind of nervy starting them because I know they'll end soon (like Firefly) and I go into a state of mourning when I end a series. I even came close to sobbing at the end of Red Dwarf! (old versions of course)

Would Babylon 5 be recommended?

I would watch all the Star Treks but don't understand where/how to start them.. different timelines and shit isn't there?

06-05-2015, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2015 12:41 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
If you're looking for something kinda campy, give Stargate SG-1 a shot. If tech heavy SciFi is more your speed, Star Trek: DS9 is one of my favorites.

*Edit: Meant to say DS9 instead of Voyager.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Red Dwarf.
Can't go wrong. Lots of science, like suspended animation, time travel, evolution, artificial intelligence, sentient robots.

Edit: You already mentioned it. Damn. Sorry.
06-05-2015, 02:52 PM
(06-05-2015 02:44 PM)Cosmic Discourse Wrote:  If you're looking for something kinda campy, give Stargate SG-1 a shot. If tech heavy SciFi is more your speed, Star Trek: Voyager is one of my favorites.

I remember watching Stargate SG-1 when it first came out years ago.. I think it was that, the one where they shoot supersonic beams out of magic wands? I don't think I liked it. It seems like one of those Sci-Fi things that take it way too far (If that's even possible for sci fi lol)

06-05-2015, 03:07 PM
(06-05-2015 02:39 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 02:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Dune and Children of Dune Scifi miniseries both are excellent. If you have never seen them Star Trek is fantastic start with TOSS and move on from there.

My uncle has every single boxset of almost every single sci-fi series ever. I've never heard of that one! Being a miniseries I get kind of nervy starting them because I know they'll end soon (like Firefly) and I go into a state of mourning when I end a series. I even came close to sobbing at the end of Red Dwarf! (old versions of course)

I would watch all the Star Treks but don't understand where/how to start them.. different timelines and shit isn't there?

All the star trek series follow rather a single time line. At least until the show "Enterprise" which was a waste of time.

Start with orginal series for mostly campy fun, skip the movies and jump into the next generation. Then move onto DS9 and finally Voyager.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-05-2015, 03:11 PM
(06-05-2015 03:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 02:39 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  My uncle has every single boxset of almost every single sci-fi series ever. I've never heard of that one! Being a miniseries I get kind of nervy starting them because I know they'll end soon (like Firefly) and I go into a state of mourning when I end a series. I even came close to sobbing at the end of Red Dwarf! (old versions of course)

All the star trek series follow rather a single time line. At least until the show "Enterprise" which was a waste of time.

Start with orginal series for mostly campy fun, skip the movies and jump into the next generation. Then move onto DS9 and finally Voyager.

Right. Skip the movies? My uncle never had a good thing to say about any of them tbh.

I think I know what I'm doing this summer then. Yippeee thanks

06-05-2015, 03:27 PM
(06-05-2015 03:11 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 03:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  All the star trek series follow rather a single time line. At least until the show "Enterprise" which was a waste of time.

Right. Skip the movies? My uncle never had a good thing to say about any of them tbh.

I think I know what I'm doing this summer then. Yippeee thanks

The movies are sorta a continuation of the orginal series (and later the next generation). They're cool, but I can't say they're really needed to understand anything.

My son has really become a huge fan of the next generation. I don't think we've ever watched a tv show that's sparked so many interesting discussions. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post