Recommended books in the research section

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Recommended books in the research section
I was looking at the books in the research section to consider for purchase to read and review. In looking thru the various books it appears that there are plenty of critiques for each that show that either 1) author demonstrated no competent knowledge in ancient Hebrew, 2) author relies on old and outdated scholarship and 3) author provides no bibliography to review sources (1 Book of J, 2 A History of God and 3 Bible Forgeries - the Bart Ehrman book).

Most of the books also appear to be more along the lines of "airport books". Does anyone have any recommendations on books more directly associated with credentialed scholars who I can reference? I have read plenty about the scholarship in archaeology and biblical studies showing that historical facts do not square with bible history plus biblical authorship is most likely of purely human origin and by many more authors than first realized, or that people believe that the story of Jesus evolved from that of an enlightened rabbi into the son of God. Any suggestions to point me to books that are more in line with what theology students are studying or books that have plenty of citations that I can look up would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2015, 05:31 AM
RE: Recommended books in the research section
I am always wary of books masquerading as research. Most original research appears as academic papers, somtimes in academic journals. If you're looking for source material, I would start there. Even if the research you find is not exactly what you're after, it might cite something that is.

I'm not against books per se - recommended college textbooks are by necessity fairly reliable sources - it's just that tracking down reliable sources is much easier this way, in my experience.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply