Reconciling old and new testaments

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
27-02-2015, 12:14 PM
RE: Reconciling old and new testaments
Quote:My mum, who is a devout christian, keeps telling me that there's a certain way of reading the bible and I'm doing it wrong.

She's right. First you have to shove the bible up your ass and then follow it with your head. Then read away.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2015, 05:04 PM
(27-02-2015 11:13 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(26-02-2015 12:33 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  We don't gloss over those. We constantly bring up NT verses about the horrors of hell, the nonsensical nature of salvation, and how this interacts with concepts like free will or heaven. It's not like we only discuss Deuteronomy 22, or something.

I came from a world where the Christians glossed over those things. Different people have different experiences.

All that proves is a lot of people believe the same nonfalsifiable thing. A lot of others believe in other nonfalsifiable things. I'm not sure why you think an argument from popularity would be compelling.

1. In the months I've been here, and The Q have been watching, I've mostly stuck to the Atheism and Theism forums. I've seen umpteen Bible potshots that were that--single verses taken out of context. I can't recall even one thread, "What is good and decent in the Bible?" or "People talk about the love of Jesus. Is that a believable concept?" -- okay, maybe there's one post. Big deal.

2. Mine is less an argument from popularity than a call to hearken TTA toward reality. "Most humans need to eat and sleep on a regular basis to live." More power to you if you can do without either, brother.

"People talk about the love of Jesus. Is that a believable concept?"

Tell us about this. I'll blast your argument away in a minute.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2015, 11:07 PM
(26-02-2015 11:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I don't see you reconciling the testaments together but having an issue with things you find horrible (not that I blame you). Both the NT and OT versions of God send people to Hell, pass judgments, show mercy, and bless some people beyond their wildest dreams.

I don't pick and choose and I don't ignore. It's my atheist friends at TTA who cherry pick and constantly complain about the same verses. They never want to discuss the love of Jesus, the wisdom of Proverbs, the joy of life, the glories of Creation, etc.

Sorry but I live in a world of Christians where we talk always about the hard and soft parts of the Bible.

I don't need to reconcile them. I'm an atheist. I do not believe in god, christian or any other. But what i don't understand is how you believe in that god? would you not agree that there are some horrible things said in bible and horrible things are done by the deity you believe in? so how do you deal with it? what goes through your head when you read something like hosea13:16?
[+] 1 user Likes Happy's post
27-02-2015, 11:38 PM
The NT is just a sequel to the OT. It allows for filling in the blanks between the two and thus the gap-filling the fundies love so much.

If you can't prove it...make shit up. It's worked for many for a long time.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
28-02-2015, 11:29 AM
(27-02-2015 11:07 PM)Happy Wrote:  I don't need to reconcile them. I'm an atheist. I do not believe in god, christian or any other. But what i don't understand is how you believe in that god? would you not agree that there are some horrible things said in bible and horrible things are done by the deity you believe in? so how do you deal with it? what goes through your head when you read something like hosea13:16?
Do you believe in science? What's up with hiroshima and nagasaki
28-02-2015, 11:31 AM
(28-02-2015 11:29 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(27-02-2015 11:07 PM)Happy Wrote:  I don't need to reconcile them. I'm an atheist. I do not believe in god, christian or any other. But what i don't understand is how you believe in that god? would you not agree that there are some horrible things said in bible and horrible things are done by the deity you believe in? so how do you deal with it? what goes through your head when you read something like hosea13:16?
Do you believe in science? What's up with hiroshima and nagasaki

Harry S. Truman was a Southern Baptist. Your point?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-02-2015, 11:33 AM
alright seriously what is Q trying to do here ? Dodgy
28-02-2015, 11:57 AM
(28-02-2015 11:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:29 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Do you believe in science? What's up with hiroshima and nagasaki

Harry S. Truman was a Southern Baptist. Your point?
His scientists were atheists. Do you believe that they didn't know they were inventing weapon that will kill thousands of innocent people?
28-02-2015, 12:09 PM
(28-02-2015 11:57 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Harry S. Truman was a Southern Baptist. Your point?
His scientists were atheists. Do you believe that they didn't know they were inventing weapon that will kill thousands of innocent people?

How did Truman happen to hire a bunch of atheist scientists??? Was that part of the job requirement ---

or are you simply talking out your ass????

I have my suspicions.

And later - we'll talk about how many people die "in god's name"..... When we have a lot more free time -- we'll need it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-02-2015, 12:18 PM
(28-02-2015 12:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-02-2015 11:57 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  His scientists were atheists. Do you believe that they didn't know they were inventing weapon that will kill thousands of innocent people?

How did Truman happen to hire a bunch of atheist scientists??? Was that part of the job requirement ---

or are you simply talking out your ass????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ath...technology
Quote:Hans Bethe (1906–2005): German-American nuclear physicist, and Nobel laureate in physics for his work on the theory of stellar nucleosynthesis.[20] A versatile theoretical physicist, Bethe also made important contributions to quantum electrodynamics, nuclear physics, solid-state physics and astrophysics. During World War II, he was head of the Theoretical Division at the secret Los Alamos laboratory which developed the first atomic bombs. There he played a key role in calculating the critical mass of the weapons, and did theoretical work on the implosion method used in both the Trinity test and the "Fat Man" weapon dropped on Nagasaki, Japan.[21]