Reconciling with religious people seemingly having all the luck?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Reconciling with religious people seemingly having all the luck?
I've had some bad times. Mother injured. Exam fail. Road rage fight that went badly for me. Computer broke. But the 99% of my country that is religious seems to have all the luck. They are mostly healthy. The most religious person I know passed the exam. The fight was with a religious person. No Mac breaks. But I guess it is because of the sheer number of them. There could be a some who are extremely lucky. Anyway, can anyone console me with logic which is seemingly failing me in particular though. What kind of emotional strength can I have to face life with confidence?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 09:55 AM
RE: Reconciling with religious people seemingly having all the luck?
(26-07-2016 09:28 AM)Summer Wrote:  But the 99% of my country that is religious seems to have all the luck. They are mostly healthy.

Seems is key word here I think. As for being mostly healthy without some good statistics such claim is hardly believable as religion does not make one immune to diseases.

(26-07-2016 09:28 AM)Summer Wrote:  The most religious person I know passed the exam.

Being religious does not mean that one can't prepare for the exam.

(26-07-2016 09:28 AM)Summer Wrote:  The fight was with a religious person.

If there is many religious people in your country it is hardly surprising.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-07-2016, 10:01 AM
There is no such thing as luck. Sometimes you're flush, sometimes you're bust. You didn't "earn" bad luck by being a non-believer any more than someone else earned good luck by believing.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
26-07-2016, 11:21 AM
I think it's an illusion, caused by comparing all of your recent experiences with bits and pieces of other people's experiences. When you're outnumbered 99-to-1 in the population, on balance the larger group will have more positive events in total but on average probably will have no more than you.

There's also a tendency for people to talk about the good things (especially if they're trying to convince you to join their way of life) and downplay or not even mention negative things.

Finally, if you were already under a lot of stress due to your mother's injury, that could have indirectly influenced your ability to study for the exam. I had something similar happen a number of years ago: I was working a part-time job and under stress due to money pressures, and I was trying to take a calculus course at university, and suddenly an elderly aunt was admitted to Hospital with dementia and I had to become Power of Attorney and coordinate her care and admission to a nursing home. It suddenly got very, very hard to study at home or to concentrate when writing tests in class, and I ended up withdrawing from the course rather than failing it outright.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2016, 11:29 AM
You know, one of the most religious person I know lost her son to cancer two years ago and recently lost her husband to cancer no more than 3 weeks ago. I think it has a lot to do with when we see all the craps that happen to us, we tend to be down and it seems like everyone got it better than us.
26-07-2016, 11:29 AM
It's pretty easy to think you're the only one having a hard time.....

There used to be this guy that came into the bar all the time where I worked..... Good looking young kid -- drove a nice BMW, always going out with beautiful women -- came from a home with money -- seems he had all the luck.....

Till I started dating this one woman...... She was in the bar with me one night -- and this kid came in.....

"Oh look" she said "There's needledick...."

Turns out she'd gone out with him and dumped him, because he was hung like a scared turtle's head......................

So I had SOME luck he'd never get....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Quote:Exam fail.

That's not bad luck, that's dumbness and/or a lack of hustle.

[Image: oscar.png]
26-07-2016, 04:45 PM
(26-07-2016 10:01 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  There is no such thing as luck.

I do believe in luck but I think of it as a rare accidental collision of opportunistic circumstances and conditions with the capability to recognize and take advantage of the opportunity.

I work with a Laotian Khmer Rouge era refugee. Me and my colleague were working in one corner of the lab and the Laotian (whose name is Hung, but that's for a different post) was in the other. Me and my lab partner out of boredom started the age-old "Is it better to be lucky than smart?" The Laotian overheard us and interjected, "I can tell you that it is better to be lucky than smart. I am living proof." He then went back to work. Me and my lab partner didn't say anything but looked at each other with the "Fuck us. We got no clue what we're talking about. We should just shut up now." sorta look.

#sigh
26-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Quote:But the 99% of my country that is religious seems to have all the luck

Do they? There are a lot of people who are religious because they cannot handle not being religious, to the point where they claim that without religion they would start killing people, or kill themselves. To me that suggests much greater underlying psychological problems. There is nothing psychologically healthy about that.

26-07-2016, 05:29 PM
My best mate is a Christian he came home early from work one day to find an ambulance parked outside his house, he ran up the road wondering if his girlfriend was Ok.
He entered his house to find paramedics working on a naked man who had suffered a heart attack, the guy was on his back getting CPR and was 20 years older than my mate and his girlfriend.
It soon became apparent what had been going on while he was at work, so my mate gave his girlfriend a couple of hours to get herself and her belongings out of his house.
Shit happens to all kinds of people everyday.
Religion does not come into it.
(The old guy survived by the way, and she is still with him)