Reconversion leading to diet change?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2015, 05:07 AM
Reconversion leading to diet change?
Hey!

So, I'm a new deconvert--been religion free for about 6-7 months--and I've recently been thinking about what I eat. I watched the ever popular Earthlings documentary and with my new lease on life I'm realizing how bizarre it is for me to being eating animal products (and frankly, I'm a big softy and love animals--I basically cried through the whole movie! Weeping ).

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else had that lightbulb moment about their diets since becoming an atheist. I'm slowly transitioning to vegetarian right now, but I'm really wanting to go vegan as soon as possible. Has this happened to any of you guys? How was the vegan transition for you?

Also, any tips on working around a family members' diet who doesn't really like the idea of being vegan?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2015, 05:19 AM
RE: Reconversion leading to diet change?
Not quite the same but I'm having trouble finding non-Halal food, so I'm largely veggie now.

Except bacon of course.

Oh, and I'm gonna move this to the food section ITAWY.

25-10-2015, 06:07 AM
I didn't have such moment - my atheism and my eating habits aren't conected.

Also what's wrong with your family don't liking vegan diet? It's not like they do something wrong.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-10-2015, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 06:54 AM by Dom.)
I don't see the solution for that in converting omnivores to herbivores. I see the solution in sustainable agriculture and humane treatment of animals.

Converting a group of humans into herbivores will cut down on animal abuse, but you will never be able to convert enough humans to eliminate consumption of meat. Becoming vegan is therefor not the solution.

You can, however, help guide societal evolution towards a humane society that provides enjoyable lives and peaceful deaths for animals. And that is the ultimate goal, for ourselves as well as for the other animals.

Animals don't care what happens to their bodies after death, they are not around to experience it. They do care what happens during life and what sort of death they experience. So, that needs to be the point here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
25-10-2015, 06:50 AM
I gave up communion wafers...does that count?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
25-10-2015, 07:26 AM
(25-10-2015 06:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I gave up communion wafers...does that count?

You didn't like the non-fact diet?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
25-10-2015, 07:27 AM
(25-10-2015 07:26 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 06:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I gave up communion wafers...does that count?

You didn't like the non-fact diet?

Bowing

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-10-2015, 08:33 AM
I'm vegan, but I was vegan long before I became an atheist. The idea of God requiring animal sacrifice in the OT was one of the *many* reasons I ended up leaving Christianity.

If I could give you one piece of advice on going vegan, it would be to go to a nutritionist who specializes in vegan nutrition. A vegan diet can be very healthy if you know what you are doing and if you don't, it can be not so healthy.

As for incorporating vegan meals into your family's diet: You can really veganize anything, you just have to be a little creative. I would also recommend getting a couple of good vegan cookbooks (I like anything by Lindsay S. Nixon). She makes a lot of meals even meateaters will like. Another idea would be to slowly make changes in your family's diet if they are not 100 percent open to it. So for example, if you make mashed potatoes, use almond milk and earth balance "butter" instead of milk and "regular" butter.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
25-10-2015, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2015 10:02 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Naw. I stick with being an omnivore. However I do think we need to find more humane farming methods.

*edit* >.>
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-10-2015, 08:38 AM
(25-10-2015 08:37 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Naw. I stick with being an omnivore. However I do think we need to find more human farming methods.

Blink

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post