Recording Dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Recording Dreams
I have always been VERY fascinated by dreams.
A few years back I watched some TV series but no idea which anymore. But I remember that in the series they featured a device that was able to record what a person thought because the person wasn't able to speak for some reason.

Anyway I thought that would be so cool to have that for dreams.
So today I stumble over this video (see below) and I was like, come on this guy ... it's a hoax or whatever.
But then I googled and found a lot of articles about this.

So apparently scientists are working on a way to record and replay dreams.
They have done a lot of studies and a lot of tech stuff.
So at the moment it is possible to record your dreams to about 60% accuracy, which is already better than chance. Which is fascinating as fuck! Because just give it a few more years and you may get to almost crisp clear images of your dreams. How cool would it be. You could probably use it for therapy and such things.

Then again, not sure I would want other people to see my dreams. Even my therapist. Me and my dreams - we are just too fucked up. I wouldn't want to make somebody see that.

Anyway here is the video and an article I found:

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-...-play-them

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2017, 12:17 AM
RE: Recording Dreams
I used to know some people playing around with programming their dreams, lucid dreaming. Apparently a lot of people do that, and if one googles "Books, lucid dreaming", there are a lot of how to books available. Also try "youtube, lucid dreaming".

Hello,
This is devo
We would like
to say Thingsgo both ways
New ideas stupid moves
Nightmares or dreams come true

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
06-11-2017, 04:21 AM
What I am saying here is that there are works on programs that will record your brainwaves and be able to convert that into images to show your dream like a video after you are done dreaming.

That's not lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is when you dream and are aware of that. I've done that since i was a little child. Has nothing to do with what I posted there about this research that is being done.

- Wotsefack?! -
06-11-2017, 04:35 AM
You do know that dreams are just a random series of thoughts that our minds try to weld into a coherent whole, right? They don't "mean" anything.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2017, 04:48 AM
A subject that they covered on the tv show Max Headroom......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-11-2017, 06:37 AM
(06-11-2017 04:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A subject that they covered on the tv show Max Headroom......

Saw two episodes. That wasn't one of them. Consider
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2017, 06:45 AM
(06-11-2017 04:21 AM)Leerob Wrote:  What I am saying here is that there are works on programs that will record your brainwaves and be able to convert that into images to show your dream like a video after you are done dreaming.

That's not lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is when you dream and are aware of that. I've done that since i was a little child. Has nothing to do with what I posted there about this research that is being done.

2 things...

Firstly, each individual brain is extremely complex, I've seen documentaries where they hook people up to a machine and ask them to think of something like an apple, then they record the "brain pattern" (or whatever they called it). So sure it's possible, but how many brain scans would you have to take to record useful information accurately enough to "record" a dream. Is it a big apple? A red apple? Does the person like the taste of apples? Is it a sweet apple or sour? Is it a rip apple? Is it perfectly shaped? are there blemishes on the apple?

I imagine my dreams are complex as yours, I can imagine my apple into a banana or a kitten or make it rot instantly, how would the computer know how to interpret things that have no basis in reality?

Secondly, imagine the dystopian nightmare that would await us as Dreambook™ sells ad space in my head, as I battle zombies dressed in Calvin Klein underwear and just before the zombies tear into my flesh they pause to pop a Mentos™ and utter "mentos...the fresh maker..." .

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
06-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Ok I won't do the whole quoting thing because I am lazy as fuck:

@Gawdzilla: And your "knowledge" of that is based on what? Nobody, not doctors, not scientist, not woowoo people are sure if dreams mean something, they aren't even sure why we dream in the first place. But what dreams or do not mean is also not what I started this thread about. I started it for the research and studies that I find interesting.

@unsapien: I realize that every brain is complex in its own way. But taking your apple example (and I am sure if you read or watched what I linked above or anything beyond that) basis of that apple thought is still an apple. What they did in studies to understand this stuff was, people sleep in an fMRI and once they dream are woken up to tell what they dreamed. They did that apparently 200 times per person. Another thing that was done, was simply showing shapes to people and then correlate that with what brain activity happens. Once enough subjects did that, they fed the computer with data and played back what brain waves where happening. The computer was able to bring the image. Not crisp clear but more similar than just chance. They did more stuff that is all very interesting, at least to me, and the outcome are those very rough, still 40% inaccurate but better than chance, let's call it "play backs". Also thanks, now I think of fancy zombies that eat mentos ... (fedora tipping zombie walking by, calmly whistling the Mentos jingle)

Edit:
I forgot to mention, sure that video I linked could well be fake. Who knows. But still the thought of recording and playing back dreams is pretty cool. If it all turns out to not be real or to not become such a great technology after all, fair enough. But again, still a pretty damn cool thought.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post