Recovering Catholic here...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Recovering Catholic here...
So...I decided to ditch the label of atheist last year and decided to call myself a pantheist...and I do believe in awe....wonder....mystery...as well as logic...reason and philosophy....I also started listening to Alan Watts lectures...he gets into Taoism/Daousm and philosophy and stuff like that...but he really seemed to be mixed up though....and I guess I got into a lot of....woo....and I still feel trapped in religion-Catholicism mentally and emotionally...

Any ideas...suggestions or advice??? Thank you...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
17-02-2018, 11:49 AM
RE: Recovering Catholic here...
What about it makes you feel trapped in it?
17-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Advice? Use less ellipses.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-02-2018, 11:51 AM
The tradition and culture......
17-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Welcome. Lots of ex-catholics here.

A lot of people wean themselves from religion via a bunch of woo and eventually drop the woo, too.

Looks like you have a vivid imagination, maybe try some scifi as outlet?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-02-2018, 11:54 AM
(17-02-2018 11:46 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  So...I decided to ditch the label of atheist last year and decided to call myself a pantheist...and I do believe in awe....wonder....mystery...as well as logic...reason and philosophy....I also started listening to Alan Watts lectures...he gets into Taoism/Daousm and philosophy and stuff like that...but he really seemed to be mixed up though....and I guess I got into a lot of....woo....and I still feel trapped in religion-Catholicism mentally and emotionally...

Unditch the label of atheist, pray to not-Jesus to not-save you, and all will be well Wink

What's bugging you amigo? You worried some of the woo bullshit might be true? Which bits?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-02-2018, 12:05 PM
(17-02-2018 11:51 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  The tradition and culture......

The tradition and culture are man-made. You have the ability to leave any time. No one is keeping you there other than your own irrational fear that was put there by religious fucks. If not for them, you would know nothing about Jesus. People in other religions think Jesus is not godly or special or magical. Just like you think their gods are not the real ones or special or magical.

Just because someone tells you a story and tells you something is real, does not make it so. You can take your power and rational thought back any time.

Jesus is the equivalent of a magical invisible leprechaun. If you wouldn't pray to a magical invisible leprechaun then what makes Jesus more legit? He's magical and invisble as well. And was not the only one performing "magical" feats at that time (if you are of the belief that he existed at all, as some scholars don't believe he was a real person and instead was built on legend). If Jesus was a real man, there were a lot of people running around during that time period claiming magical feats (that really weren't magical--they were charlatans.) So Jesus, not special in that regard. See Richard Carrier's Kooks and Quacks of the Roman Empire available online.

Jesus-also not special in terms of crucifixion. The Romans crucified many people during that time period.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
17-02-2018, 12:10 PM
(17-02-2018 12:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Jesus-also not special in terms of crucifixion. The Romans crucified many people during that time period.

LOL. Fuck you Jesus. You're not special Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-02-2018, 01:52 PM
If you are feeling trapped, you're attaching too much importance to your search.

My advice: find something that you actually enjoy learning about and explore that, instead.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
18-02-2018, 05:10 AM
(17-02-2018 11:46 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  So...I decided to ditch the label of atheist last year and decided to call myself a pantheist...and I do believe in awe....wonder....mystery...as well as logic...reason and philosophy....I also started listening to Alan Watts lectures...he gets into Taoism/Daousm and philosophy and stuff like that...but he really seemed to be mixed up though....and I guess I got into a lot of....woo....and I still feel trapped in religion-Catholicism mentally and emotionally...

Religiholics will take what's poured, I guess.

(And the fact that "religiholics" was already in the dictionary is way cool.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user