Recovering Christian Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Recovering Christian Issues
Did anyone else deal with anxiety when you left your religion? There are just so many changes going on for me right now; I'm finding myself anxious a lot lately. It's just stressful to leave the religion I was brought up in. Any advice to help me calm down? Unsure

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2013, 08:40 AM
RE: Recovering Christian Issues
My process was long and slow, a lot of things all added up to my final realisation of my nonbelief. From reading your other thread, I can see that your experience was much more oppressive than mine, so my thoughts are that it will probably take you more time than it took me, to feel less anxious.

My advice: keep looking. Keep reading, keep learning. Through education, and exploration, you will gain a better understanding of what you disagree with about your former faith (and other faiths), and more importantly, why you disagree with it.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Near's post
20-03-2013, 08:51 AM
(20-03-2013 08:40 AM)Near Wrote:  My process was long and slow, a lot of things all added up to my final realisation of my nonbelief. From reading your other thread, I can see that your experience was much more oppressive than mine, so my thoughts are that it will probably take you more time than it took me, to feel less anxious.

My advice: keep looking. Keep reading, keep learning. Through education, and exploration, you will gain a better understanding of what you disagree with about your former faith (and other faiths), and more importantly, why you disagree with it.
Thank you. That is very helpful actually. Now that I'm thinking about it, I find that things like The Thinking Atheist podcast helps to put me at ease.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
20-03-2013, 09:08 AM
There are a lot of really great podcasts out there. I find that the more I learn, the more comfortable I am. Smile

If you check the link in my signature, you should find a lot of really helpful links, along with book, podcast, documentary, and YouTube channel reccomendations (among other things.) Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
20-03-2013, 10:13 AM
For one thing, remember that you have "friends" here, people who've been through the same thing who can add some perspective and remind you that you're not alone.

I coped with my loss of faith by devouring reading material that challenged everything I once held sacred. I read Dawkins, Hitchens, Sagan, Harris, etc. I even got to meet James Randi and had a great chat with him about speaking in tongues. Atheists can be a very welcoming bunch, and I am grateful to those I've met (those whose interest in the subject extends beyond mere absence of belief in religion and who intend to do something to protect our rights under the U.S. Constitution).

Anyway, that's what worked for me. No guarantee it will work for you. I have not read your other thread, so forgive my ignorance if I've overlooked or ignored something obvious.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
20-03-2013, 12:24 PM
(20-03-2013 09:08 AM)Near Wrote:  There are a lot of really great podcasts out there. I find that the more I learn, the more comfortable I am. Smile

If you check the link in my signature, you should find a lot of really helpful links, along with book, podcast, documentary, and YouTube channel reccomendations (among other things.) Smile
Wow, tons of links! Thank you! I was going through some of them this morning. Smile I like your atheist comedy list on youtube. haha Tongue

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
20-03-2013, 12:28 PM
(20-03-2013 10:13 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  For one thing, remember that you have "friends" here, people who've been through the same thing who can add some perspective and remind you that you're not alone.

I coped with my loss of faith by devouring reading material that challenged everything I once held sacred. I read Dawkins, Hitchens, Sagan, Harris, etc. I even got to meet James Randi and had a great chat with him about speaking in tongues. Atheists can be a very welcoming bunch, and I am grateful to those I've met (those whose interest in the subject extends beyond mere absence of belief in religion and who intend to do something to protect our rights under the U.S. Constitution).

Anyway, that's what worked for me. No guarantee it will work for you. I have not read your other thread, so forgive my ignorance if I've overlooked or ignored something obvious.
Thank you! I've already been looking at books on amazon to read. Any suggestions on what book to read first? I was told "God is not great" by christopher hitchens is a good one.

their lives a mimicry,
-Oscar Wilde
20-03-2013, 02:59 PM
The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins
God is Not Great, by Christopher Hitchens (also, check out The Portable Atheist, edited by Hitch)
Biblical Nonsense, by Jason Long
DeConverted, author unknown Wink
The Demon Haunted World, by Carl Sagan
The Cure for Fundamentalism, by Steve McRoberts
Godless, by Dan Barker
God, No! by Penn Jillette
Letter to a Christian Nation AND The End of Faith, both by Sam Harris

I devoured those in my first couple of months of freethought.
[+] 3 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
20-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Welcome...

I think that big life changes (even good ones) can be cause for some anxiety. Once you settle in you should feel a lot better.

Here you will find out you aren't alone.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I never suffered religious indoctrination and have been an atheist for a long time but, once I became really interested in science and began to consume as much about it as possible, my whole outlook on life changed. Not dramatically, mind you, more along the lines of my attitude toward life changed. Most importantly my attitude toward all the critters, plants and other things I share this planet with. I feel a lot more a part of it all, if that makes sense.

I can't help but think that a better understanding of the natural world could very well replace the void left after one discards superstition.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post