Recovering Christian Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 07:52 PM
RE: Recovering Christian Issues
The hardest part for me was I love and I respect my dad and in general I value his word. My dad is very very catholic to this day. He goes to mas now at least 3 times a week. I despise the catholic church now above almost every other religion. I know it would tear him up to know my thoughts and at 84 I would never put him through that. Which means I must play catholic from time to time. I also to this day to miss the get together with various people many of them I grew up with. I miss the sense of a large family or what I thought was a large family. I learned even that isn't true the church aims to pit us against each other. it's been years and years now and I still feel certain anxiety from time to time and also peer pressure and family pressure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2013, 07:57 PM
(20-03-2013 06:36 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I never suffered religious indoctrination and have been an atheist for a long time but, once I became really interested in science and began to consume as much about it as possible, my whole outlook on life changed. Not dramatically, mind you, more along the lines of my attitude toward life changed. Most importantly my attitude toward all the critters, plants and other things I share this planet with. I feel a lot more a part of it all, if that makes sense.

I can't help but think that a better understanding of the natural world could very well replace the void left after one discards superstition.

I approve this message. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Well when I left the church, I slashed all ties, moved to a new town, dropped quite a few friends, kept the core group that was already atheist, and began to rebuild. All of what the people said above work. I found that the most helpful thing for me, was actually telling people I was an atheist when they asked me about religion. Hiding it just makes things so much worse.
07-04-2013, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 10:27 PM by Atheist_pilgrim.)
Take this from a recovering Xian who spent 24 years in the faith: Resist the temptation to exchange one form of idolatry for another. I met a number of the atheist glitterati (including Seth) at the AA convention in Austin. Some were more receptive than others, as people in their position usually are, but all were interesting. I ran into attractive people and strange ones, nice ones, aloof ones, and asinine ones. Learn from all, be they the most meagre poster here or the published celebrity Phd, but realize they are as human as you are, with all the strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities that entails.

You are now free of mind-reading gods, their invisible minions, and their anointed servants. You are your own person now, with a whole new destiny. Make the best of your own form of humanity, one day at a time. It ain't easy, and it can be weird and lonely. But a hard truth is better that a comforting lie, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just wish I could have gotten out sooner than later!
08-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Accept the anxiety as OK.

Face the problems.

Stay afloat as these problems are weightless and that you can play with them like plastic toys.

Be patient. Things will change in your favor.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post