Recovering Neopagan Woo-Baby

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Recovering Neopagan Woo-Baby
Hello, everyone!!!

I am a former pagan/Wiccan who has decided to renounce their faith for the purpose of rediscovering their original sense of skepticism.

I will admit that I have had some negative experiences with a group of college kids at my school who were really into the crystal healing, the astral projection, etc. They're really nice people, but I feel they really deluded me. I live with a panic disorder that I am medicated for, and let's just say that believing in things without concrete proof has proven to be extremely bad for my mental health (and really, anyone else's). I was really into everything, magick, tarot, you name it. But after a few bad experiences, I realized I needed everything debunked. I needed to see evidence to the contrary instead of just blindly believing in this stuff.

I realized that after a while, the occult is really just a form of self hypnosis to change your thinking to achieve a goal: not something that could truly bend reality. Plus, it lends way to REALLY dangerous apophenia if you truly believe in this stuff through frequency illusion and other cognitive biases that can literally drive you insane if you don't keep a clear head. I used to be a nursing student who loved science before I got poisoned, really poisoned by this stuff. I am rediscovering myself again through philosophy and skepticism, particularly Nietzsche, which I used to really enjoy.

I was always a bit questioning, though. Every time I would work with magick, I always asked myself if I was really rooted in some very deep confirmation bias. I had some really bad episodes of sleep paralysis as well as waking and sleeping hallucinations that I were told were from a supernatural source, but I guess I sort of just knew better this whole time. I was told I had entities attached to me and that's why my life was terrible. These were people who said gryphons and dragons existed in stones for Chrissakes. Why the Hell was I listening to them instead of enjoying my life? Oddly enough, I always got along better with atheist philosophy majors and skeptics than people of my own sort of persuasion. I think I'm ready to move on.

I sort of spent the last two weeks debunking my entire spirituality in an attempt to free myself from the delusion of New Age styled paganism and live my own life again. I pretty much debunked, well, everything. The clairvoyance, my own experiences, everything. It's weird living a life without this stuff, but I'm enjoying the good and the bad so far. It's nice to just see something for what it is. I really feel as if I lost my ability to critically think, and I'm really happy to have it back again. It makes me feel as if I'm really exploring what's around me instead of living in my own head.

I guess I just really wanted something to believe in after feeling jaded about Christianity, but truly believing in anything is inherently harmful. TRULY believing. I respect fully that it works for some people, but it doesn't for me. I'm a lot better off with nothing at all.

Thanks for having me!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CrimsonCallaReborn's post
31-05-2015, 10:06 PM
RE: Recovering Neopagan Woo-Baby
(31-05-2015 10:00 PM)CrimsonCallaReborn Wrote:  ...
I'm a lot better off with nothing at all.

Welcome aboard.

Are you saying that we don't need to sacrifice this goat we had prepared for your arrival?

Unsure

31-05-2015, 10:11 PM
I will have you know that live goats are an excellent source of woo. Because particle physics. I highly recommend wearing it around your neck every day.
[+] 2 users Like CrimsonCallaReborn's post
31-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi CrimsonCalla, only 2 weeks out, huh? That's gotta feel good ... maybe a bit shaky but, probably a relief. Good to have you here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-05-2015, 10:15 PM
(31-05-2015 10:00 PM)CrimsonCallaReborn Wrote:  Hello, everyone!!!

I am a former pagan/Wiccan who has decided to renounce their faith for the purpose of rediscovering their original sense of skepticism.

I will admit that I have had some negative experiences with a group of college kids at my school who were really into the crystal healing, the astral projection, etc. They're really nice people, but I feel they really deluded me. I live with a panic disorder that I am medicated for, and let's just say that believing in things without concrete proof has proven to be extremely bad for my mental health (and really, anyone else's). I was really into everything, magick, tarot, you name it. But after a few bad experiences, I realized I needed everything debunked. I needed to see evidence to the contrary instead of just blindly believing in this stuff.

I realized that after a while, the occult is really just a form of self hypnosis to change your thinking to achieve a goal: not something that could truly bend reality. Plus, it lends way to REALLY dangerous apophenia if you truly believe in this stuff through frequency illusion and other cognitive biases that can literally drive you insane if you don't keep a clear head. I used to be a nursing student who loved science before I got poisoned, really poisoned by this stuff. I am rediscovering myself again through philosophy and skepticism, particularly Nietzsche, which I used to really enjoy.

I was always a bit questioning, though. Every time I would work with magick, I always asked myself if I was really rooted in some very deep confirmation bias. I had some really bad episodes of sleep paralysis as well as waking and sleeping hallucinations that I were told were from a supernatural source, but I guess I sort of just knew better this whole time. I was told I had entities attached to me and that's why my life was terrible. These were people who said gryphons and dragons existed in stones for Chrissakes. Why the Hell was I listening to them instead of enjoying my life? Oddly enough, I always got along better with atheist philosophy majors and skeptics than people of my own sort of persuasion. I think I'm ready to move on.

I sort of spent the last two weeks debunking my entire spirituality in an attempt to free myself from the delusion of New Age styled paganism and live my own life again. I pretty much debunked, well, everything. The clairvoyance, my own experiences, everything. It's weird living a life without this stuff, but I'm enjoying the good and the bad so far. It's nice to just see something for what it is. I really feel as if I lost my ability to critically think, and I'm really happy to have it back again. It makes me feel as if I'm really exploring what's around me instead of living in my own head.

I guess I just really wanted something to believe in after feeling jaded about Christianity, but truly believing in anything is inherently harmful. TRULY believing. I respect fully that it works for some people, but it doesn't for me. I'm a lot better off with nothing at all.

Thanks for having me!!!

Hello and welcome.
I'm attaching this video that has some good advice about sleep paralysis. If you've never seen The Atheist Experience you might also enjoy other episodes.
Hope this helps.

[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
31-05-2015, 10:16 PM
(31-05-2015 10:11 PM)CrimsonCallaReborn Wrote:  I will have you know that live goats are an excellent source of woo. Because particle physics. I highly recommend wearing it around your neck every day.

Darn. I thought you were gonna say goats are an excellent source of protein.

I fuckin' love goat cheese. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
31-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Quote:I will have you know that live goats are an excellent source of woo.

Only a few posts in, and already a classic line! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
31-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Tongue RE: Recovering Neopagan Woo-Baby
(31-05-2015 10:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  Only a few posts in, and already a classic line! Thumbsup

Thanks. I think I'm really going to like it here!!! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes CrimsonCallaReborn's post
31-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
31-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post