Recovering from Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Recovering from Religion
This is supposed to be my second post, but I can't seem to find the first one. O well, I'll retail my story a little more in depth this time. My jounery through de-conversion began a few months ago. After many personal family problems, I desided to go back to the church for REAL this time. I went through the dogmatic process of becoming a Christian. In doing so, I started to notice many fallcys, but I wont go into them yet. I want to keep this simple. After asking questions, and getting answers that mint noting, and leed to nothing, I left the church. Then, I finally got WI-FI in my house. Thats where the real jounrey begins. First stop, youtube. After about a month and over 100 vidoes later, it was clear. So, a few months later, here I am! and Glad to be a athiest! Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2013, 02:21 PM
RE: Recovering from Religion
(26-03-2013 01:35 PM)dylan mckev Wrote:  ... here I am! and Glad to be a athiest! Thumbsup

Good to have you with us.

Youtube does have some great stuff, doesn't it. I assume you have found all the Hitchens debates?

btw, to find your earlier posts, click on your name and in the 'Total Posts' bit you can click on 'Find All Posts'.

27-03-2013, 03:02 PM
yeah, I found that youtube is very very helpful when it comes to leaving the church. I watched a few Hitchens debates, they were life changing. Thanks for the reply. Smile
29-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Hey, I've just become an atheist 2 months ago and I can't work up the courage to tell my extremely religious parents I'm an atheist. Can anybody tell me how I can tell my parents that I'm an atheist without them thinking I'm possessed? (Sorry if this doesn't relate to your topic)
29-03-2013, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 11:20 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post
01-04-2013, 01:30 AM
(29-03-2013 06:43 AM)Darkness302 Wrote:  Hey, I've just become an atheist 2 months ago and I can't work up the courage to tell my extremely religious parents I'm an atheist. Can anybody tell me how I can tell my parents that I'm an atheist without them thinking I'm possessed? (Sorry if this doesn't relate to your topic)

In my personal experience, slowly expressing my disbelief piece by piece was the best way to go. It wasn't a coming-out event - which can be like a bombshell. It was just a slow transition that they got used to over time. There was no tension involved, because there was no serious friction that might come with a sudden reveal.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 03:11 AM
Re: Recovering from Religion
Yep, try not to make it a surprise. Let your parents fear that you are an atheist for a while before breaking the news. If you telling them was their first exposure to the idea you are probably doing it wrong.

When you do have "the talk" don't use the word atheist, which has a lot of r emotional baggage attached. Just say you don't really believe any more.

Also, consider the worst that could happen if you come out, especially the worst economic consequences. If they are bad consider not coming out at all. As much as you are bursting to tell everyone the new and interesting information you have learned there is no requirement for evangelism in atheism. Vent here if you need to.