Recovery from Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-08-2012, 10:10 PM
RE: Recovery from Religion.
(26-08-2012 05:16 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(25-08-2012 10:26 AM)Alice Wrote:  Ya was 5am here too, I was up WAY too late! No worries, I know it will come to a head I'm just going to wait for it I guess, if my mom wasn't so sick and stress didn't affect her health the way it does, I would be bravier I think. It's inevitable because of how we are going to raise our girls to avoid the subject, unless they decide to just ignore it, in which case I would be totally fine with that. It's just a baby atheist phase I think, I hope. Eventually I'm assuming it will become easier and I will start to figure things out, I mean I did manage to get through the indoctrination into reality so I'm hoping these are all steps in the process.

Instead of teaching them to avoid it, I would encourage them to think for themselves.

As for you, I can empathize with you. I felt similarly when I broke free from my fundamentalist Catholic upbringing, so feel free to ask any questions. Fstratzero is also a very kind and understanding person, so he is also there for you.

Wow, major punctuation problem for me not you lol. What I meant was It's inevitable (meaning the subject will be unavoidable), because of how we are going to raise our girls (yes not to ignore it to think for themselves, we plan to introduce them to stories of many religions), to avoid the subject (here I completely missed a comma after our girls, to avoid the subject (and there was suppose to be more there like to avoid the subject is inevitable*meaning with my parents, not the kids* lol), unless they decide to just ignore it, in which case I would be totally fine with that (again about my parents, I hope they ignore it and that would be fine with me lol). Wow, I had to re-read that like four times and I was like what the heck, how did I do that!!! Late night typing and auto correct should be banned for me!

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Alice's post
26-08-2012, 10:13 PM
oh i see it now, I misplaced words in the sentence. It's inevitable to avoid the subject, because of how we are going to raise our girls unless they decide to just ignore it, in which case I would be totally fine with that.

Wow sorry I really screwed that entire sentence up!!!!!! Good Catch! I don't want people to think that I meant raise them to avoid it lololol.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
[+] 1 user Likes Alice's post
27-08-2012, 03:15 PM
(26-08-2012 10:10 PM)Alice Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 05:16 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Instead of teaching them to avoid it, I would encourage them to think for themselves.

As for you, I can empathize with you. I felt similarly when I broke free from my fundamentalist Catholic upbringing, so feel free to ask any questions. Fstratzero is also a very kind and understanding person, so he is also there for you.

Wow, major punctuation problem for me not you lol. What I meant was It's inevitable (meaning the subject will be unavoidable), because of how we are going to raise our girls (yes not to ignore it to think for themselves, we plan to introduce them to stories of many religions), to avoid the subject (here I completely missed a comma after our girls, to avoid the subject (and there was suppose to be more there like to avoid the subject is inevitable*meaning with my parents, not the kids* lol), unless they decide to just ignore it, in which case I would be totally fine with that (again about my parents, I hope they ignore it and that would be fine with me lol). Wow, I had to re-read that like four times and I was like what the heck, how did I do that!!! Late night typing and auto correct should be banned for me!

Ha, just wanted to be clear. Thumbsup I didn't think it would be healthy to teach children to avoid such an important issue in our society.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
27-08-2012, 11:07 PM
(27-08-2012 03:15 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 10:10 PM)Alice Wrote:  Wow, major punctuation problem for me not you lol. What I meant was It's inevitable (meaning the subject will be unavoidable), because of how we are going to raise our girls (yes not to ignore it to think for themselves, we plan to introduce them to stories of many religions), to avoid the subject (here I completely missed a comma after our girls, to avoid the subject (and there was suppose to be more there like to avoid the subject is inevitable*meaning with my parents, not the kids* lol), unless they decide to just ignore it, in which case I would be totally fine with that (again about my parents, I hope they ignore it and that would be fine with me lol). Wow, I had to re-read that like four times and I was like what the heck, how did I do that!!! Late night typing and auto correct should be banned for me!

Ha, just wanted to be clear. Thumbsup I didn't think it would be healthy to teach children to avoid such an important issue in our society.

Yes I agree. And it says excellent thing about your character to address it and brave. In fact today I had a conversation with my daughter I said I was lucky that I was ok after a car accident I was recently in, she said ya god made you lucky. I said I don't believe in god, she was shocked and said mommy why. I told her I didn't think there was evidence and she said the bible the bible tells you. I explained that there are realigionsn all over the world and they all have books like the bible that they follow. The she was like well you have to believe in the cross and Jesus, I said hunny I don't but when you are older we can really get into different religions to learn about if you want and also the history of the bible. She said well I believe, and I said honey you can believe whatever you want daddy and I will love no matter what. and you can always ask about anything and we can talk. If you wnat to know what daddy believes I know he will expliain you. it was great anec

― Baruch Spinoza
[+] 2 users Like Alice's post
28-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I truly wish more parents were like you.

Poonjab
28-08-2012, 09:32 PM
(28-08-2012 12:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I truly wish more parents were like you.

Thanks, I'm a horrible insomniac so when I take meds to help me sleep you can tell! Those typos, unfinished thoughts, etc. it makes me seem like a idiot lol. In fact any advice on how to be able to sleep besides meds? I have been a chronic insomniac for years and hate the meds because of stuff like the above but don't sleep at all and I mean days if I don't .

― Baruch Spinoza
29-08-2012, 02:50 PM
(28-08-2012 09:32 PM)Alice Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 12:01 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I truly wish more parents were like you.

Thanks, I'm a horrible insomniac so when I take meds to help me sleep you can tell! Those typos, unfinished thoughts, etc. it makes me seem like a idiot lol. In fact any advice on how to be able to sleep besides meds? I have been a chronic insomniac for years and hate the meds because of stuff like the above but don't sleep at all and I mean days if I don't .

I never thought you were an idiot.
I too have problems sleeping, but it is because of my metabolic problem. -_- I constantly feel hungry, so I can't sleep well.
I simply watch documentaries of science and history until I crash. xD

Poonjab
29-08-2012, 11:30 PM
(13-08-2012 02:47 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  After becoming an atheist I had some problems dealing with emotions, see things clearly and living a life with out god.

The point of this thread is to give you guys some knowledge. The things I've learned has worked for me and hopefully we can share methods for dealing with the world with each other.

I hear that a lot of people feel lost when they deconvert. I set up a thought experiment for my self to explore the idea of the meaning of life.

Every living thing interacts with everything surrounding it. There is no way in reality that a living thing cannot keep its self from interacting. So at the very least when a person interacts with another. We should do so in a manner that benefits our species. That for me is a good enough meaning for life.

Quote:Now when God is every answer to everything, we need a way to think with out him, and to deal with emotions. Here are a few things that has helped me.

Internal locus of control - Realizing you are in control of you.

unSplitting - leaving the the black and white, all or nothing thinking to embrace different degrees of truth and false hoods.

Answers are better than complaints - In the faith it was easy to cry to God for every and anything. After deconversion I had to solve problems, rather than complain about them. Using Critical Thinking, friends and logic, I learned how to come up with solutions. Reducing my complaints.

Support - After leaving the faith I realized I still needed a community of people. So I personally try to find groups to be apart of. One way of doing this is using meetup.com to make a place and a time for atheists to meet up. Also creating a facebook page for atheists in your area is a good idea too. Finding a community is a good way to get some support going.

Conflict with people, things, and situations - I've learned a good way to deal with conflict especially if something is really bothering me is to write it down.

I start with, I'm resentful at: , The Cause, Affects My, and finally My Role in It.

Guilt - After writing that down ^ I see if can apologize if it doesn't hurt my self or others. I only apologize for my role, and by doing that I also forgive my self. If I can't apologize to the person I find a friend to talk to, and let them know why I feel bad.

Being wrong - Learning to be wrong so I can be corrected is hard. But I have to remind my self a lifetime with an incorrect idea isn't worth it. Also I had to learn how to not take offense when somebodies ideas challenge mine. I had to learn that my belief isn't who I am. It's just the yes answer on whether or not I think it's true.

Things I can't change - Rather than letting go and letting God, I simply let go of things I cannot have control over. Simply I can only choose my reactions, to minimize harm, stress, and anger

Stress - Making time to do something I enjoy, from masturbation to reading a good book. Also just taking care of business and not putting it off is good too.

Anger - Managing this is pretty easy as I've had a lot of practice with it. If I'm angry or really frustrated I'll play video games, exercise, and art.

Courage - How I deal with this is simple. I try it even if I'm frightened, enough practice with the scary thing and the fear of it seems to melt away.

Quote:If you guys have anything to add please do. Share what has worked for you!
(just a note we are not psychologists and there are resources available, these are just suggestions)
Sister thread, http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...m-Religion
I had missed the earlier posts. This was AMAZING advice I love it. Especially the forgiving one. I need to practice that more. Brilliant Bowing

― Baruch Spinoza
29-08-2012, 11:33 PM
(29-08-2012 02:50 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-08-2012 09:32 PM)Alice Wrote:  Thanks, I'm a horrible insomniac so when I take meds to help me sleep you can tell! Those typos, unfinished thoughts, etc. it makes me seem like a idiot lol. In fact any advice on how to be able to sleep besides meds? I have been a chronic insomniac for years and hate the meds because of stuff like the above but don't sleep at all and I mean days if I don't .

I never thought you were an idiot.
I too have problems sleeping, but it is because of my metabolic problem. -_- I constantly feel hungry, so I can't sleep well.

OMG ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I am not the only dork! I have a hard time watching normal movies now lolol. What are your favorites? My focus is usually on equality civil rights issues, politics, and religion. How old are you if I may ask.

― Baruch Spinoza
29-08-2012, 11:40 PM
(29-08-2012 11:33 PM)Alice Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 02:50 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I never thought you were an idiot.

OMG ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I am not the only dork! I have a hard time watching normal movies now lolol. What are your favorites? My focus is usually on equality civil rights issues, politics, and religion. How old are you if I may ask.

Wow... It seems Logica, you, and ME have something in common.

Its not a dorkish thing to do, its the SMART thing to do.

Just incase those questions apply to me, I will answer them.

My favorites are science documentaries, but I love me some good ol' religious nonsense to equal out my fact/bullshit ratio.

Politics is something I watch if I have to do something that requires that knowledge.

I watch history just to remind myself that stupidity is infinite, and spans all human time. That is a message to me to expect stupidity,even when stupidity doesn't come.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.