Recovery from Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
30-08-2012, 09:02 PM
RE: Recovery from Religion.
(29-08-2012 11:40 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 11:33 PM)Alice Wrote:  OMG ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad I am not the only dork! I have a hard time watching normal movies now lolol. What are your favorites? My focus is usually on equality civil rights issues, politics, and religion. How old are you if I may ask.

Wow... It seems Logica, you, and ME have something in common.

Its not a dorkish thing to do, its the SMART thing to do.

Just incase those questions apply to me, I will answer them.

My favorites are science documentaries, but I love me some good ol' religious nonsense to equal out my fact/bullshit ratio.

Politics is something I watch if I have to do something that requires that knowledge.

I watch history just to remind myself that stupidity is infinite, and spans all human time. That is a message to me to expect stupidity,even when stupidity doesn't come.

what are the names? Ya I am hardly ever like hey lets go see a movie, my husband gets sick of the documentaries so now we alternate lol. I am excited about seeing Campaign though, I love politics so I'm hoping it will be full of political humor. I really enjoy the mix of the two soooo much like stuff on religion in politics. Right now I'm in college, I decided to go back at 27 lol so now I'm a sophomore again at 28 haha! I'm majoring in Social Work but minoring in political science so that (fingers crossed) I can get into law school, so I have been taking all these political science classes, that are not "religious" but they are connected. The history of politics and religion are intertwined and in really really odd ways. The class I'm taking now is modern political thought from like the 16th century through the 19th I believe, and we are talking about Calvin from Geneva, its so interesting. So many different religious beliefs here carried over from a lot of European beliefs, which is probably why the actual FOUNDERS of the united states were like thats fucked up, were not doing that lol. Can I say that word?

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.”
― Baruch Spinoza
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 09:05 PM
(30-08-2012 09:02 PM)Alice Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 11:40 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Wow... It seems Logica, you, and ME have something in common.

Its not a dorkish thing to do, its the SMART thing to do.

Just incase those questions apply to me, I will answer them.

My favorites are science documentaries, but I love me some good ol' religious nonsense to equal out my fact/bullshit ratio.

Politics is something I watch if I have to do something that requires that knowledge.

I watch history just to remind myself that stupidity is infinite, and spans all human time. That is a message to me to expect stupidity,even when stupidity doesn't come.

what are the names? Ya I am hardly ever like hey lets go see a movie, my husband gets sick of the documentaries so now we alternate lol. I am excited about seeing Campaign though, I love politics so I'm hoping it will be full of political humor. I really enjoy the mix of the two soooo much like stuff on religion in politics. Right now I'm in college, I decided to go back at 27 lol so now I'm a sophomore again at 28 haha! I'm majoring in Social Work but minoring in political science so that (fingers crossed) I can get into law school, so I have been taking all these political science classes, that are not "religious" but they are connected. The history of politics and religion are intertwined and in really really odd ways. The class I'm taking now is modern political thought from like the 16th century through the 19th I believe, and we are talking about Calvin from Geneva, its so interesting. So many different religious beliefs here carried over from a lot of European beliefs, which is probably why the actual FOUNDERS of the united states were like thats fucked up, were not doing that lol. Can I say that word?

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Yep, its fuckin' fine Big Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
30-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks to Alice, we now have a Recovering From Religion Sub-Forum listed under Health & Psychology. I've moved this thread to this new forum.

This will give us a place to share our experiences. The painful and the good. Having this Sub-Forum will help us to list and find resources specifically for folks that have been hurt by religion and are in some phase of recovering from whatever harm a religious upbringing may have caused them.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-08-2012, 09:10 PM
(30-08-2012 09:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thanks to Alice, we now have a Recovering From Religion Sub-Forum listed under Health & Psychology. I've moved this thread to this new forum.

This will give us a place to share our experiences. The painful and the good. Having this Sub-Forum will help us to list and find resources specifically for folks that have been hurt by religion and are in some phase of recovering from whatever harm a religious upbringing may have caused them.

Awesome, now I have a place to share all about my mission trips to Africa.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
30-08-2012, 09:17 PM
(30-08-2012 09:10 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 09:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thanks to Alice, we now have a Recovering From Religion Sub-Forum listed under Health & Psychology. I've moved this thread to this new forum.

Awesome, now I have a place to share all about my mission trips to Africa.

That's a great idea!
Be sure to post pictures. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm glad to see this forum here, though I'm still working thru things as opposed to being in a place where I'm post-religious. Or perhaps I am...I've already had that moment of realization that the world makes more sense without the evangelical God than it does with him.
[+] 1 user Likes BrianD's post
30-08-2012, 09:22 PM
(30-08-2012 09:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 09:10 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Awesome, now I have a place to share all about my mission trips to Africa.

That's a great idea!

I would, but I am not sure if my mom would approve of that, she is the keeper of them.

30-08-2012, 09:33 PM
(30-08-2012 09:22 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 09:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's a great idea!

I would, but I am not sure if my mom would approve of that, she is the keeper of them.

Well you could tell her your witnessing to the godless. Big Grin

30-08-2012, 09:36 PM
(30-08-2012 09:22 PM)BrianD Wrote:  I'm glad to see this forum here, though I'm still working thru things as opposed to being in a place where I'm post-religious. Or perhaps I am...I've already had that moment of realization that the world makes more sense without the evangelical God than it does with him.

Hey Brian, I can relate. I had about a 7 year process of going from total strong believer to the point I finally realized I was an atheist. Most of that period was a time of not really ready to give up belief in God, but I was pretty sure the evangelical version wasn't the correct view.
This is a good place to share and interact. Sadly, I spent most of that time without this sort of supportive community and was too afraid to talk about it with my fellow Christians. So please feel free to share, even if it's a case of still sorting through what your doubts are all about.

30-08-2012, 09:38 PM
(30-08-2012 09:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 09:22 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I would, but I am not sure if my mom would approve of that, she is the keeper of them.

Well you could tell her your witnessing to the godless. Big Grin

I could, but she already knows That I am one of the Godless.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post