Recovery from Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-10-2012, 09:32 PM
RE: Recovery from Religion.
Try looking for Freethought groups. Or Freethinkers.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 09:03 AM
THIS IS A GREAT THREAD .

Heart cute
02-12-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www.seculartherapy.org/

A place to get therapy if you need it to recover from religion.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
15-04-2013, 08:25 AM
you guys! im very new here and let me just say, reading through this thread you guys had me laughing and all the way to tears! a roller coaster of emotions! its so nice to feel like im not alone as i can relate to so many of your stories.
if im not intruding id like to share my experience with religion. my parents are what i guess you would call lapsed christians. fully believing in religion, but not church goers as they think its a money scam. growing up i had many questions and the most common answer was the lord or jesus or because god wanted it that way. at a very early age i adopted the church of discovery channel and national geographic and found the answers i was asking my parents for were in fact not what they were telling me. and also through school i learned to always question and do you research and anything is possible. evolution was very early on instilled in me and i would think how cool it would be to see current animals evolve in my lifetime. idk just maybe im lucky that i didnt get a religion imprinted deeply in my brain...
however my recovery begins when i interact with people around me. my family is still very religous and i get written off as being crazy or different or flawed because in a non-believer. i feel i have to keep my beliefs hidden around them, and very recently, as i stated in my introduction thread, my bf as well. like with my dear grandparents for instance, now deceased, we were having a discussion about god and the 9/11 incident and i stated how god wouldnt allow this to happen to all of these innocent people if he were real. my grandmother said something to the effect of "what, you dont believe in god?" and when i told her the truth that i dont, she went on a rampage and bombarded me teachings of the lord and bopped me on top of the head(lol) and i regretfully just told her i was kidding, i believe in god. there is no acceptance for athiests in my family, so i live as a black sheep, living a lie and never speaking of it.
well sometimes i speak of it, like when my mother got a tattoo....i told her she cant go to heaven now because she marked her body! and i get resentful of religion because it has forced me to to be hidden. end rant, thank you for reading.
[+] 1 user Likes stashthegoods's post
31-01-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm about 2 months into acknowledging verbally that I am now an atheist. And while being an atheist is simply a view point on god and not a new religion, because all aspects of my life were based on the a very fundamental Christianity, I'm having a lot of aha experiences as I figure out my life.

For example, last week, I found myself driving home in a nasty snowstorm. I live in upstate NY, so it was a real storm with blinding snow and icy roads.
As the conditions became very dangerous, I realized, "Crap, I don't believe in god anymore so I can't pray for safety"
I laughed at myself, took a breath and thought, well I'm going to have to rely on science.
I reminded myself that I was in a car with skid control and good tires. I also remembered the lessons my Dad gave me years ago in driving in winter weather. How to take your foot of the gas and the brake, turn into a skid and then back out again to prevent fishtailing.
I told myself you can do this, and guess what girl, if you do go off the road it won't be because 'god needs to get your attention'
I had a couple of close calls with the guardrail but was thankful that other drivers were also being careful and that I could recall my Dad's instructions.
I made it home safely and realized how much less frightening it was to just do my best then it was to have a "Jesus take the wheel" attitude and hope that I wasn't destined for some spiritual lesson that could only be learned through tragedy.
04-06-2014, 12:09 AM
(13-08-2012 02:47 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  After becoming an atheist I had some problems dealing with emotions, see things clearly and living a life with out god.

The point of this thread is to give you guys some knowledge. The things I've learned has worked for me and hopefully we can share methods for dealing with the world with each other.

I hear that a lot of people feel lost when they deconvert. I set up a thought experiment for my self to explore the idea of the meaning of life.

Every living thing interacts with everything surrounding it. There is no way in reality that a living thing cannot keep its self from interacting. So at the very least when a person interacts with another. We should do so in a manner that benefits our species. That for me is a good enough meaning for life.

Quote:Now when God is every answer to everything, we need a way to think with out him, and to deal with emotions. Here are a few things that has helped me.

Internal locus of control - Realizing you are in control of you.

unSplitting - leaving the the black and white, all or nothing thinking to embrace different degrees of truth and false hoods.

Answers are better than complaints - In the faith it was easy to cry to God for every and anything. After deconversion I had to solve problems, rather than complain about them. Using Critical Thinking, friends and logic, I learned how to come up with solutions. Reducing my complaints.

Support - After leaving the faith I realized I still needed a community of people. So I personally try to find groups to be apart of. One way of doing this is using meetup.com to make a place and a time for atheists to meet up. Also creating a facebook page for atheists in your area is a good idea too. Finding a community is a good way to get some support going.

Conflict with people, things, and situations - I've learned a good way to deal with conflict especially if something is really bothering me is to write it down.

I start with, I'm resentful at: , The Cause, Affects My, and finally My Role in It.

Guilt - After writing that down ^ I see if can apologize if it doesn't hurt my self or others. I only apologize for my role, and by doing that I also forgive my self. If I can't apologize to the person I find a friend to talk to, and let them know why I feel bad.

Being wrong - Learning to be wrong so I can be corrected is hard. But I have to remind my self a lifetime with an incorrect idea isn't worth it. Also I had to learn how to not take offense when somebodies ideas challenge mine. I had to learn that my belief isn't who I am. It's just the yes answer on whether or not I think it's true.

Things I can't change - Rather than letting go and letting God, I simply let go of things I cannot have control over. Simply I can only choose my reactions, to minimize harm, stress, and anger

Stress - Making time to do something I enjoy, from masturbation to reading a good book. Also just taking care of business and not putting it off is good too.

Anger - Managing this is pretty easy as I've had a lot of practice with it. If I'm angry or really frustrated I'll play video games, exercise, and art.

Courage - How I deal with this is simple. I try it even if I'm frightened, enough practice with the scary thing and the fear of it seems to melt away.

Quote:If you guys have anything to add please do. Share what has worked for you!
(just a note we are not psychologists and there are resources available, these are just suggestions)
Sister thread, http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...m-Religion
05-06-2014, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 09:09 PM by anonymous66.)
I find it difficult to come to terms with my screwed up family and religion. On one hand, we went to fundamentalist church and were young earth creationists, on the other, my dad was a dry drunk (with some binges) who would lash out at my mom with mental, verbal and physical abuse. I'm not sure if there are many who can understand that combination. My mother also suffers from a mental illness, and I'm sure my dad contributed to her illness.

I'm mentally healthier living as an atheist, but I still have to deal with my troublesome childhood. I show some symptoms of PTSD and I find it difficult to get along with people.

I'm not completely out as an atheist, and I thought I could just continue to live my life as usual even though my wife still considers herself to be a Christian (although she doesn't go to church all that often), and we have some Christian friends. My biggest pet peeve is just the arrogance of some Christians with their "I've got something good that you can't have" attitude.