Recovery from atheist abuse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 04:00 PM
RE: Recovery from atheist abuse
Banned, probably for the best including hers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
02-03-2017, 04:11 PM
(02-03-2017 03:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ---
Pretty sure that reddit post now shows only "deleted" for the username.
---

Mmnnah... maybe... there are ways.

The only thing that really ever prompts me to go looking anymore, is if one of them says something that sticks out. If I'm intrigued enough, I've been known to go pretty deep. I don't advise it. Shit can follow you. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-03-2017, 06:22 PM
(02-03-2017 03:15 PM)kim Wrote:  Note the phrase I bolded - I found it to be interesting.

Atheists have been speaking up for a decade now, but I guess some people still aren't used to that -- even some atheists.

Since religious people use social pressures to gain converts, it seems entirely proper for atheists to ridicule bad ideas to help deprogram people.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-03-2017, 07:37 PM
(02-03-2017 06:22 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 03:15 PM)kim Wrote:  Note the phrase I bolded - I found it to be interesting.

Atheists have been speaking up for a decade now, but I guess some people still aren't used to that -- even some atheists.

Since religious people use social pressures to gain converts, it seems entirely proper for atheists to ridicule bad ideas to help deprogram people.

1) I totally agree with this. I'm also tired of anyone, even an atheist, saying "you atheists" and then going on to apply to everyone the most negative stereotype(s) they've encountered. And then have the gall to take umbrage when they are called on that degree of bullshit, as if the fault is in everyone else, but not themselves.

As a Drill Instructor of mine once quipped, "Son, if everyone else is marching out of step, it's probably you."

2) Having wasted most of the past 20 minutes carefully reading this thread to figure out what the problem even was in the first place, before the clusterfuck that led to her banning, I am reluctant to call this person a troll... though "Christian fundamentalist covertly trying to gather material they can use to make atheism look bad" isn't out of the question.

I'm sorry that they felt they could insult atheists and then hide behind the "personal issues and support" section when they were corrected on their bullshit. Until the whining began, I saw nothing inappropriate to the PI&S section.

Nevertheless, I hope this person, be they a dishonest Christian faking atheism for purposes of pious fraud, or a real person dealing with the often difficult transition to letting go of the propaganda you've been fed about religion and about atheists/secularism, gets some serious help. This was the wrong way to seek such help... but they need it. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-03-2017, 10:40 PM
I'm going to over generalize here but I think most people visiting a new forum tend to read a good deal before posting anything.

I only frequented the Atheism & Theism section for the longest time before branching out into the science, literature & movie sections.

I read through the subject titles and peeked in on stuff that interested me. It took a while before I left my first reply.

I gave my two cents and moved on feeling good about what I said. I would check back the next day for replies and read what others had to say.

I learned a lot in those first couple of months.

You know what I didn't do.
I didn't begin with a post insulting nearly everyone in the forum on my first day.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 7 users Like Rahn127's post
02-03-2017, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 01:51 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-03-2017 07:37 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  1) I totally agree with this. I'm also tired of anyone, even an atheist, saying "you atheists" and then going on to apply to everyone the most negative stereotype(s) they've encountered. And then have the gall to take umbrage when they are called on that degree of bullshit, as if the fault is in everyone else, but not themselves.

[Image: d12b29a084c245ff9f1b3b41f5c53512355cce6d...09f5e9.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
03-03-2017, 01:30 AM
(02-03-2017 06:22 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  

I would say that ridicule should be default way of dealing with religion, as it is nothing more than fraud to control the masses full of infantile stories. Religion deserve to be ridiculed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-03-2017, 01:45 AM
(03-03-2017 01:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 06:22 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  Atheists have been speaking up for a decade now, but I guess some people still aren't used to that -- even some atheists.

I would say that ridicule should be default way of dealing with religion, as it is nothing more than fraud to control the masses full of infantile stories. Religion deserve to be ridiculed.

Except that our frequent chew-toy guests appear to think, "No, that's only those other religions that deserve to have their infantile ideas ridiculed. MY religion is The Truth™ directly from God, and deserves respect and deference!"

Irony is staring them in the face, and yet their myopia is so strong they still can't see it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
03-03-2017, 01:51 AM
(03-03-2017 01:45 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 01:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that ridicule should be default way of dealing with religion, as it is nothing more than fraud to control the masses full of infantile stories. Religion deserve to be ridiculed.

Except that our frequent chew-toy guests appear to think, "No, that's only those other religions that deserve to have their infantile ideas ridiculed. MY religion is The Truth™ directly from God, and deserves respect and deference!"

Irony is staring them in the face, and yet their myopia is so strong they still can't see it.

And that is their problem.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-03-2017, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 01:55 AM by Robvalue.)
No ideas should be protected from ridicule. Good ideas don't need protecting.

I would never go up to a random theist and get in their face though, even on a forum. If asked, I'll give my opinion politely and candidly.

But if I'm talking generally, I'll mock any and all ideas as much as I like. If someone decides to take that personally, it's not intended. If they have rational defenses for their beliefs, then there should be no need for emotional appeals.

Mock my beliefs all you like, anyone. I don't care. If you can actually make me feel stupid, then you'll have proved a point.

I feel it's important to differentiate mocking beliefs and mocking people, though.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Robvalue's post