Recovery from atheist abuse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 02:01 AM
RE: Recovery from atheist abuse
(03-03-2017 01:52 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  No ideas should be protected from ridicule. Good ideas don't need protecting.

In the context of this discussion you may be right but IRL the good ideas need protection too as they do not stand on their own, i.e. woman right to have abortion is a good idea, but if not for big protest gov would have trampled it*.

*There was talk about making abortion illegal in Poland. Women marched against it and clergy sucking politicians backed of. Sadly it was only tactical victory.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2017, 02:08 AM
(03-03-2017 01:52 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I feel it's important to differentiate mocking beliefs and mocking people, though.

[Image: 10891568_838694032869827_2068173081227399057_n.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-03-2017, 02:13 AM
(03-03-2017 02:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 01:52 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  No ideas should be protected from ridicule. Good ideas don't need protecting.

In the context of this discussion you may be right but IRL the good ideas need protection too as they do not stand on their own, i.e. woman right to have abortion is a good idea, but if not for big protest gov would have trampled it*.

*There was talk about making abortion illegal in Poland. Women marched against it and clergy sucking politicians backed of. Sadly it was only tactical victory.

Oh for sure, yes. I meant entirely in the domain of civilized discussion. Good policies do indeed need protecting, even when the ideas behind them don't. If you mock a good idea, you end up looking stupid.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
03-03-2017, 02:15 AM
(03-03-2017 02:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 01:52 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I feel it's important to differentiate mocking beliefs and mocking people, though.

[Image: 10891568_838694032869827_2068173081227399057_n.png]

Absolutely. I respect everyone's right to have their own beliefs, and to be able to voice them without censorship (within reason). But I certainly don't have to respect the beliefs themselves. I'll respect the person though, unless I'm given a reason not to.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
03-03-2017, 02:21 AM
(03-03-2017 02:13 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 02:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  In the context of this discussion you may be right but IRL the good ideas need protection too as they do not stand on their own, i.e. woman right to have abortion is a good idea, but if not for big protest gov would have trampled it*.

Oh for sure, yes. I meant entirely in the domain of civilized discussion. Good policies do indeed need protecting, even when the ideas behind them don't. If you mock a good idea, you end up looking stupid.

In politics things aren't so clear cut as there you can mock good idea and still look good to those who share your worldview or just outlook on one particular issue.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
03-03-2017, 02:23 AM
That's very true. It seems to me that politics is more about showmanship than anything else, sadly.

I guess what I meant is that mocking a good idea will make you look stupid to a free-thinking person.

03-03-2017, 02:27 AM
(03-03-2017 02:23 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  That's very true. It seems to me that politics is more about showmanship than anything else, sadly.

I guess what I meant is that mocking a good idea will make you look stupid to a free-thinking person.

Possibly, if said person think that idea you mock is good.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-03-2017, 02:31 AM
Well, if someone disagrees with me, they're not free-thinking hard enough Wink

By "good" I mean supported by evidence, in this context. Not morally good.

03-03-2017, 02:36 AM
(03-03-2017 02:31 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Well, if someone disagrees with me, they're not free-thinking hard enough Wink

By "good" I mean supported by evidence, in this context. Not morally good.

There can be conflicting evidence, or differing interpretation of it.

But really my point is that good ideas need protecting too and you can be mocked for protecting them.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
03-03-2017, 02:45 AM
Yeah, you're right. I'm speaking too ideally, rather than realistically.

The good ideas don't need protecting from discussion, though. All topics should be on the table. I'm not communicating well this morning Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post