RE: Recovery from atheist abuse
Welcome. Sorry no cool kids here, we're all nerds Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
08-10-2016, 04:55 PM
(08-10-2016 04:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Troll. Drinking Beverage

Come now Chas. As obvious as it is, it's still the personal issues section and we must at least pretend to be nice. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-10-2016, 05:11 PM
(08-10-2016 04:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 04:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  XXXXXXXXXX

Come now Chas. As obvious as it is, it's still the personal issues section and we must at least pretend to be nice. Angel

Oops. Sorry about that. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2016, 05:39 PM
(08-10-2016 03:09 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  What happened to me as a science savvy theist on fb
None of us know, so maybe you should tell us.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
08-10-2016, 05:39 PM
(08-10-2016 03:09 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  What happened to me as a science savvy theist on fb who wanted to be in the cool gang is a testimony to the fundamentalism and atrocities of new age atheism

...what?

[Image: 100.gif]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
08-10-2016, 05:45 PM
G'day Geekgroupie, and welcome. Smile

(08-10-2016 03:09 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  What happened to me as a science savvy theist on fb who wanted to be in the cool gang is a testimony to the fundamentalism and atrocities of new age atheism

I have no issues with "science savvy" theists—many of our top scientists have been or are theists. I'm guessing you're a younger person (?) as you're more than necessarily concerned about anonymous comments on FaceBook. Just ignore 'em; who cares?

And you really need to elaborate what exactly you mean by "the fundamentalism and atrocities of new age atheism". Fundamentalists (in religious terms) believe that the statements in the Bible are literally true, and argue against the theory of evolution and in the belief in intelligent design. And I have not the faintest idea of which alleged atheist "atrocities" you're talking about.

As a matter of interest, you might like to know that in 1999, a group of religious leaders from the Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist, and Orthodox Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and several other faiths met in Switzerland, and released The Geneva Spiritual Appeal, which asked world religious leaders and organisations to ensure that religions are not used to justify violence in the future. Delegates believed that many of the then-current 56 conflicts had religious elements. Unfortunately, around 22 of those religious conflicts continue today.

—Can you name even one war that was mounted purely in the cause or name of atheism? Nope.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Hello! Big Grin
09-10-2016, 11:26 AM
[Image: sp05122016.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-10-2016, 11:32 AM

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but it sounds like you picked one of the worst possible places to try and have a reasoned debate.

If a rational discussion is what you're after then your best bet around here is to find somebody willing to go one-on-one with you in "The Boxing Ring." Either that or drop somebody a PM.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-10-2016, 11:56 AM
(09-10-2016 11:32 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but it sounds like you picked one of the worst possible places to try and have a reasoned debate.

If a rational discussion is what you're after then your best bet around here is to find somebody willing to go one-on-one with you in "The Boxing Ring." Either that or drop somebody a PM.

As a fellow theist, I think I could have a reasoned and impartial discussion with OP. If only he or she wasn't a drive by poster just flailing their arms in a futile effort to fling some "provocative" statement out there without and support or backup.