Recovery from atheist abuse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2017, 10:37 PM
RE: Recovery from atheist abuse
Well, I tried.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
01-03-2017, 10:53 PM
ETA: deleted in regards to FC's post.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
01-03-2017, 10:53 PM
(01-03-2017 10:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Well, I tried.

Yes you did, check your reps.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-03-2017, 10:55 PM
(01-03-2017 10:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How about everyone chill out. From here on out we keep in mind this is the Personal Issues and Support section and treat it as such.

Gotcha. Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
01-03-2017, 11:00 PM
(01-03-2017 10:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 10:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Well, I tried.

Yes you did, check your reps.

Thumbsup

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2017, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 11:19 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-10-2016 03:09 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  What happened to me as a science savvy theist on fb who wanted to be in the cool gang is a testimony to the fundamentalism and atrocities of new age atheism

What is this? A single sentence (maybe, there is no period) that rambles without making a point or asking a question. Given that the OP was unknown, the post reads as any one of the typical drive-by posts we get by angry theists. 'Cool gang' reads as sarcastic, 'new age atheism' is a term that nobody here self identifies with and carries the negative association with 'new age' woo. This doesn't read as a cry for help or support, it reads as accusatory gibberish. Not the best way to get help if you are genuinely seeking it.

(01-03-2017 09:57 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 04:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Come now Chas. As obvious as it is, it's still the personal issues section and we must at least pretend to be nice. Angel
Pretend? Seriously? This is the personal issues section and I am a fellow atheist here. FFs, if this can't be a safe place then this whole thing is a fraud.

To be fair, we didn't know that. Like I said, your first post, the very first impression you gave everyone on the forum, was that of an unintelligible rant in the Personal Section with no follow up. Is that someone genuinely looking for help? For just another drive-by who couldn't even be bothered enough to post in the right section? At first glance, all indications pointed to the later.

(01-03-2017 09:57 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  At this point, I seriously wish I could go back to being a Christian you guys are such jerk offs. I wish I had never started reading science and making science friends who were all atheists so that I would never have found out about the debate groups. I was happier before. All I get is crap from my fellow atheists. Where else can I meet other atheists? We need to be a supportive community.

Sure, if you want support you can find it. But how were we supposed to know that? Look at your OP again. It's just vapid; no context, no questions, no explanation. At best we could pick out an accusatory tone with what appeared to be sarcasm, and if that was not your intent, then your OP failed miserably.

(01-03-2017 10:07 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 12:51 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Just speaking for myself here but im pretty easily entertained.
So, lets go to the personal issues section for a few laughs, right? That's the kind of integrity you have? No wonder xtians wonder where atheist's morals come from.. I wonder where they are at all.

You helped make this train wreck, so what's the point of getting angry at people rubbernecking at the wreckage? But if you actually want help, lashing out at people amused by the clusterfuck is not productive. Accusing them of being immoral or unethical is not productive.

(01-03-2017 10:13 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 10:15 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I never even noticed the purple border.

Consider
What may appear as a drive by was an I FORGOT . Ok? And as far as this isn't being the place to rip someone a new asshole.. well, its kinda too late for that now isn't it? And you think I deserve it?

Do I?

(09-10-2016 09:46 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Guys, while I agree with the general sentiment, please remember what the purple border indicates.

If someone does a stupid 1-post drive by here, just let it be. The 'Personal Issues and Support' section isn't a place to rip someone a new asshole, no matter how much they might deserve it.

So, for the record, I had no idea who or what you were. But this section has rules, and they were being broken. I understood why they were being broken, but I did my best to give the benefit of the doubt to everybody involved. If you were genuine in your need (which was not obvious in your OP), you didn't deserve the flak; even if you did appear for all intents and purposes to be just another run-of-the-mill drive by post by an upset theist looking to strike out at 'new age atheism', whatever in the hell that is.

(01-03-2017 10:13 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  Well, now.. tell me how you justify ripping me up as being deserved? Do you go by feelings? Cuz you know how we atheists feel about that as if you guys were half fukken Vulcan or something.

I did get one email from someone.. i'll have to double check. At least someone made a private attempt to reach out to a fellow atheist who is hurting, dude. You fukken jerk offs are no better than the assholes on FB. And this.. a personal issue section. This is what I call another atrocity of fundamental atheists who are so full of fukken shit. I only hope I have a good reason to apologize to you later.. but I doubt you even want that , now do you? lets just go for the fight club mentality. that's a lot more fun, now isn't it? Yes. i'm pissed. I only wish I could bet money on how you'll respond to this.

So did you want help, or would you rather remain adversarial and lash out at everyone who couldn't make sense of your nonsensical OP?

(01-03-2017 10:27 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  Now.. if I had come in here as a newbie atheist complaining about the abuse I got from xtianity, well then.. its out come the Kleenex. But let a relatively new atheist come in here .. to a personal issues section no doubt... and complain about how I was treated when I was a deconverting theist who WANTED to become an atheist.. and its toughen up motherfucker .

Once again, I had no idea that was what you were attempting to convey with your OP. Stop, read it again. You are assuming context and explanation that simply wasn't there in your OP. You left us with little to nothing to go on. Yes, people shouldn't have dog-pilled you in the support section. An OP so bereft of context should have just sat there unresponded too, until further clarification (which has only now come, 4 months later).

Hell, you even lashed out at me, and I was the one trying to defend you and give you the benefit of the doubt.

(01-03-2017 10:27 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  I don't get it. We need to recognize theists who have outstanding signs as a person who is curious and wants to chat. I didn't know I was getting into a shark tank. All my regular friends were atheists and hey.. here is a whole group of them? Kewl.

oh my effing gravity. I didn't deserve it. I had been deconverting for years without realizing it and in retrospect I was THAT close to dumping god all together.

Dudes... At one point I was encouraged to take my own life when my world was crumbling like the twin towers. And I've seen it happen to another theist as well. he was making hysterical threats of self harm and the atheists were encouraging him on . When I called them out they just said, Free speech ,, what a bitch.

Sadly, that's not uncommon on the internet, and it's hardly limited to atheists. However I imagine that if any of us went to a Christian forum and started accusing everyone there of being Westboro Baptists levels of looney, we'd be shown the door rather quickly.

(01-03-2017 10:27 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  Its just to the point I can't even stand to be around atheists in groups cuz you guys just make me more anxious and sick to my stomach. I wish I had never met atheists cuz you guys are so much alike everywhere.... there's so many of you fundy atheists . Its overwhelming. Believe me, i'm not the only atheist who despises atheists. We are few and far between but I may be the silent majority here. I fukken hope so and i'm seriously disappointed in my fellow anti fundamentalist atheists.

and I think i'll shut up now for a bit. I need to hit a fukken blunt or something. fuck off all of you. really.

Well, you're always free to leave. Yes, the posters here were wrong to dog-pile you in the Support Section, as I've already noted before. But if you are looking for community, then you need to be a part of it so we can get to know each other. If you need help, then you have to ask for it. Neither of those things were evident in your OP. You were unknown, appearing at surface to be just another passing agitated theist. But I have to come back to the same question now.

Did you want help, or would you rather remain adversarial and lash out at everyone who couldn't make sense of your nonsensical OP?

I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and give you the benefit of the doubt. If you actually want a community or need support, we are here. But if you'd rather just remain angry and stay accusative, then I wish you the best of luck elsewhere.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-03-2017, 11:34 PM
Evolution Kills.. i think it would be best for you to excuse yourself from my thread. and take your I Don't Care Cat OUT of the personal care section. I mean, really. That's hilarious.
01-03-2017, 11:49 PM
(01-03-2017 11:34 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  Evolution Kills.. i think it would be best for you to excuse yourself from my thread. and take your I Don't Care Cat OUT of the personal care section. I mean, really. That's hilarious.

(01-03-2017 11:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But if you'd rather just remain angry and stay accusative, then I wish you the best of luck elsewhere.

Drinking Beverage

01-03-2017, 11:54 PM
(01-03-2017 11:49 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 11:34 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  Evolution Kills.. i think it would be best for you to excuse yourself from my thread. and take your I Don't Care Cat OUT of the personal care section. I mean, really. That's hilarious.

(01-03-2017 11:13 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But if you'd rather just remain angry and stay accusative, then I wish you the best of luck elsewhere.

Drinking Beverage

Please excuse yourself from my thread and please ignore me from now on. Can you block me? I don't know how to do that yet here or if i can. Youre the only one i'm having a problem with at this point. PLEASE.
01-03-2017, 11:57 PM
(01-03-2017 11:54 PM)Geekgroupie Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 11:49 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Drinking Beverage

Please excuse yourself from my thread and please ignore me from now on. Can you block me? I don't know how to do that yet here or if i can. Youre the only one i'm having a problem with at this point. PLEASE.

I don't block people, because I never shy away from criticism. Look in your user CP options (top left, right under your forum account name), there you should find what you need to hide from uncomfortable truth. Drinking Beverage