Recovery from catholicism....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Recovery from catholicism....
Hi again. Im now feeling more comfortable in my own skin...and I go to therapy 2 x's a month now and I journal andcwalk and swim and am tryingbto eat healthier. But my 2 best friends are both bipolar and are both die-hard catholics. And they dont know about my deconversion....but recentlybI even lustened to 2 catholic apologists that they recommend. ..but they don't/didn't convice me or move me either....but now I realized that I am an Agnostic and a freethinker and a secular humanist as well as an atheist and also a recovering Catholic too...the issue of the Bible and the problem of evil-theodicy....as well as the attributes of God have led to my deconversion....just wanted to vent a little today here....Dan Barker and Seth Andrews and BartvEherman as well as Guy p. Harrison and David Silverman's material have all heloed me along in my deconversion process too....anyone care to share their thoughts about what I just wrote with me??? Thanks....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jason197754's post
28-10-2016, 06:47 PM
RE: Recovery from catholicism....
I'm glad you are doing better *hugs*
28-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Aww ty love.....
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
28-10-2016, 06:57 PM
(28-10-2016 06:21 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Hi again. Im now feeling more comfortable in my own skin...and I go to therapy 2 x's a month now and I journal andcwalk and swim and am tryingbto eat healthier. But my 2 best friends are both bipolar and are both die-hard catholics. And they dont know about my deconversion....but recentlybI even lustened to 2 catholic apologists that they recommend. ..but they don't/didn't convice me or move me either....but now I realized that I am an Agnostic and a freethinker and a secular humanist as well as an atheist and also a recovering Catholic too...the issue of the Bible and the problem of evil-theodicy....as well as the attributes of God have led to my deconversion....just wanted to vent a little today here....Dan Barker and Seth Andrews and BartvEherman as well as Guy p. Harrison and David Silverman's material have all heloed me along in my deconversion process too....anyone care to share their thoughts about what I just wrote with me??? Thanks....

And some day, (not now), you may even come to see that parts of it all, can still be appreciated, (the art and music, which really belong to human culture as much as the RC's) and don't have to be given up, just cuz you give up the clap-trap they preach. After you have a certain distance, you might see parts of it as OK. It's good to be separated totally, at least for a while.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Well....the thing is....I still watch some catholic videos online....but mostly just for kicks.....and maybe it's part of my recovery process....and I still pray with my devout bipolar catholic friend because she wants me too.....and I still will read the daily mass bible readings out of habbit too. And I even still go to mass with her 1-2 x's a week....but they're trying to suck me back into denial and bargining though....I guess mentally Im no longer Catholic....but emotionally Im a Recovering Catholic. You know hat I mean??? Now I live by science...reason...logic....philosophy....and common sense.......
28-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Understand that you don't have to hate the Catholics for what happened, they are pretty much in the same boat you used to be in. It'll take a while to get unstuck from all the programming that you have been subjected to. I still flinch at some things I see, and I realized that I was an atheist about 12 years ago. I felt like I was some kind of unclean person for not believing in god...one of those nasty atheists that I had been programmed to hate. Well, maybe hate is the wrong word, but I'm sure you get my meaning.

Association of religion with evil may be your issue. Much evil has been done by well-meaning people! Religion bears the brunt of the evil for that.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
29-10-2016, 12:21 AM
Hug

Glad to read/hear you're doing okay.

Smile
29-10-2016, 08:56 AM
[Image: 9hMtoB.gif]

Great to hear Jason.

Now with this new found freedom you will need to choose you're own direction.

There is no rule that say's you need to shove you're none belief in anyone's face. You can tell who you want, when you want, if you want.

In the real world I view the religious as victims. They have been brainwashed for so many years, they don't know any better. Never cridicly thinking like you and I have.

When they say things such as "I'll pray for you." I understand it's them tring to be nice. I don't feel the need to "HEY fuck you i'm an atheist!" However if it comes to the point where someone says "You need to pray." I'll say "no." If they continue to try to push their beliefs on me or demand that I do something to appease "their god". I take a stand.

Sometimes i'll hear someone say a religious question. or maybe questioning something from their religion, and I might put my two cents in. Or try to expand on that idea.

People reach atheism (normally) threw personal discovery's. Some lucky ones are born without that sort of required journey, and don't know what it was like for us. Having to struggle to get where we are today. But people like you and I have a great advantage, as we have lived on both sides. And it's important to remember, that we were not stupid, just ignorant, or miss informed. I can't blame them (the religious believer) any less then I can blame myself.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin