Recovery was hard.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2014, 03:49 PM
Recovery was hard.
I was a Christian for over 60 years. I could never "get it"...I figured I was doing something wrong. I started an extensive bible study. I have different versions, concordances, study guides, you name it. I even had the minister come to my house to help me understand some passages and he couldn't answer me...to my satisfaction that is.
It took me 2 years before I could say, "This stuff makes no sense." without looking over my shoulder to see if God or Jesus were watching me...hypothetically...lol
The transition from Christian to Atheist took almost 6 years. 60 years of brainwashing is not easy to remove completely. I said to myself over and over again, "God's gonna get me if I'm wrong." Hobo
Now I know...KNOW, that there is no one out there that is gonna get me, wrong or not. I feel so free from religion and it's mind controlling crap.....can I say that?
I am now 74 and look forward to the rest of my life.
You have to understand and remember, religion was invented to control people and to make a LOT of money.

Please remember the Native American Indians Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like justauntb's post
04-10-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Recovery was hard.
(04-10-2014 03:49 PM)justauntb Wrote:  I was a Christian for over 60 years. I could never "get it"...I figured I was doing something wrong. I started an extensive bible study. I have different versions, concordances, study guides, you name it. I even had the minister come to my house to help me understand some passages and he couldn't answer me...to my satisfaction that is.
It took me 2 years before I could say, "This stuff makes no sense." without looking over my shoulder to see if God or Jesus were watching me...hypothetically...lol
The transition from Christian to Atheist took almost 6 years. 60 years of brainwashing is not easy to remove completely. I said to myself over and over again, "God's gonna get me if I'm wrong." Hobo
Now I know...KNOW, that there is no one out there that is gonna get me, wrong or not. I feel so free from religion and it's mind controlling crap.....can I say that?
I am now 74 and look forward to the rest of my life.
You have to understand and remember, religion was invented to control people and to make a LOT of money.

Welcome justauntb...welcome to the light Thumbsup

My parents, about the same age as you, grow even more religious as they get older whereas you went the other way, congratulations on your deconversion!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Welcome to the forum and to reason.Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Welcome. Yes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-10-2014, 11:31 PM
60 years of brainwashing. I would like to say you that you will have the possibility to die as an Atheist without the fear of hell.

I'm 20 years old and I can say you that I understood that all religions and spiritualities are false at the age of 19 years old. Also I'm a former conspiracy theorist therefore this is little difficult to rebuild a world view about many topics.
05-10-2014, 04:10 PM
(04-10-2014 11:31 PM)viocjit Wrote:  I'm 20 years old and I can say you that I understood that all religions and spiritualities are false at the age of 19 years old. Also I'm a former conspiracy theorist therefore this is little difficult to rebuild a world view about many topics.

I am very proud of you, even though I don't know you, but, I know that you have a nice long life with the freedom of the horribley debilitating power that religion has over some people. Good for you Smile

[+] 1 user Likes justauntb's post
05-10-2014, 04:14 PM
(04-10-2014 03:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome justauntb...welcome to the light Thumbsup

My parents, about the same age as you, grow even more religious as they get older whereas you went the other way, congratulations on your deconversion!

I am sorry for your parents. I live in a senior complex so I deal with people like that on a daily basis. I have a rule with all of them, "you don't preach to me and I won't tell you how wrong you are.......Big Grin"

[+] 2 users Like justauntb's post
05-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I have read and enjoyed your posts and just want to say welcome to the forum!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I probably cannot offer any real help, It is a shame and a blessing that I had never really been brainwashed as a child or indoctrinated with religion. I did believe as a child, but grew out of it naturally as a teenager.

If you need support, you will have it here. I also suggest looking up any free thinkers and humanists/atheist clubs in your area. I am thinking of joining one that is meeting the 18th of October in a town not far from where I am...just gotta figure out where the place is they are meeting at and how to get there.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-10-2014, 10:39 AM
(10-10-2014 08:32 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  . I am thinking of joining one that is meeting the 18th of October in a town not far from where I am...just gotta figure out where the place is they are meeting at and how to get there.

I sure hope you find a way there. I would give anything if there were another Atheist group around here. My son and grandson are both Atheists, but, that's different.Facepalm
They have been Atheists for ever, so they don't even give it a thought anymore...except when Bible Thumpers come to my son's door....you don't want to see that Hobo