Red Dead Redemption

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Red Dead Redemption
I know this game is now about two years old, but I only just got it and I'm finding myself absolutely adoring it. But one thing I'm finding I love about it is not just gameplay and how well it captures the history of 1911 American West (I'm a history nerd), but also the writing and especially the main character, John Marston.

I'm not too far in, but some of the writing has really captured me. A couple of lines in particular from Marston:

'Faith is a luxury I can't afford'

(Paraphrased) 'Rules don't mean much of anything unless there's a reason behind it. Like my son - I make a rule, he breaks it just to spite me. If I punish him, he resents me. But if I show him a reason behind it, he has a reason to at least not do it again.'

Guy almost seems like a secular humanist in some ways. Blink

A lot of philosophical and religious topics come up in conversations Marston has with others when you're riding horseback from point A to point B with a group. The latter line is one I just heard on a mission to save a woman who rescued you at the game's beginning who's held as ransom by outlaws.

Marston's a compelling, deep character to me, as he's really caught in a tough spot, and trying to make it in the rather lawless American west. It's been a while since a main protagonist really felt kind of relatable, and this deep, to me.

And I'm just loving this game, and I just felt compelled to share my thoughts here. Back to playing more. Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Wolf Bird's post
03-04-2013, 09:46 PM
RE: Red Dead Redemption
Never played it. I need to, too many things in line already.
06-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Great game. I started replaying it last week, just crossed over to Mexico.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm spending so much time just exploring, running around the world on horseback, enjoying the lovely scenery and doing whatever random things crop up (retrieving a stolen horse or cart, hunting animals, breaking horses, whatever) that I still haven't crossed into Mexico. I think I only have a few more missions to do before then, though.

06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I still have yet to play this game, and I really want to.

...I never got through GTA IV since I got so sidetracked blowing civilians up with cheats on. I don't think I will run into those problems with this game.

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 04:43 PM by ELK12695.)
It was a good game, but it did lack a few things, shoplifting and bankrobbing was undetailed and you can't raid trains. The best thing about Red Dead is the Poker minigame. Not only can you cheat, but you can also stand up and shoot the crap out of that fuck who took all your money (Why the fuck do the chinese NPC's always win rounds, what the fuck).

And everyone MUST play the zombie mode expansion pack Undead Nightmare, it's one of only games that acually feel like a proper zombie apocalypse.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
06-04-2013, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 05:57 PM by Free Thought.)
Red Dead Redemption.
It is, without a single doubt in my mind, one of the best games I have ever played.
The game mixed the free-roaming and story very well (though I only over ride in wagons, they drive themselves at a constant speed if you are aiming your weapon). The music often sets up a fitting atmosphere. And mother of god, dat gun-fighting; amazingly well done.

The main character, Marston, is one of the best written characters I have ever seen, his story is incredibly compelling, especially when you get to the later part of the game. The end of the game is absolutely heart-wrenching.

My only problem is that, once the main story and the story of the after-game is done, aside from ride around, I don't feel like I have much to go back to, it is a fantastic game and I would love to play it again, but I just can't get the effort up to do it (like I said, it is my problem).

Undead Nightmare is a fantastic game as well, I feel like it is selling it short to simply call it an Expansion, I get the feeling Elk would agree with that sentiment.

Happy Redeeming, folks.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Red Dead Redemption
Indeed one of my favorite games. One of the few sandbox games I ever completed 100%...and kept playing anyway! Even the multiplayer is great and I usually hate that.

But, to those of you who found Marston to be a compelling character I would like to direct your attention to Bioshock Infinite. I finished it last week and the story is amazing, if a bit short. I cannot recommend it enough.

Also, biggest challenge: wilderness challenge where you have to hunt down 5 bears with only a knife. RAWR!
07-04-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm considering Bioshock: Infinite once the price comes down and I make it through some of my massive back-up queue.

RDR has at least made its way into my top 10 favorite games at this point - but breaking into the top 5 will be difficult, top 3 even more difficult. But I'm still in New Austin, as all the random challenges, stranger missions and such keep sidetracking me. I totally agree with Free Thought on Marston as being a well-written and compelling character. I honestly can't remember the last time I played a game with a main character this well written.

I dunno how I feel about Undead Nightmare...I'm just not into the zombie craze. Tongue

And speaking of which, I'm going to go play RDR now!

07-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Red Dead Redemption
(07-04-2013 08:35 AM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  I'm considering Bioshock: Infinite once the price comes down and I make it through some of my massive back-up queue.

RDR has at least made its way into my top 10 favorite games at this point - but breaking into the top 5 will be difficult, top 3 even more difficult. But I'm still in New Austin, as all the random challenges, stranger missions and such keep sidetracking me. I totally agree with Free Thought on Marston as being a well-written and compelling character. I honestly can't remember the last time I played a game with a main character this well written.

I dunno how I feel about Undead Nightmare...I'm just not into the zombie craze. :P

And speaking of which, I'm going to go play RDR now!

If well written characters are important to you then by the end of RDR it may indeed make it to your top 3. I'd also be interested to hear your opinion of Bioshock Infinite. Let us know what you think.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post