Red Sea Scrolls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Red Sea Scrolls?
So my mom's second husband claims that a discovery of "Red Sea Scrolls" is proof that the bible is the true word of "god".

There is only so much one Atheist can research!
Join me and give your input/research into this "discovery"!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 10:23 PM
RE: Red Sea Scrolls?
(25-11-2013 09:54 PM)SparkByTouch Wrote:  So my mom's second husband claims that a discovery of "Red Sea Scrolls" is proof that the bible is the true word of "god".

According to The Oxford Companion to Archaeology:

The biblical manuscripts from Qumran, which include at least fragments from every book of the Old Testament, except perhaps for the Book of Esther, provide a far older cross section of scriptural tradition than that available to scholars before. While some of the Qumran biblical manuscripts are nearly identical to the Masoretic, or traditional, Hebrew text of the Old Testament, some manuscripts of the books of Exodus and Samuel found in Cave Four exhibit dramatic differences in both language and content. In their astonishing range of textual variants, the Qumran biblical discoveries have prompted scholars to reconsider the once-accepted theories of the development of the modern biblical text from only three manuscript families: of the Masoretic text, of the Hebrew original of the Septuagint, and of the Samaritan Pentateuch. It is now becoming increasingly clear that the Old Testament scripture was extremely fluid until its canonization around A.D. 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Sc...gnificance

It's proof that the texts changed over time. Hardly the evidence one would expect for a divinely inspired inerrant text. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Are you sure it wasn't 100 BC

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
25-11-2013, 10:43 PM
(25-11-2013 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 09:54 PM)SparkByTouch Wrote:  So my mom's second husband claims that a discovery of "Red Sea Scrolls" is proof that the bible is the true word of "god".

According to The Oxford Companion to Archaeology:

The biblical manuscripts from Qumran, which include at least fragments from every book of the Old Testament, except perhaps for the Book of Esther, provide a far older cross section of scriptural tradition than that available to scholars before. While some of the Qumran biblical manuscripts are nearly identical to the Masoretic, or traditional, Hebrew text of the Old Testament, some manuscripts of the books of Exodus and Samuel found in Cave Four exhibit dramatic differences in both language and content. In their astonishing range of textual variants, the Qumran biblical discoveries have prompted scholars to reconsider the once-accepted theories of the development of the modern biblical text from only three manuscript families: of the Masoretic text, of the Hebrew original of the Septuagint, and of the Samaritan Pentateuch. It is now becoming increasingly clear that the Old Testament scripture was extremely fluid until its canonization around A.D. 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Sc...gnificance

It's proof that the texts changed over time. Hardly the evidence one would expect for a divinely inspired inerrant text. Drinking Beverage
well yeah, the text changes according to which culture it finds itself in, they love adding things to make it relevant to the political/cultural environment.
Ever consider telling the guy that the bible shares similar stories from Egypt and Mesopotamian? Egypt even became monotheistic for a time when the Pharaoh Akhenaten declared Aten to be the only god of Egypt by destroying and erasing any references to the old gods. Only Akhenaten and his wife Nefertiti were the only ones who could communicate with the one god.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
25-11-2013, 11:17 PM
(25-11-2013 10:43 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  well yeah, the text changes according to which culture it finds itself in, they love adding things to make it relevant to the political/cultural environment.
Ever consider telling the guy that the bible shares similar stories from Egypt and Mesopotamian? Egypt even became monotheistic for a time when the Pharaoh Akhenaten declared Aten to be the only god of Egypt by destroying and erasing any references to the old gods. Only Akhenaten and his wife Nefertiti were the only ones who could communicate with the one god.

So Akhenaten was basically a royal Egyptian Jesus? Consider

25-11-2013, 11:23 PM
@evolution kills
Do you have the original author of that passage handy. The reason I ask is that in my Biblical History class we go through the Oxford History of the Biblical World. This book has no connection to anyone at Oxford. They are instead all part of a single Biblical study school of thought based in Harvard. They focus on archaeology. I was wondering if this might be the same group.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
25-11-2013, 11:26 PM
(25-11-2013 11:23 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  @evolution kills
Do you have the original author of that passage handy. The reason I ask is that in my Biblical History class we go through the Oxford History of the Biblical World. This book has no connection to anyone at Oxford. They are instead all part of a single Biblical study school of thought based in Harvard. They focus on archaeology. I was wondering if this might be the same group.

The citation on Wikipedia is listed as...

^ Fagan, Brian M., and Charlotte Beck, The Oxford Companion to Archaeology, entry on the "Dead sea scrolls", Oxford University Press, 1996.

25-11-2013, 11:53 PM
I don't understand what the OP wants. Something isn't true by virtue of being old. I dunno what kinda 'proof' this is supposed to be.

26-11-2013, 12:35 AM
WTF is a "red" sea scroll? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Quote:So my mom's second husband claims that a discovery of "Red Sea Scrolls" is proof that the bible is the true word of "god".

Is it possible that your mom's second husband is a moron?

This seems to be a joke from 1975.

http://members.bib-arch.org/publication....rticleID=4

Quote:The Red Sea Scrolls
By Woody Allen

Scholars will recall that several years ago a shepherd, wandering in the Gulf of Aquaba, stumbled upon a cave containing several large clay jars and also two tickets to the ice show.

Look at the name of the author.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post