Red heifer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 07:39 PM
RE: Red heifer
(11-05-2016 07:23 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Why do you guys think prophesies have to be fulfilled divinely? .... I guess what I'm asking is what criteria are you using to come to this conclusion?

That's a good point but fact is Yahweh supposedly told someone to write this stuff down and it was supposed to happen no matter what but it's not happening, so then some of his followers take it upon themselves to make it happen but it's still not quite right and now we have wars going on over it and many innocents are dying so why isn't this big guy stepping in to help his people? Because he doesn't exist...but I do remember reading that Israel would live in peace because everyone would know the Jews were his chosen people and they would respect that but how are we all supposed to know that? Unless he tells us? He's certainly not helping the situation...because he doesn't exist.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 07:49 PM
(11-05-2016 07:02 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Holy Cow! Red Heifer Born in the US

“This is the statute of the law that the Lord has commanded: Tell the people of Israel to bring you a red heifer without defect, in which there is no blemish, and on which a yoke has never come.” (Numbers 19:2)

Why does a god need a red heifer? Facepalm

Red cow poop. Why else ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2016, 07:57 PM
(11-05-2016 07:23 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Why do you guys think prophesies have to be fulfilled divinely? .... I guess what I'm asking is what criteria are you using to come to this conclusion?

Personally, when someone reads a prophecy and then goes out and arranges for it to be fulfilled, it just seems a little forced.

I'm more interested in the extensive list of failed prophecies.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
11-05-2016, 07:58 PM

“This is the statute of the law that the Lord has commanded: Tell the people of Israel to bring you a red heifer without defect, in which there is no blemish, and on which a yoke has never come.” (Numbers 19:2)

Dude, it's what the recipe called for...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
11-05-2016, 08:01 PM

Well, to put it simply, we don't.

Most Christians expect them to be fulfilled divinely because that was one of Christ's big claims to fame. In Christianity, mere mortals don't do prophecy. Not and remain mere mortals at least.

Jesus showing up on your toast is much less impressive if you have a Messiah embossed on the grill.

Since that's the type of prophecy that most of us have pushed at us that's what we're used to pointing and laughing at.

If we get the original meanings wrong it's because Judaism just doesn't do enough Evangelizing. And no, that really isn't a complaint.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
11-05-2016, 08:04 PM
(11-05-2016 07:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Red cow poop. Why else ?

Bucky, you should know better than to try and parody this stuff.

Numbers 19:5 And one shall burn the heifer in his sight; her skin, and her flesh, and her blood, with her dung, shall he burn:

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-05-2016, 08:08 PM
OK, so reading Numbers 19 to get the context I am very not seeing a prophecy here. I'm seeing instructions on sacrificing a red heifer. Nothing about end times, just a nasty burnt offering.

Am I missing something?

---
11-05-2016, 08:11 PM
(11-05-2016 08:08 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  OK, so reading Numbers 19 to get the context I am very not seeing a prophecy here. I'm seeing instructions on sacrificing a red heifer. Nothing about end times, just a nasty burnt offering.

Am I missing something?

No, you're not.
11-05-2016, 08:14 PM
(11-05-2016 07:39 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  

That's a good point but fact is Yahweh supposedly told someone to write this stuff down and it was supposed to happen no matter what but it's not happening, so then some of his followers take it upon themselves to make it happen but it's still not quite right and now we have wars going on over it and many innocents are dying so why isn't this big guy stepping in to help his people? Because he doesn't exist...but I do remember reading that Israel would live in peace because everyone would know the Jews were his chosen people and they would respect that but how are we all supposed to know that? Unless he tells us? He's certainly not helping the situation...because he doesn't exist.

Jewish thought teaches that the whole point is figuring out how to do it ourselves. The bible tells a story of a G-d who is increasingly taking a step backwards and letting humanity plot their own course.

Relying on G-d to do things for you is the exact opposite of what Judaism teaches.

Tired of these rampant diseases? Let's make cures and vaccines.
Want to end hunger? Go develop GMOs and create a plan to get food to everyone.
Need to educate the entire world at once? Invent Google!
Tired of natural disasters? Let’s figure out how to control the weather.

According to what I was taught in Jewish studies, humanity can have absolutely everything and anything that we can fathom and are willing to work toward. Maybe some theists want to sit around and pray for everything and expect G-d to just hand them whatever they ask for, but that’s not how it works and it doesn’t say anywhere that that’s how it works. That’s not a theism problem. It’s an idiocy problem.

If we want a red heifer, we’re going to get one one way or another, and how we get it doesn’t negate that it was accomplished fair and square.

And for whatever it’s worth, if Christians want to pay my way to Israel, they’re welcome to do that. I’ll take their money. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
11-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Don't you guys watch South Park? Tongue