Redeveloping my worldview

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Redeveloping my worldview
When I first became an atheist, I told myself that despite my lack of belief in a god, I wouldn't give up my "christian values". I still wanted to be a good person, but now I see that my old values were either obvious, or unjust. I am currently in the closet, and all the people I know are christian, so I have nobody to turn to. I have always believed that abortion is wrong, but now I'm not sure, I still dislike the idea of killing the unborn baby, but as the youtuber "the religious antagonist" put it, is masturbation then murder too? I'm 15 years old, and realize now that my political views may need some adjusting as well, my parents are hardcore republican, as well as all (but one) of my friends. This may be in the wrong section but, would someone please inform me on their differences, as unbiased as possible. I understand that that might be difficult, as I have yet to find an unbiased description of either party online. I am told that when the government gives handouts, most people that get the money aren't even trying to support themselves. I am told that Obama is stupid, yet now I see Romney was wearing magic underwear, so I question the intelligence of them both now. If there are any big issues that I might not know about, please let me know, thanks all for reading and look forward to your responses.

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 09:35 PM
RE: Redeveloping my worldview
The best thing you can do, is learn what you can about each issue. Start with the ones that really matter to you and work out from there. Listen to both sides of the issue.

I find that what you hear on TV are the extreme views and pretty much everyone I've met (except for my fundie in-laws), their views fall in the middle of those extremes....some a little more on the left, some a little more on the right, but for the most part, most people are in the center zone on topics.

It sounds like you are surrounded by one side of most of these issues but you know there's another side to the story.

Some questions to ask yourself? please don't answer them here- I don't want to start another battle.

1. Do you think someone should be allowed to marry the person they love?
2. Do you think a woman has a right to choose whether or not she goes thru childbirth? Is her body hers to decide what to do with it?
3. Where does life begin? People can argue about 20 different stages where it begins.
4. What should your tax dollars pay for?
5. We provide emergency services police, fire, ems, schools, trash service, roads, etc as a basic service in a community, should a doctor visit be included in those basic needs provided?

there's a hundred more topics, a hundred more opinions, learn both sides, and when you are old enough...VOTE! This country needs educated voters.

pray in one hand and spit in the other, see which hand fills up first.
09-07-2013, 09:38 PM
also have you looked in to the Humanism websites? Their motto is 'doing good without god'

their websites address many of these issues too.

10-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks for your response, looking into humanism. As for the argument, I wouldn't mind an argument as it would expose me to others beliefs, and could change my own "beliefs". I quote that because I'm not sure I believe them, and would love to hear peoples opinions and most importantly... why. So despite you're request, I will answer your questions, as I wish to expose myself to opinions held in the secular community.

1) If you mean gay marriage, I'm all for it. Still have a lingering homophobia (some say it doesn't exist, but I'm creeped out by gays, and I know I shouldn't be. I'm still trying to shake of the lingering grasp of religion. Sorry if I offended any gays, that's just the truth)

2)

10-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Ok, the website randomly posted my reply, won't let me edit for some reasonHuh? Anyways.

2) I have no clue. Is the unborn baby considered living? I don't know what to think, and I hope the argument doesn't get heated, but I wouldn't mind some people to share their own opinions on this.

3) Again, not sure

4) Pretty vague question, but I think we should help the people who need it. I have no respect for people who take handouts without trying to get back on their feet. If you need help, take it, but try to get a job. I think were spending enough on the military, if http://www.pgpf.org/Chart-Archive/0053_d...comparison is to be believed. Schools and science should be funded, but more logically.

5)This is another tough one. I've been indoctrinated my whole life, so my instinctive reaction is no. Then, after more thought, I think it should be for life-threatening illnesses/wounds, but for the cold, I'm not so sure. I've been told that for a government funded medicare, it would require that taxes be raised dramatically. I have been told that quality would decrease, and that waiting lines for the doctor could be weeks (not so sure I believe that). Please share your opinion. I have no experience with any other viewpoint, every time they are on TV, my parents shake their heads, laugh, call them idiots, and change the channel. Stop reading and post your opinionBeat_stick! Smile Thanks All

10-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Sorry. I won't share my opinion in this thread because its in the support forum. There is a politics forum. Just ask a question there explaining that you would like to hear both sides.

10-07-2013, 07:13 AM
here's a thread you might want to keep an eye on,
political insight -set me straight

10-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Umm.. the description under support states "Got a problem? Need some advice? Just want to vent and get something off your chest? This is the place for it." I need advice and have a problem. Why is it any different for you to answer my question here vs a different section? My questions fall under both categorize. Nevertheless, I will repost my question under politics.

10-07-2013, 04:42 PM
The new thread is here: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...iew--17895