Refuting the Bible Answers (Again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 04:42 PM
RE: Refuting the Bible Answers (Again)
(27-01-2014 04:31 PM)Kestrel Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 03:58 PM)Question Everything Wrote:  I don't know if "happier" is the right word. Things make more sense as an atheist. Things make no sense as a theist. If God wants me to believe in him (or her or it) is it too much to ask to get some kind of direct communication at least on occasion? All I can possibly know about God can only come from other people (who aren't even alive any more), never directly?

A perfectly reasonable position.
Thanks for the answer. Thumbsup

I agree with this - for example I work in the medical world and cannot say that atheism necessarily makes me "happier" but reality & world around us does make far more sense.
Eg knowing there is a personal God who tortures kinds with Leukaemia, wipes out a child from malaria fever every 45 seconds because God intelligently designed mosquito's & plasmodiums using humans as hosts to feed the parasites and all the other "natural evils" not only doesn't make sense from theism but is utterly barbaric.
On the other hand understanding the causes of pathology naturalistically via science and that the way the natural world functions "isn't personal or providence" is a relief but doesn't make me "happy" however at least it makes 100% sense empirically & rationally.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I want to say at this point that I want to know the truth, whatever it is, and the sooner I find out the better. If there is a god of any kind who wants me to believe that he exists, I would be very interested in hearing from him. Same with any other being out there, god or not, supernatural or not, who wants me to believe in them. Fine. Bring them on. Anytime is fine. I'll hear what they have to say. All I ask is that they:

1. Communicate with me in a way I understand.

2. Not be a human or a creation of humans.

Any non human being out there who is reading this post, now's your chance to speak up! (Date, time, longitude, latitude, and magnitude of the next earthquake big enough to cause property damage would be greatly appreciated.)

"If what you say is actually true, I would want to know it too. ... You can convince me, and if it is true I want you to convince me ... and I will thank you for convincing me."

AronRa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXJHVB7pROE
9:18
28-01-2014, 02:30 PM
(27-01-2014 05:03 PM)Question Everything Wrote:  I want to say at this point that I want to know the truth, whatever it is, and the sooner I find out the better. If there is a god of any kind who wants me to believe that he exists, I would be very interested in hearing from him. Same with any other being out there, god or not, supernatural or not, who wants me to believe in them. Fine. Bring them on. Anytime is fine. I'll hear what they have to say. All I ask is that they:

1. Communicate with me in a way I understand.

2. Not be a human or a creation of humans.

Any non human being out there who is reading this post, now's your chance to speak up! (Date, time, longitude, latitude, and magnitude of the next earthquake big enough to cause property damage would be greatly appreciated.)

If your ready for an advanced book precisely on this topic then read:
Divine Hiddenness and Human Reason (Cornell Studies in the Philosophy of Religion) John L. Schellenberg

[Image: 41%2BUNiXOKNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st..._OU02_.jpg]

If you have philosophical inclinations then this book will do just fine.
I can go into it into more depth - but not sure if this is the right forum or what your background is.(or email me)

There are many surrounding questions such as what if you discovered we are just subject to natural laws and there is no supernatural, God or gods likely ?
How would this effect you ? What *IF* this was the answer ?
Does that somehow impede on your happiness or meaning ?

Do you HAVE to have a purpose which is externally forced upon you (by God, aliens or supernatural beings) or can you find your way in a natural world which is impersonal ? (earthquakes just happen because of tectonic plates - not because its personal TO YOU ! )

What is your passion ? What excites you ? Do these have to come from some revelation ?

What if you searched your entire life and received no revelation ?

What if Calvanism was true and you are just a non-elect puppet of God ? Perhaps part of Gods plan is you don't deserve to receive Grace because His Ways are not your ways & He works in mysterious ways ?

What is missing in your life that revelation would *FIX* ?

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]