Refuting "the problem of evil"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2014, 05:50 AM
RE: Refuting "the problem of evil"
Baruch:

Reading your comments, it looks like you had a similar experience to Chas when you attempted to parse my post and make meaning out of it.

Did you get my point, about there being a difference between qualities and quantities, my argument being about the former and your response being about the latter?

Also - you were kind enough to expose your position on beauty/goodness/truth, what did you make of my comments to that post?

In my opinion, the reason you conflated quality with quantity in your response to my ideas is related to the fact that in your reality perceptions, you confer primacy on Truth but depreciate Beauty and Goodness

Phil
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 06:04 AM
(23-08-2014 08:54 AM)Baruch Wrote:  My point is actually quite trivial - that there is nothing created ex-nihilo, paradoxical or from any singularity but that the emergence process fits in perfectly within our understanding of thermodynamics & conservation of energy. I.e emergence of water from H & O requires energy transfer in this case as a exothermic reaction - not just H & O popping magically into H20
2H2 + O2 = 2H2O + ENERGY.(with some energy to trigger the reaction under room temperature such as from a spark) The "emergence" occurs once the covalent bonds and new molecule is produced.

And remember that you are making this point to someone who a bit earlier on stated that all matter and energy in the universe sum to zero (e.g. you are preaching about conservation of energy to someone who has already shown awareness of conservation of energy).

So if your refutation of my post was based on the premise I don't understand something that in fact I do understand, what might that say about the nature of your refutation?

Did I not mention that my degree is in engineering? I am a design engineer. Essentially, engineering is the subject of applied physics, if i did not understand rudimentary physics I would not be able to do my job (and I am quite successful at doing my job).

Phil
24-08-2014, 06:09 AM
(23-08-2014 01:00 PM)Baruch Wrote:  Phil - Have you been reading "The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe by Lynne McTaggart" ??? (she tends to use zero energy concepts in a very misplaced new agey wishy washy way._

If you have then this lady knows nothing of physics & completely incompetent at science.

(Her book on medicine may be termed "evil" but that's another story for another day...)

No I have not read her book but it sounds like you have - Is that the sort of book you read?

Phil
24-08-2014, 06:22 AM
(24-08-2014 05:39 AM)phil.a Wrote:  Chas:

Thanks for having a look at that, It was interesting to learn how my words sounded from inside your perspective. It looks like there's little bits and pieces in there that made some sort of sense, but that for the most part it seems like my words were unintelligible and inconsistent with what you know.

You ideas are inconsistent with evidence.

Quote:The image that jumped to my mind about how my words sounded was rather like how it might sound if I got a MS Windows installation CD and attempted to play it in my audio CD player.

Re the reflecting back of your own ideas and beliefs that I did in a previous thread - I'd be interested to know how much of that I got right?

Also - can you offer me a similar reflection of my own perspective and beliefs as you see them?

Phil

I believe I have done that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-08-2014, 06:23 AM
(24-08-2014 05:50 AM)phil.a Wrote:  Baruch:

Reading your comments, it looks like you had a similar experience to Chas when you attempted to parse my post and make meaning out of it.

Did you get my point, about there being a difference between qualities and quantities, my argument being about the former and your response being about the latter?

Also - you were kind enough to expose your position on beauty/goodness/truth, what did you make of my comments to that post?

In my opinion, the reason you conflated quality with quantity in your response to my ideas is related to the fact that in your reality perceptions, you confer primacy on Truth but depreciate Beauty and Goodness

Phil

DEPRECATE

24-08-2014, 06:27 AM
(24-08-2014 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 05:50 AM)phil.a Wrote:  Baruch:

Phil

DEPRECATE
According to Thesaurus, those words are synonymous. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-08-2014, 06:57 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 07:01 AM by Chas.)
(24-08-2014 06:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  DEPRECATE
According to Thesaurus, those words are synonymous. Consider

Except they're not.

We deprecate the use of obsolete technologies in automobiles.

Your automobile depreciates in value.

"In mainstream English, the infinitive "to deprecate" means, simply, "to strongly disapprove of (something)". It derives from the Latin verb deprecare, meaning "to ward off (a disaster) by prayer". Thus, for a standard document to state that a feature is deprecated is merely a recommendation against using it. It is still possible to produce a program or product without heeding the deprecation; but to the extent that conformance with latest standards is a requirement of the buyer (that is, a condition of payment), it may not be acceptable in that it may fail to conform."

24-08-2014, 07:02 AM
What he said ^

I meant "depreciate".

Phil
24-08-2014, 07:15 AM
(24-08-2014 06:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 06:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  According to Thesaurus, those words are synonymous. Consider

Except they're not.

We deprecate the use of obsolete technologies in automobiles.

Your automobile depreciates in value.

"In mainstream English, the infinitive "to deprecate" means, simply, "to strongly disapprove of (something)". It derives from the Latin verb deprecare, meaning "to ward off (a disaster) by prayer". Thus, for a standard document to state that a feature is deprecated is merely a recommendation against using it. It is still possible to produce a program or product without heeding the deprecation; but to the extent that conformance with latest standards is a requirement of the buyer (that is, a condition of payment), it may not be acceptable in that it may fail to conform."
According to Oxford Dictionaries, "depreciate" can mean both "diminish in value over a period of time" and "disparage or belittle." They also list "deprecate" as one of the word's synonyms.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-08-2014, 07:17 AM
(24-08-2014 06:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-08-2014 05:39 AM)phil.a Wrote:  Chas:

Thanks for having a look at that, It was interesting to learn how my words sounded from inside your perspective. It looks like there's little bits and pieces in there that made some sort of sense, but that for the most part it seems like my words were unintelligible and inconsistent with what you know.

You ideas are inconsistent with evidence.

Quote:The image that jumped to my mind about how my words sounded was rather like how it might sound if I got a MS Windows installation CD and attempted to play it in my audio CD player.

Re the reflecting back of your own ideas and beliefs that I did in a previous thread - I'd be interested to know how much of that I got right?

Also - can you offer me a similar reflection of my own perspective and beliefs as you see them?

Phil

I believe I have done that.

I reflected back my understanding of a certain point of yours, you confirmed my understanding was correct. Since then, I have posted a list of things which are things i reckon you believe or perceive, you haven't yet commented on the things on that list.

Neither have you offered me a similar list of my own perspective and beliefs as you see them. I"d be interested to see such a list, to see how clearly you can see me.

Phil