Regionalism "coming out"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Regionalism "coming out"
Living in the northeast, I find myself really troubled and surprised at how hard It is to be an atheist in certain parts of the country. When I came out- so to speak - I was generally received with a lot of "whatever just don't be preachy about it" One person who is Russian orthodox told me she was sad got me but overall- people are apathetic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2013, 08:22 PM
RE: Regionalism "coming out"
I am new and still have to have my posts oked by a mod, so it might be a bit before anyone sees this.

Anyhow I live in Missouri and it is *Armageddon* when someone comes out as atheist, agnostic, humanist, etc. The vast majority of the people in my town are Christians and they are not the kind/understanding type. I have heard tales of divorces and parents disowning their children when they decided they came out. In the early 90s we had a surge of religious on non-religious assaults. It is not as bad as it used to be, but it's still psychologically damaging if you value your family and friends. There is a growing percentage of organized Wiccans and organized Atheists but they are looked down on by the general population. It's almost like nobody ever told them it wasn't the 50s anymore. Tongue

I would give anything to live in an area where it was met with apathy. Yay for the bible belt, eh?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
15-11-2013, 08:36 PM
(15-11-2013 08:22 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I am new and still have to have my posts oked by a mod, so it might be a bit before anyone sees this.

Anyhow I live in Missouri and it is *Armageddon* when someone comes out as atheist, agnostic, humanist, etc. The vast majority of the people in my town are Christians and they are not the kind/understanding type. I have heard tales of divorces and parents disowning their children when they decided they came out. In the early 90s we had a surge of religious on non-religious assaults. It is not as bad as it used to be, but it's still psychologically damaging if you value your family and friends. There is a growing percentage of organized Wiccans and organized Atheists but they are looked down on by the general population. It's almost like nobody ever told them it wasn't the 50s anymore. Tongue

I would give anything to live in an area where it was met with apathy. Yay for the bible belt, eh?

Only your first post needs to be approved. It so we can sort out spambots.

To OP: People Republic of Maryland (one of the more represented area's on the forum we have 3 regular users from the neck of the woods) so coming out here was not an issue.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I think you might find it is a difference between the coasts and the more interior parts of the country with the probable exception of large cities.

I have spent virtually the entirety of my life (67 years) in the greater San Francisco Bay area (San Mateo Co., Marin Co. Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco itself). No one has ever been troubled by my atheism although I will cop to never confronting by parents with it when they were still alive.

The sort of reception atheism might get here is represented by something that happened to me one night in the pub. I spent the 15-20 minute walk there carefully crafting a detailed argument why god was a human construct. I approached one of my cronies and opened with the statement that god was a human construct and I could explain why it was obvious. His response was along the lines of, tell me something I don't know.