RE: Regrets
You did what you had to do.
You have no reason to regret anything.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2017, 07:48 AM
(19-10-2017 07:37 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  You did what you had to do.

Not rationally, no. I was a better boss than most, a better friend than most, and I didn't go for revenge after her transgressions.

Emotionally is another story though. She did play a substantial role in a significant part of my life. And a part of me still loves her, faults and all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-10-2017, 08:10 AM
(18-10-2017 06:43 PM)Dom Wrote:  Anyway, there is no going back and talking it out with her anymore.

My experience has been that even attempting to talk things out with certain people leads to other disagreements, so you end up trading one lack of resolution for another.

Nothing is ever complete with people who aren't generous in their interpretations of others, so there's nothing you can do for them.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
19-10-2017, 08:12 AM
(19-10-2017 07:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 07:37 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  You did what you had to do.

Not rationally, no. I was a better boss than most, a better friend than most, and I didn't go for revenge after her transgressions.

Emotionally is another story though. She did play a substantial role in a significant part of my life. And a part of me still loves her, faults and all.

Well then she's better for having had you.
Take comfort in that.
IMO you went above and beyond the call of duty.

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
19-10-2017, 08:27 AM
A couple of months ago I was thinking about a friend from years back that I had lost touch with after an argument and looking back I know it was almost entirely my fault. I did some searching just to see what ever happened to him and discovered that he had died suddenly a couple of years ago. Regret sucks.

The obit mentioned that he'd been on the board of a local charity and asked for donations in his name be given to that so that's what I did. The lesson is to treat the people in your life now right and let them know what they mean to you before it is too late.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
19-10-2017, 09:15 AM
(19-10-2017 08:12 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Well then she's better for having had you.
Take comfort in that.

Yes, she certainly was better for it. She had never been more than 100 miles from home, was still in business school when I hired her, and if you ever saw "the swamp people" on TV, some of them are related to her. I hired her part time til she finished school and then took her to lots of places, London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Miami, Munich, Cyprus, Bahamas and what have you. It didn't take her long to become curious about other people, places, customs, foods and so on. And it changed how she looked at people in general. So, yes, she surely did benefit from having known me. And it was fun opening up the world to someone...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Yeah, sometimes regret is a mood that grips me ... right now is one of those times.

Sorry for your loss, bud.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-10-2017, 12:20 PM
(19-10-2017 07:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  Not rationally, no. I was a better boss than most, a better friend than most, and I didn't go for revenge after her transgressions.

Those emotions will take you out every time.

I had to cut my moms ex-husband and my adopted father out of my life because he was a predator, but didn't show that side of himself to us till I was 18 or 19. So for 17 years this man raised me, and provided the stability I needed for a rather lovely childhood, and then burned it all down by preying on me and my little sister (his biological daughter no less.) My mom tells me he's had to have a pacemaker put in so his health is declining. I'm worried I'll have regrets for never speaking to him again after he dies and I'm still sad and angry that things happened the way they did, and it's fucked up that I'm sad and angry about it all.

I'm sorry you're going through this pain. Being a human hurts sometimes. :hugs:

If you weep at the loss of the sun, then your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
[+] 3 users Like Miscellaniac's post
25-10-2017, 12:35 PM
(19-10-2017 09:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 08:12 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Well then she's better for having had you.
Take comfort in that.

Yes, she certainly was better for it. She had never been more than 100 miles from home, was still in business school when I hired her, and if you ever saw "the swamp people" on TV, some of them are related to her. I hired her part time til she finished school and then took her to lots of places, London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Miami, Munich, Cyprus, Bahamas and what have you. It didn't take her long to become curious about other people, places, customs, foods and so on. And it changed how she looked at people in general. So, yes, she surely did benefit from having known me. And it was fun opening up the world to someone...

Clear case of "the woman and the snake"

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
25-10-2017, 02:56 PM
(25-10-2017 12:35 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(19-10-2017 09:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  Yes, she certainly was better for it. She had never been more than 100 miles from home, was still in business school when I hired her, and if you ever saw "the swamp people" on TV, some of them are related to her. I hired her part time til she finished school and then took her to lots of places, London, Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Miami, Munich, Cyprus, Bahamas and what have you. It didn't take her long to become curious about other people, places, customs, foods and so on. And it changed how she looked at people in general. So, yes, she surely did benefit from having known me. And it was fun opening up the world to someone...

Clear case of "the woman and the snake"

"tis true. Still, after spending so much time roaming together, there are tons of fun memories.