Rehearsing for Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 05:14 AM
RE: Rehearsing for Death
(06-10-2015 05:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 05:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  The fact that you type that so easily... Schools don't need such things elsewhere on the planet.

You know the problem with America??

It's full of Americans....

Smartass

Well it's better that they're all in one place Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-10-2015, 05:14 AM
I was teaching woodwinds at one of our elementary schools a couple of days a week and ran into this situation, because as a teacher you're supposed to identify the safest place for the kids. I was teaching on stage in the cafetorium, with a wall of windows on one side and four double-door entrances into the room…We ultimately settled on a teeny storage room as the lockdown drill location. In a real crisis situation, we probably would have been shot trying to get from the stage to the storage room.

However, I also recognize that the probability of a gun event at the school is very low.

Armed teachers patrolling the halls would make me feel less safe, not more safe.
06-10-2015, 05:22 AM
(06-10-2015 05:14 AM)julep Wrote:  Armed teachers patrolling the halls would make me feel less safe, not more safe.

Let's look at that statement.

Why would you feel less safe if you knew other teachers might be carrying a gun?

If someone wants to hurt you - they can.

If someone wants to hurt you - saying it's illegal to carry a gun is a moot point - if they're planning to shoot you. They're not going to worry about the illegality of a illegal carry -- they're already going to commit murder.

So -- if a person is carrying a concealed gun - with the intent of PROTECTING you, should the need arise --- how can you possibly feel less safe?

I've carried a concealed gun - every day - for 14 years -- and not ONCE has my gun influenced my thinking. It's an inanimate object - it's ability to influence people's decisions is on par with astrology -- planets moving about, changing your life. It's total crap.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-10-2015, 06:05 AM
(06-10-2015 05:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's an inanimate object - it's ability to influence people's decisions is on par with astrology -- planets moving about, changing your life. It's total crap.

I think... that's a bit of a stretch.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-10-2015, 06:25 AM
(06-10-2015 06:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 05:22 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's an inanimate object - it's ability to influence people's decisions is on par with astrology -- planets moving about, changing your life. It's total crap.

I dunno. I know quite a few people who will change their behaviour (in subtle and largely trivial ways) after they've read their horoscope.

These are the same people, btw, who I would not trust with a gun.

Drinking Beverage

06-10-2015, 06:29 AM
(06-10-2015 06:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Not a stretch in the least. I've had several anti-gun types that insist I'm more likely to shoot someone - because I have a gun on me - and the gun's presence influences my decisions.

If you find that ludicrous - and I do - don't blame me. I didn't come up with that "theory", they did....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-10-2015, 06:59 AM
(06-10-2015 06:29 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 06:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  I think... that's a bit of a stretch.

Not a stretch in the least. I've had several anti-gun types that insist I'm more likely to shoot someone - because I have a gun on me - and the gun's presence influences my decisions.

If you find that ludicrous - and I do - don't blame me. I didn't come up with that "theory", they did....

Er... I don't find it ludicrous. If you have a knife on you, you are more likely than someone who does not, to kill someone. If you have a lotto ticket, you are more likely to win the lotto than someone who doesn't *purely by default*.

Having a gun is a pre-condition to killing someone with a gun. Carrying the gun - maybe not you, but can you really be sure that everyone who carries is properly trained and will only act as you would?

Personally I'm removed from the situation anyway, but if I lived in America I'd definitely be anti-gun. Not anti-*you* having a gun, but anti-Joe-Blow-Who-Thinks-Its-Cool having a gun. People who are properly trained and licenced - no worries there, and all you gun enthusiasts *are* properly trained and licenced.

I know it's a constitutional right which will take time to change, but I think that in this day and age to insist that civilization will collapse if *every* untrained idiot is not allowed to own a weapon capable of killing people with very little effort - *designed* in fact, to make killing people easy - that's what is ludicrous.

06-10-2015, 10:51 AM
(06-10-2015 05:00 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The REALITY????

The reality is this shit happens and their solution is to hide in a closet.

Yes. That's fucking cowardly. It's not really even a solution.

You don't think the "lone gunman" knows to look in closets????

Now you're all herded up together and he can concentrate his gunfire.

In fact - you did him a favor -- he'll save ammo.

Locked doors?? Big deal -- a twelve gauge with birdshot will open most doors.

A teacher with a concealed carry gun -- with training - would be a better solution AND something of a deterrent.

The REASON they attack schools is "NO GUN" policies. It's safe for them to pull their cowardly attack - slaughtering lambs huddled together in the closets.

When is the last time one of these whackadoodles attacked a gun show, or a police station --- NEVER??? I wonder why.

If you could get the media to cover the training of the teachers in a big way- (without revealing the teacher's identities) - --- those "lone gunmen" would have to think twice about attacking a school.

It's not "John Wayne" -- the reality -- John Wayne was a drunk. He wasn't a hero. He was an actor.

A hero --- Liviu Librescu. Look him up.

A real man with iron balls.

He didn't hide in a fucking closet.

I think you have a serious disconnect here....

In a classroom you are those children's person. You are every bit as important to them as their parents. We are talking about 4-5 year olds. You have tell them it's ok when they fall down, wipe their noses, comfort them when they're sad...and tell them to calm down when they're too excited like the days before Christmas.

These aren't even first or second graders. These kids aren't even in kindergsrten...they are in preK. You ask a kid in pre k what they might want to be when they grow up, you'll get silly answers. Ask a first grader and it's totally different.

So, while you go running down the hall playing Rambo to feed your ego and think you're going to all John Wayne and be the big hero...You have no intel about what's going on out there (they call for lockdowns for many reasons If there is a robbery in the area, they lockdown schools. It's standard proceedure).

What you are actually doing is leaving a group of four year olds on their own. Your abandoning them! You're leaving them alone with their peers all 16-20 of them!

Because you think it's about you.

It's actually about them. The little people who depend on you and are too young to understand gravity of their situation.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-10-2015, 11:49 AM
(06-10-2015 10:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 05:00 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The REALITY????

The reality is this shit happens and their solution is to hide in a closet.

Yes. That's fucking cowardly. It's not really even a solution.

You don't think the "lone gunman" knows to look in closets????

Now you're all herded up together and he can concentrate his gunfire.

In fact - you did him a favor -- he'll save ammo.

Locked doors?? Big deal -- a twelve gauge with birdshot will open most doors.

A teacher with a concealed carry gun -- with training - would be a better solution AND something of a deterrent.

The REASON they attack schools is "NO GUN" policies. It's safe for them to pull their cowardly attack - slaughtering lambs huddled together in the closets.

When is the last time one of these whackadoodles attacked a gun show, or a police station --- NEVER??? I wonder why.

If you could get the media to cover the training of the teachers in a big way- (without revealing the teacher's identities) - --- those "lone gunmen" would have to think twice about attacking a school.

It's not "John Wayne" -- the reality -- John Wayne was a drunk. He wasn't a hero. He was an actor.

A hero --- Liviu Librescu. Look him up.

A real man with iron balls.

He didn't hide in a fucking closet.

I think you have a serious disconnect here....

In a classroom you are those children's person. You are every bit as important to them as their parents. We are talking about 4-5 year olds. You have tell them it's ok when they fall down, wipe their noses, comfort them when they're sad...and tell them to calm down when they're too excited like the days before Christmas.

These aren't even first or second graders. These kids aren't even in kindergsrten...they are in preK. You ask a kid in pre k what they might want to be when they grow up, you'll get silly answers. Ask a first grader and it's totally different.

So, while you go running down the hall playing Rambo to feed your ego and think you're going to all John Wayne and be the big hero...You have no intel about what's going on out there (they call for lockdowns for many reasons If there is a robbery in the area, they lockdown schools. It's standard proceedure).

What you are actually doing is leaving a group of four year olds on their own. Your abandoning them! You're leaving them alone with their peers all 16-20 of them!

It's actually about them. The little people who depend on you and are too young to understand gravity of their situation.
I think you missed my point.

Did you look up Liviu Librescu???

He died protecting his students. He did the absolute best he could - which in his case was literally putting himself in the gunman's way - so his students could flee out a window. I wish this brave man had had a gun. He might be alive today.

John Wayne was never a hero.

06-10-2015, 12:20 PM
(06-10-2015 11:49 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 10:51 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think you have a serious disconnect here....

I think you missed my point.

Did you look up Liviu Librescu???

He died protecting his students. He did the absolute best he could - which in his case was literally putting himself in the gunman's way - so his students could flee out a window. I wish this brave man had had a gun. He might be alive today.

John Wayne was never a hero.

Wasn't he the guy at Virginia Tech? A college?

Comparing college kids to prek? You're not going to send 4 year olds through a window, unless you're told to by someone on the outside that knows for sure they're going to be safe. Do I need to keep mentioning we're talking about FOUR YEAR OLDS? This is what I mean by your disconnect.

In most grammar school classrooms the windows don't really open wide enough -- during a lockdown they're closed and covered so no one can see in. The classroom doors are locked from the inside and students are moved to safest part of the classroom. In the article Pablo posted it happened to be a closet. Because its your job to keep them all together because at that age they are like herding feral cats, you have to keep them very quiet because one makes noise they all will. They have piss poor self control

Lockdowns are actually fairly common. Schools will go into lockdown for lots of reasons most don't involve an active shooter on campus (robberies, police chase, etc). grammar schools are far more likely to go on lockdown for a robbery in the area...because then the main goal is to keep people out and keep kids safe inside.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post