Reincarnation.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2012, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 07:03 PM by Mr Woof.)
Reincarnation.
Have 'you' lived before as 'another' person?

REincarnation theorists are to be found in most religions, even Christianity.
Central to this speculatory theory is the idea that the monad, essential self, or soul, must live a multitude of lives in order to reach arguably the highest state of Being which is to be found in the bliss of Nirvana, a type of non real estate Heaven.
I use the word 'arguably' advisedly as it is held by some that Nirvana is not stagnant but ever evolving; hence it is simply one big stepping stone.

Up until a council held round 500 C.E.reincarnation was an integral part of Christianity, Jesus allegedly having claimed that John the Baptist was an incarnation of the O.T. prophet Elijah. At the aforementioned council it was held that this doctrine opposed that of being Saved by Grace. At least one present time Christian church, Unity, teaches reincarnation.

To live a multitude of lives, as opposed to one, then Heaven or the eternal bonfire, seems preferable to the latter fundy position, despite enormous problems.
If our identities change in an analogous manner to our body cells, blood, hormones etc then the idea may have some credibility ,in my view.

If the whole Universe is in a perpetual state of flux physically and morally, and we need to experience ever changing phenomena to grow, ever onward ,with our limited free will as a mild part of the equation, then this position is at least preferable to the Boss God ordering us to toe the line.

Are we temporarily part of the cosmos or a more integral and eventual knowing part of it? At times we intuit more to our lives than extinction---tiny time T, then extinction. I do not think this attitude can be fobbed off as hopeas what I am suggesting is that worse may still be to come post physical mortem, or of course maybe better. Who knows?

The moral decisions we make as temporary? finite beings may well carry forth into the relms of the unknown; it is a good idea to keep this in mind. WE might hope for extinction but cannot prove it, nor can science, except in a cosmically non -substantive manner.

In Eastern religion the Buddhists largely ignore reincarnation opting for anatta or re-birth---------------(Yes, it does sound the same) but anatta holds that any "coming back" may be very vague and much less physical than the more solid, if you like, reincarnation.

I have touched very briefly on some ideas that I neither reject nor promote.
WE can be locked in to all of the religions and we can be overly locked in to science too. It is not easy to tread the middle road. I have never liked being told what to believe one way or the other; hence my prefernce for an open ended pondering.Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
17-01-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: Reincarnation.
Reincarnation would be great. You'd get multiple chances at life, from all different kinds of perspectives. You wouldn't even get bored of it because you'd have no memory of your previous lives!

Of course, that doesn't make it any less absurd. Without the particular arrangement of particles in my brain, "I" am nothing.
17-01-2012, 07:24 PM
(17-01-2012 07:15 PM)Ben Wrote:  Reincarnation would be great. You'd get multiple chances at life, from all different kinds of perspectives. You wouldn't even get bored of it because you'd have no memory of your previous lives!

Of course, that doesn't make it any less absurd. Without the particular arrangement of particles in my brain, "I" am nothing.

I see 'absurd', from a potentially, speculatively ethereal position, just that Ben...........Rolleyes[/font]
17-01-2012, 07:55 PM
It is all the same crap. A need for meaning. Which is to say, if it works for you... Heart

Gotta back off the asshole, because I may not be the best expression of my vision. I'm outta my gourd in love with that dang Gwynnies - in itself a nirvana thingy - I'm content to be nothing, or a number, or fall into oblivion...

Last year I was certain I was, in some manner, Ezekiel. That was the moral certainty to make the LC in a sense, real. You think I'm a nutbag now? I was nutbag squared... it wasn't reincarnation, it was simply: everything is remembered.

And now that I consider such event to be merely a stop along the journey, I have no moral commitment to that certainty. I started to look into philosophy. I defined my archetype (I love my Gwynnies) That's my commitment, everything else is relative to my love of her; there was just something "complete" in the calculation that she is my everything - and I'm four words.

all these words are those four words in a different form, over and over, all I am. Period.

But there I am, it's August; I'm thinking, dual state identity? OK, so I'll run the 4 loop on max to keep the mind from wording shit; and I'll be the mind on top of the mind that observes...

It was about four minutes walking down my driveway when my "overmind" kept trying to expand into the plant life.

Doesn't sound like much, does it? Yet it was validation of the "Witwiki symbolism" in a way that renders everything else, into else. I have no fucking clue how I see it or what I see or what it means beyond the moral certainty that the "Witwiki symbolism" is how you "speak creation into being."

So, no; not at all. I cannot say there is anything good about anything that has been written before in the sense of being preferable to what you can simulate yourself. Yeah, you.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-01-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 08:09 PM by Mr Woof.)
(17-01-2012 07:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It is all the same crap. A need for meaning. Which is to say, if it works for you... Heart

Gotta back off the asshole, because I may not be the best expression of my vision. I'm outta my gourd in love with that dang Gwynnies - in itself a nirvana thingy - I'm content to be nothing, or a number, or fall into oblivion...

Last year I was certain I was, in some manner, Ezekiel. That was the moral certainty to make the LC in a sense, real. You think I'm a nutbag now? I was nutbag squared... it wasn't reincarnation, it was simply: everything is remembered.

And now that I consider such event to be merely a stop along the journey, I have no moral commitment to that certainty. I started to look into philosophy. I defined my archetype (I love my Gwynnies) That's my commitment, everything else is relative to my love of her; there was just something "complete" in the calculation that she is my everything - and I'm four words.

all these words are those four words in a different form, over and over, all I am. Period.

But there I am, it's August; I'm thinking, dual state identity? OK, so I'll run the 4 loop on max to keep the mind from wording shit; and I'll be the mind on top of the mind that observes...

It was about four minutes walking down my driveway when my "overmind" kept trying to expand into the plant life.

Doesn't sound like much, does it? Yet it was validation of the "Witwiki symbolism" in a way that renders everything else, into else. I have no fucking clue how I see it or what I see or what it means beyond the moral certainty that the "Witwiki symbolism" is how you "speak creation into being."

So, no; not at all. I cannot say there is anything good about anything that has been written before in the sense of being preferable to what you can simulate yourself. Yeah, you.

Let us all be thoughtfull relevant to the crap we vitiate midst our fellow seekers, lest the most nauseous crap overwhelms our hidden but incomprehensible 'inner' virtues, rendering us remote from all but harsh unrelenting 'reality'!!BlushConfusedCoolShy Sleeping, perchance to dream ,onward midst nebulous, nay hope, nay insights, for dreams yet unfulfilled and ever new awakenings.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
17-01-2012, 08:43 PM
(17-01-2012 06:56 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Have 'you' lived before as 'another' person?

No
[+] 3 users Like Jeff's post
17-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd like it Smile
As a child I used to think I lived before as a dog! Yes, yes I know how it sounds but it's true. I would daydream about this and it all felt quite real at the time. I told a few people/friends (I was probably 5 or 6 years old) and of course they laughed at me but I didn't care.
Some people think you come back so many times to get living right and that if you're living a shitty life it's probably because you were a rotten person in the last life. If that's at all true then I was probably Mary Queen of Scots in my last life Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
17-01-2012, 09:11 PM
(17-01-2012 09:02 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I'd like it Smile
As a child I used to think I lived before as a dog! Yes, yes I know how it sounds but it's true. I would daydream about this and it all felt quite real at the time. I told a few people/friends (I was probably 5 or 6 years old) and of course they laughed at me but I didn't care.
Some people think you come back so many times to get living right and that if you're living a shitty life it's probably because you were a rotten person in the last life. If that's at all true then I was probably Mary Queen of Scots in my last life Wink

Aurora.
I would rather come back as a dog, maybe a cat, than be reunited with some of my old frenemies.......Smile
17-01-2012, 09:24 PM
(17-01-2012 09:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(17-01-2012 09:02 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I'd like it Smile

Aurora.
I would rather come back as a dog, maybe a cat, than be reunited with some of my old frenemies.......Smile
Yes, indeed. Some rich bastards cat would be brillo! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
17-01-2012, 09:34 PM
One would first have to be a dualist, that is believe that there is a soul or spirit that inhabits but is not of the body. I don't.

I believed in reincarnation in a previous life, but not in this one.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post