Rejection from mother.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Rejection from mother.
I have an issue commonly spoken of in regards to my parent, my mother. She is involved in catholicism, which is why I am in a bad setting. I live in a home with my mother and two siblings, whilst my father resides with his brother around a mile away. They have been separated for a prolonged amount of time and the cause of this is my mother. I've come to this forum to ask others for reasonable advice, but I'll finish the story first before any answers. My father is an atheist, this describes why my mother/father could not coexist together and remain married as said. I am only 15, and for almost four years, I am forced under my mothers authority to go to church, read the bible, and commence in other religious rituals, I'm tired of it. My options are to inform my mother of my atheismn (Bad idea); or endure all of what she forces under me. The reason it is a bad idea to apprise my mother, is because if I where to for example, I would be rejected and punished in such a displeasing manner. What do you suggest, tell her? Or keep up what has been going on.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AIRFORCEONE's post
11-04-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: Rejection from mother.
Can you go live with your dad?

If so, I would let her know that I don't want to go to church anymore.

If not - you are likely stuck for 3 more years. It's not as long a time as you think, the older you get, the faster time goes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-04-2015, 06:29 PM
I would love to live with my father, but he stays at his brothers home, he moved out and he currently only resides there, he doesn't own a house currently. I am not allowed to live there but only visit.
11-04-2015, 06:32 PM
(11-04-2015 06:29 PM)AIRFORCEONE Wrote:  I would love to live with my father, but he stays at his brothers home, he moved out and he currently only resides there, he doesn't own a house currently. I am not allowed to live there but only visit.

Can you talk to your dad about being atheist?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Sorry, I forgot to include he was an atheist.
11-04-2015, 06:57 PM
(11-04-2015 06:34 PM)AIRFORCEONE Wrote:  Sorry, I forgot to include he was an atheist.

No you did include it, and that is why I asked if you could talk to him about the situation. He should understand.

11-04-2015, 07:08 PM
I'm not one to adhere to honesty just for the sake of adhering to honesty. It's all about cause and effect and using them to achieve the desired outcome. To that end, you have two choices.

1. Drop the burden of the religion mask and risk a few years of drama until you can move out on your own, and possibly afterwards depending on whether or not you feel compelled to stay in contact with your family.

2. Play the game and be a good Catholic for a few years, possibly indefinitely, in order to maintain peace, which could be helpful if there are other goals you're trying to focus on like school.

I'd personally make choice number two in the short term, then take the mask off when I leave the house and if anyone has a problem with it never talk to them again. Wearing costumes to fit in is a constant part of life, not limited to religion, and there is no reason to avoid it so long as it serves a useful purpose.

Just ask yourself "What is my end goal?", then consider your choices and their likely consequences and make the choice that is most likely to result in you achieving that goal.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
12-04-2015, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 10:09 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
I agree with Dom, talk to your dad. It is good that you at least know someone who is not religious and gets it and is close to you. At the very least, you have a place to vent. This is the only place many of us have to go and say "Oh MAN!! You are NOT going to believe what I was told today....." If you can't live with him, you may have to play make-believe for a couple of years. You always will have a place to come here. Yak's advice was good as well.

Edit, would it even be possible to say that you are struggling and want to investigate on your own or do you think that will only make her push you more? It really wouldn't be lying, just not too much information where she will freak out. If she allows it, that may give you some breathing room to clear your head. Just watch out for apologetics. If she gives you some, make sure you have a healthy amount of asprin nearby due to the massive headache they will cause.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac