Rejection of a claim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2018, 12:48 AM
RE: Rejection of a claim
(03-02-2018 05:59 PM)Belaqua Wrote:  "I claim I know what kind of evidence we would need to believe in a Martian base.

I claim we lack this evidence.

Since we lack such evidence, I claim that we have no reason to believe."

Your silly word games are very tiresome. Sorry; I'm not gonna play.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
17-02-2018, 11:39 AM
RE: Rejection of a claim
(03-02-2018 12:18 AM)Zink Wrote:  I was watching a debate take place on instagram and it started with a theist asking the question “what makes atheism true?”. It was explained that atheism is the rejection of a claim, not a belief. The theist countered by saying “rejecting a claim is itself a claim. You literally claimed that Christianity did not meet its burden of proof”. This threw the atheist off, it threw me off too.

Logically, is this possible? Is rejecting a claim, making a claim? I guess if I were to say “I reject your claim of a god due to lack of evidence”, and the theist countered that I was making a claim by saying that, what would be a good response?

Usually the theist asking this is treating atheism is a position of there are no gods. I would be able to answer this question but I would still point out that atheism is not a claim that there are no gods but that the atheist is one who does not hold a theistic belief. But it's also my position that gods do not exist, at least the kinds like in the Bible and the Koran and I know this because the claim that a god exists is self contradictory.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply