Rejuvenation Tank would they work in real life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2013, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 08:08 AM by Erikjust.)
Rejuvenation Tank would they work in real life?
We all properly seen it in some sci-fi movie or anime a person is grievously injured and to heal the person is placed inside a tank and the tank is then filled with a liquid that´s laced with all kinds of healing chemicals.
After a few hours or days the person comes out of the tank completely healed.

Now my question is if you actually made such a tank and placed a person in it would it heal that persons body any better then through "normal" treatment or would it actually make it worse?

Now I could imagine such a ting working on people who are wounded on most of their body, being submerged in a tank of liquid would allow the wound to be cleaned and at the same time become exposed to healing chemicals and pain killing and immune boosting drugs that would help stave off any infection.
Also being submerged in liquid you have a complete control over the environment the patient is placed in something that might be difficult with an open air environment.

On second hand i could also imagine a few problems with it:
First would be the degradation of muscles and bones: Being in water you´re basically weightless and we know full well the effects of that zero gravity have on the body.
second it would be hard to get at the person if something went wrong inside the tank: You are more or less locked inside this tank and if something goes wrong like a panic attack or heart attack or other such things you wouldn´t be able to immediately get out or have the medical staff get to you thus making it quite possible for thing to go wrong before you could receive help.

I would make a point about possible new wound opening up from the liquid dissolving skin, there´s a few problems A: i don´t know if all liquids suitable for a living body to be submerged into would do that and B:I don´t know how long such a thing would take, it might be that you would have to be submerged in water for several months before anything started to happen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2013, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 09:39 AM by kim.)
RE: Rejuvenation Tank would they work in real life?
Depends what is in the liquid. There is a highly oxygenated liquid substance used by deep water divers which is actually breathed into the lungs. This fluid is perfluorocarbon, also called Liquivent or Perflubron. The liquid has some unique properties. It has a very low surface tension, similar to surfactant, a substance that is produced in your lungs and prevents the alveoli from collapsing and sticking together during exhalation. It also has a high density, oxygen readily diffuses through it, and it may have some anti-inflammatory properties.

The lungs are filled with the liquid, the patient is then ventilated with a conventional ventilator using a protective lung ventilation strategy. This is called partial liquid ventilation. The hope is that the liquid will help the transport of oxygen to parts of the lung that are flooded and filled with debris, help remove this debris and open up more alveoli improving lung function and is designed to minimize lung damage.

Thinking about this liquid, I can certainly imagine burn victims being totally immersed in this liquid aiding in relief of skin damage but most importantly, relieved of lung damage which is very common in even the smallest of fires.

Here's an interesting article. The substance has been around a while and really caught the attention of the public in the film The Abyss. I'll watch any shitty movie with Peter Weller. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-02-2013, 09:38 AM
You already do get a lot of muscle degradation from people recuperating in beds. Placing someone in a tank might reduce bedsores and other problems. Perhaps you could control cross-infection better by eliminating microbe transfer between tanks or with the outside air. That said, I can only imagine that access to the patient would be more difficult Smile It would need to be a highly automated system. Then there are the waste problems...

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
24-02-2013, 09:46 AM
I like to get tanked.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
24-02-2013, 10:27 AM
(24-02-2013 09:38 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You already do get a lot of muscle degradation from people recuperating in beds. Placing someone in a tank might reduce bedsores and other problems. Perhaps you could control cross-infection better by eliminating microbe transfer between tanks or with the outside air. That said, I can only imagine that access to the patient would be more difficult Smile It would need to be a highly automated system. Then there are the waste problems...
Waste problems could be solved with a mechanical diaper the kind some comatose patients are equipped with.
Other waste problems such as dead skin cells and other such things could be solved by changing the liquid in the tank through constant circulation.

As for muscle degradation in beds you could ask the question will muscle degradation occur faster or slower in a weightless environment.
24-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Here's an interesting article on muscle wasting. However, I would think that immediate and necessary healing would be prioritized in the event that liquid emersion came into common use. Muscle wasting might be somewhat further down on the list with respect to the immediate healing needs of someone with seriously damaged lungs or burns covering a large portion of the body.

As Hafnof said, for long term patients - possibly coma, catatonic, or quadriplegic patients - the reduction of bedsores would be an enormous life sustaining/prolonging contribution of a liquid emersion tank. Many immobilized patients do die as a result of infected bed sores.

The liquid tank idea seems to have a lot of logical medical applications - it's a very interesting idea and I'm glad to see they are really doing research with this. I wouldn't have looked up some of this had you not brought up the subject - so, thanks for making me think. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.