Relative says I can't wear atheist t-shirts in his house.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 03:49 PM
RE: Relative says I can't wear atheist t-shirts in his house.
Get one of these...

[Image: hidden-message-fuck-off-t-shirt-thumb.jpg]

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Life is all about give and take.

Whilst I appreciate your views, that as an adult, you can wear what you want and wish to express it, it sounds to me like its a new found freedom.

Any 'rebelious' stage.... Will mellow and pass.

Enjoy your freedoms elsewhere. If wearing an atheist tshirt will bring fallouts, arguements and pain. Is it really worth it???

No Drinking Beverage

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
10-01-2017, 04:28 PM
(10-01-2017 12:14 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Think of it this way, you get to go home and live your life on your own terms while your relative lives his life under constant scrutiny of a magic genie weinie. Who's the winner in this situation? Big Grin

Fixed that for ya jennybee. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-01-2017, 04:30 PM
(10-01-2017 11:40 AM)RWulfgar Wrote:  I have a relative who is telling me he's so offended by my atheist t-shirt that I'm not allowed to wear it in his home anymore, or any other kind of atheist t-shirt.

While he has the right to ban me from his property for any reason, I guess, then that will mean I'll have to give up going there for family get-togethers like 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc., because I refuse to let him be my fashion police and tell me what I can and can't wear.

While I'm ok with not going there anymore for family get-togethers...
Seems a bit over the top.
Don't you have any normal shirts?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
10-01-2017, 04:49 PM
(10-01-2017 12:06 PM)RWulfgar Wrote:  You're so right, figure out what's best for the long term. I already know what that it is and it's sticking to my guns. Standing up for the right to free speech. What I need is the persuasive argument for that, or to turn the tables and show him that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Should I tell him he can't come on my property because of something he wears?

No. Don't lower yourself to his level; inspire him to raise himself. Letting him paint you into the position of being the jerk (in the eyes of the family) won't help you any, either.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
10-01-2017, 04:50 PM
As others have said, pick your battles. I'd let it slide since it's pretty clear who has the problem here. That and I don't own an atheist t-shirt.

Conversely, there's always

[Image: pink-maid.jpg]

or

[Image: man-bikini-11.jpg]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-01-2017, 04:52 PM
You could say that you never realized they were "so into fashion and wardrobe tips". Angel

We need a *limp wrist* smiley.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-01-2017, 05:00 PM
My $0.02, and worth every penny:

It's his house, and therefore it's his rules. I understand that you feel like he is pushing his religious values onto you and that he has no right to do so-- which is generally correct, except in his house. You are a guest and should therefore behave as a guest.

I'll use a counter-example. I recently threw a person out of my house for making racist comments. Do they have an absolute right to make racist statements, in general society? Yes, absolutely. And I have the right to counter-argue, and/or consider them an asshole. Do they have a right to come into my house, knowing that equal rights and dignity of all humans is a value I hold dearly, and abuse their guest status by saying/doing things that they know I will find deeply offensive?

Sure. But not without consequence. They get told to leave and never come back. That's my right.

If you want to make yourself the "bad guy", the evil atheist many of them already likely think you are, go ahead and let your pride in your self-identity override your basic sense of human decency and respect for what it means to be a guest in another's home. Hand him the victory.

That doesn't mean you have to let them coerce you into attending worship service, or praying with the group, or any number of other things for which abstinence from said activities would proclaim your atheism as loudly as any teeshirt, and without giving direct offense.

That might have been $0.03 worth of advice, not two, but hey, I'm known to be verbose.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
10-01-2017, 05:16 PM
(10-01-2017 11:40 AM)RWulfgar Wrote:  what is a logical argument I can make that will make my relative understand that being the fashion police is not a good idea?

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you're not proving him a liar - you're only telling the world that you fear what he may say."
[+] 4 users Like Gilgamesh's post
10-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Lol, speaking of coins, somebody put a quarter in rocket surgeon. Look out!
Seriously, if the place has good stuff for you otherwise, and is not a holey bibble circle jerk, put on a different shirt and enjoy the good stuff. It would be sad for all to miss out on the good stuff.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post