Relative says I can't wear atheist t-shirts in his house.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2017, 06:19 PM
RE: Relative says I can't wear atheist t-shirts in his house.
Do what I do, just never leave your house. Problem solved.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-01-2017, 06:30 PM
(10-01-2017 05:38 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Banjo I love you so much, man. Laugh out load

Cheers mate.

(10-01-2017 05:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I gotta tell ya bud, I'm in your corner. I'm a little surprised at some of the reactions from our members on this one. If someone loves me, they love me for who I am. If I'm an atheist who likes to wear atheist shirts (and I am) then you either accept me for who I am or you can go suck a fart.

Agreed 100%!!!

(10-01-2017 06:04 PM)cactus Wrote:  Is "just 'cause" a good enough cause? Consider

The Nazis had a "just cause", according to them. So, no.

(10-01-2017 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, tell him he can't set foot on your property because you're offended by bigots. Drinking Beverage

Damned straight!

(10-01-2017 06:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  it's about respecting another person's home.

I think this is a deeper issue. Valuing property over the individual is how theft takes place and wars begin.

I simply would not allow this person into my home, nor visit theirs. relative or not.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
10-01-2017, 07:39 PM
(10-01-2017 12:38 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  His house, his rules. Nothing much to add here.

I have to agree. Doesn't sound like the kind of shithead I'd want to be around in the first place.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
10-01-2017, 07:46 PM
(10-01-2017 07:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I have to agree. Doesn't sound like the kind of shithead I'd want to be around in the first place.

What it tells me is this: This person values his/her beliefs over the love for a relative.

Fuck 'em!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
10-01-2017, 08:02 PM
(10-01-2017 07:46 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 07:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I have to agree. Doesn't sound like the kind of shithead I'd want to be around in the first place.

What it tells me is this: This person values his/her beliefs over the love for a relative.

Fuck 'em!

Fuck his house too.
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
10-01-2017, 09:15 PM
I have to agree with the "pick your battles"
If you like that relative other than the t-shirt issue, just don't wear it and bite your tongue. Probably not worth causing real trouble and drama.

If you want to make a point instead > How about he cannot come to your house with any Christian stuff on (cross necklace or stuff like that). Because same rights for everybody. You can be the fashion police in your house just as much as he can be it in his house.

And about other relatives, easy. "Hey guys, sorry I'd love to come but I can't come this Halloween but <relative> doesn't like the way I dress and I don't want to cause problems so I will just skip this one." And this will be your standard line until. it will cause some drama but you hinted that you don't mind so there you go.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
10-01-2017, 09:54 PM
(10-01-2017 05:32 PM)unfogged Wrote:  For a bunch of militant atheists we aren't doing much for the cause here!
Consider

Not true. I prayed for that asteroid to hit.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
10-01-2017, 10:45 PM
How is this NOT a battle worth fighting? It's his very belief, personality, worldview and wardrobe that is being belittled, bigoted and abused by a narrow-minded irrational family member who is using his home and penchant for hosting major family gatherings as blackmail to make him bow to his irrational wishes/beliefs. Fuck him, and anyone who thinks this isn't a battle worth fighting then I think you are underestimating the ramifications of this type of behavior and the emotions it can elicit. I say stand your ground or make everyone miserable until they understand that's how you were made to be felt.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
10-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Just like many of us are silent and respectful when family or friends pray over a meal when in their home there is a level of respect that has to be observed in someone else's house.

There is the choice of not attending and that may lead to other family members questioning the reasons for this and perhaps other plans will be made to gather in the future.

My point is that if I enter someone else's house I will abide by their rules. If they want me to take my shoes off at the door, I will do that. If they don't drink, or condone same, I am not going to show up with a bottle. I expect the same from people who come to my home...though I set few rules. In fact, the only rule I have is that if you don't want to leave with dog and cat fur on your clothing you should just probably stay away.

Showing up for the next family function at this person's house in a shirt with an atheist message is disrespectful. Why meet bad manners with bad manners?

Go and spend time with the family or spend time with them elsewhere.

I agree the guy is being a dick but it's his castle and he can be a dick there. If you have the right to decide you will only attend in an atheist-themed shirt he also has the right to not allow you entrance.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
10-01-2017, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 11:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-01-2017 10:45 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  How is this NOT a battle worth fighting? It's his very belief, personality, worldview and wardrobe that is being belittled, bigoted and abused ...

To be honest, none of that would particularly bother me so I'd abide by his wishes and just show up at his house wearing only my fundoshi next time. I guess I could have Manly stitch this into it if I was feeling polite.

[Image: ixoye_zpsevdsojgp.gif]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post