Relative says I can't wear atheist t-shirts in his house.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: Relative says I can't wear atheist t-shirts in his house.
Sorry, if someone in my family doesn't allow me to be who I am if I'm not hurting anyone, then screw them.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 01:33 AM
(11-01-2017 12:07 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Sorry, if someone in my family doesn't allow me to be who I am if I'm not hurting anyone, then screw them.

It's just a shirt, who gives a damn? If he loves his religion more than you OP, you clearly love your pride more than him. So just don't go, create a family drama and you both get what you want Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-01-2017, 01:53 AM
(11-01-2017 01:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's just a shirt, who gives a damn? If he loves his religion more than you OP, you clearly love your pride more than him. So just don't go, create a family drama and you both get what you want Dodgy

I think morondog is right. I've read his post several times now.

Still looking at it......

I agree 100%.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-01-2017, 02:06 AM
I wasn't just thinking of respect for the man's home, by the way, though I concur with Anjele.

I'm Cajun, and family is extremely important to us. I speak also as someone who knows all too well what it means to get too contentious with family members about religion-- my own siblings won't speak to me because I am an open atheist. It pains me every time I think of this rift, torn in my family nearly 20 years ago, which they still refuse to heal. But if they do invite me to their homes, again, I will not try to offend them, even if it means swallowing my tongue and "playing nice".

What I was thinking was that this relative, playing host so often as he does, will be someone that members of the family will want to see at the same time they see you, when there is occasion for the broader family to gather. These are not random strangers about whom we are speaking, but people who live in a circle of love. So what that he is a bigot? All he's asking is that he not have his religion disrespected openly in his home by wearing shirts like Banjos (which in any other context is fucking awesome). That's why I brought up the racist speech aspect. I have a couple of family members who are openly racist, and we have asked them not to speak that way when we gather. We still love them, and we still want them there-- as long as they are respectful of the gathering environment and the wishes of the family member hosting the event.

Therefore, I do not think "fuck him!" is a viable answer. Absenting yourself from this would harm people who do love you as you are. Being present and "in his face" about the atheism thing, and thereby causing strife (even if he is equally at fault, as he is), would harm them as well. The no-harm solution is to just swallow your pride for a bit and wear something less offensive... I actually like the suggestion of a The Thinking Atheist™ teeshirt, which isn't so obvious it will cause him to get all up in arms. Win-win.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-01-2017, 02:14 AM
(11-01-2017 02:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I wasn't just thinking of respect for the man's home, by the way, though I concur with Anjele.

Fuck him.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
11-01-2017, 02:14 AM
Fuck them both, actually.

Banjo.
11-01-2017, 02:16 AM
(11-01-2017 02:14 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Fuck them both, actually.

It seems that the peace of fukkit dwells in your heart Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-01-2017, 02:20 AM
(11-01-2017 02:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:14 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Fuck them both, actually.

It seems that the peace of fukkit dwells in your heart Tongue

Not only do I sacrifice a goose to Fuckwit each day, I praise it in the name of the Lord Jesus H. Christ.

Amen. Knights who say NI!

Banjo.
11-01-2017, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 02:33 AM by Szuchow.)
(11-01-2017 02:06 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  What I was thinking was that this relative, playing host so often as he does, will be someone that members of the family will want to see at the same time they see you, when there is occasion for the broader family to gather. These are not random strangers about whom we are speaking, but people who live in a circle of love.

Or circle of indifference. Hate. Petty squabbles. Fact that they are related not necessarily mean much - I'm indifferent to many family members and others I plainly dislike and somehow I doubt that I'm only one who feels that way in entire world.

Quote:So what that he is a bigot?

So that. He is a bigot. I'm not standing silent when I hear some bigoted shit being said by family member. Were his bigotry targeted at me then I see no reason for visit, even if I think that he has right to set rules in his own house. If guy OP talks about dislike atheism so intently that even shirt offends him then I can't imagine him being pleasant to atheist, regardless of his clothing.

Quote:All he's asking is that he not have his religion disrespected openly in his home by wearing shirts like Banjos (which in any other context is fucking awesome). That's why I brought up the racist speech aspect. I have a couple of family members who are openly racist, and we have asked them not to speak that way when we gather. We still love them, and we still want them there-- as long as they are respectful of the gathering environment and the wishes of the family member hosting the event.

I don't see much value in meeting with racists even if they are family. I don't bother with people I don't respect regardless of them being related or not.

Quote:Therefore, I do not think "fuck him!" is a viable answer. Absenting yourself from this would harm people who do love you as you are.

Or not. Not all families are close knitted circles of love.

Quote:Being present and "in his face" about the atheism thing, and thereby causing strife (even if he is equally at fault, as he is), would harm them as well. The no-harm solution is to just swallow your pride for a bit and wear something less offensive...

By not resisting small things you make it harder for yourself to resist at bigger ones. For me it would be easy no shirt=no visit.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-01-2017, 02:38 AM
Maybe you should ask his what exactly it is about the shirt that is so offensive that you are not allowed in his house wearing it? Or why his faith is so weak it can be shaken by a shirt.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 5 users Like ukatheist's post